Local Live

Radio news from Alberta

Postby jon » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:46 pm

I just wrote the following in reelradio's General Comments thread:

Few radio markets are fortunate enough to have a local newspaper columnist who both cares about and writes about Radio on a regular basis. Edmonton is one of those markets. And Graham Hicks ("Hicks on Six" for the page number where his column is found) of the Edmonton Sun is one of those people.

This morning, he dedicated a good sized chunk of his column to the subject, under the title "Fudge the Location". Citing three local examples, beginning with Wolfman Jack on Cool 8-80, he concludes with: "Station managers will always justify using syndicated or out-of-town talent. They're paid to pitch the company line. But, personally, I'd rather listen to a live, on-air host that not only talks about my city, but LIVES in my city."

Similar comments were made to the CRTC when they requested input a year ago on Commercial Radio Policy in Canada. The CRTC was especially interested in how this issue relates to smaller markets.

I am very glad to hear this Local Live issue talked about in public forums, not just industry circles.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby monakitty » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:49 am

Hicks is so biased in favour of Marty Forbes it's absolutely ridiculous. This guy (Hicks) couldn't spell impartial. He is nothing more than a "National Enquirer" wanna be that couldn't cut it. And I think, (my opinion) he writes like a 6 year old.
I know for a fact that fairness is only in his vocabulary if there is something in it for him. You want to talk about a media leech, or a freebie king? As a jouralist, I feel that the man has no credibilty. And little talent.
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:00 am

Some years ago, there was enough activity in local Radio to provide a huge amount of grist for a newspaper-scribe's mill. Not so much recently.

While I agree on the concept of "Local and Live is better" if for no other reason than to support the brother/sisterhood, the unspoken, underlying message presumes that the local and "live" alternatives are also better and more compelling than that provided through syndication.

Unless such is the case, management can be forgiven for going for the less expensive option.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:12 pm

monakitty wrote: Hicks is so biased in favour of Marty Forbes it's absolutely ridiculous.

A year or so back, Graham certainly didn't hide his dislike of "the toilet humour approach" of Paul Brown's morning show on The Bear.

If Graham is close to anyone, I would think it would be Magic 99's Rob Christie, given their monthly dinner dates known as "The Art of Conversation", to which the public is invited (RSVP, of course).
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:49 am

monakitty wrote: he writes like a 6 year old.

I know for a fact that fairness is only in his vocabulary if there is something in it for him.

media leech

freebie king

no credibilty

little talent.

Seriously folks, the guy TYPES for Page Six of a SUN paper, what did you expect?

I agree that it's a shame that anyone should get paid the ammount they do for illuminating the lives of car dealers and radio jocks, or the social ramifications of the latest golf tournament / pizza eating contest, but what can you do about it?
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta