Happy Retirement Dr. Dan!

Radio news from Alberta

Happy Retirement Dr. Dan!

Postby radiofan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:42 pm

After 44 years on the Calgary airwaves, Dr. Dan Gavin is about to hang up his headphones.

Doc made his way to Calgary via CKOM in his hometown of Saskatoon, SK. On February 15, 1970 Doc started at CKXL
where he stayed doing All Nights until December 31,1985.

The Doc arrived at CHQR (still at 810 until it's move to 770 in late June 1986) on February 1, 1986 when he took over
the All Night show. When QR moved to it's current News/Talk format in 1992, Doc started working daylight hours,
doing some production work, preparing and hosting the nightly "Those Old Radio shows" feature and board opping talk shows.
This Friday, Doctor Dan Gavin is retiring, a couple of weeks shy of his 67th birthday!

Enjoy your retirement Doc. You'll now have time to catch up on watching old episodes of Lassie, Dragnet and My Mother The Car!

In case you haven't heard Doc lately, here's a spot he voiced a few weeks ago ... Dr Dan Gavin - Sunridge RV spot
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Happy Retirement Dr. Dan!

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:37 pm

Dan started a few months before I did at 'XL. We used to chat every morning when I came in around 4:30 to start the morning news shift. Love the old chart with him and the Neumann U47 mic. We had one in the newsbooth as well. Best mic I ever used in my 50 years of radio. Those puppies in good condition with the original tube inside now fetch well over 12gs on Ebay.
Congrats on your long career, old buddy!
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:15 am

Here's the crew Doc was working with a few months after he joined CKXL

Also at XL at that time was PD Bob Robertson and weekenders/fill in guys Greg Haraldson and Gord Robison
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:59 am

28 years at one station? Wow. That's amazing.

Enjoy your retirement Doc. You've earned it.

And thanks for your years of playin' the hits on XL 1140. I couldn't tell you the number of great songs I heard for the first time on my Transonic Transistor radio that was hidden under my pillow!

Is the Jackson Casey on the XL music list the same Jack Casey that worked at XL in 1973 or so and then on CFUN from Vancouver?
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:12 am

45 RPM wrote:Is the Jackson Casey on the XL music list the same Jack Casey that worked at XL in 1973 or so and then on CFUN from Vancouver?

And used a sennheiser neumann the whole time :worthybow:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby rtirdnewsguy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 am

Not a nicer person in the Calgary broadcasting arena ! Dr Dan we all learned from you to smile no matter what was happening and to think the best of our co-workers. You were a great example to all of us for those many years at QR
and you certainly deserve to sit back and relax ! Thanks young fella for all the laughs and great memories and all the
VERY VERY BEST to you in the years ahead !
rtirdnewsguy
Advanced Member

Postby Muzik » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:07 pm

Happy Retirement Dr.Dan. I spent many all nighters with you on XL listening from Saskatoon.I have tapes to prove it.Thanks for your talent and now you can really enjoy life.Wish you all the best.
Muzik
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:06 pm

I don’t think the Jackson Casey referred to is the same Jack Casey that shone so brightly for CFUN and in later years KISS-FM.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:42 pm

*ahem* ...Kind of yes, kind of no. The Jackson Casey in the survey picture is not me but rather the Jackson Casey who's name I "borrowed" when I first arrived at CFUN in 1974.
Long story short; I had been working as a newsie on CFUN in the first part of the year using my birth name. When I switched to all night jock in the fall, Chuck McCoy asked that I use some other name so as not to compromise the newsroom's credibility. Jackson Casey was the pseudonymn agreed on after many others had been bandied about from both quarters. I have long since been in touch with the "real" Jackson Casey and have received his forgiveness and blessings for my transgression of purloining his good name. He's currently the dean of the communications department at a respected Boston college.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:59 pm

Greetings to Dan !

All the best in your new horizons :cheers:
PMC

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:05 am

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:*ahem* ...Kind of yes, kind of no.

Thanks Gerry for confusing me...again :groovy:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:27 pm

Great to hear Doc on the air with Bob Steele at XL 103 in Calgary this afternoon.

Bob grew up listening to Doctor D and his Musical Pharmacy on XL 1140 .. eventually they got to work together in the mid 1980's (They also worked together at QR for a short time).

Listen to Doc with Bob Steele on XL 103
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:33 pm

Beauty!

Very classy stuff by Bob Steele and XL-103.

All the best to you, Doc!
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby raydeo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Happy Retirement to one of the finest memories around - Dr. Dan Gavin! Oh the stories we can tell about life in Calgary radio in the 60s and 70s - some of the gang who aren't with us anymore. He probably remembers far more than I do since he stuck around a lot longer. Anyway good buddy, you've worked hard to earn hanging up the phones and mic and although you already know, it never leaves your blood. Enjoy more time with your lovely bride and when you get into that travelling mode, drop in on us in the desert.
raydeo

Return to Alberta