Voice of the Flames steps aside.

Radio news from Alberta

Voice of the Flames steps aside.

Postby rtirdnewsguy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:15 am

Later this morning Peter Maher will announce his retirement as the radio voice of the Calgary Flames.
I worked with Peter when he first because the Flames broadcast voice on CHQR back in the early 80's . A humble guy - always cheerful and positive and a first-class man to work with. All the best to you Peter on your retirement . You will always be remembered for your fantastic on-air work -- YAH BABY !!!!!!!!!
rtirdnewsguy
Advanced Member

Re: Voice of the Flames steps aside.

Postby rtirdnewsguy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:51 am

small correction folks - should read when he BECAME the voice of the Flames - apologies for mistake.
rtirdnewsguy
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:21 pm

The Calgary Herald's George Johnson wrote a nice piece about Peter's retirement - http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Mah ... story.html

Also posted is an audio file with the last few minutes of Peter's call of the Flames' Stanley Cup win over the Canadiens in the Forum from 1989 - https://soundcloud.com/calgary-herald/1989-stanley-cup. Another guy who hangs around here was behind the board for the game and overseeing the network feeds.

Peter took over play-by-play duties from one-time CHQR sports director, Bart Daly, also of CKGM Montreal and CKXM Calgary.

Not mentioned in the article is Peter's one season as voice of the Calgary Stampeders. Wasn't that in '85?

:flames: GO FLAMES GO! - let's hope the new GM turns things around quickly . . . :flames:
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:36 pm

It was always great working with Peter and Doug .... Enjoy your retirement Peter, you've earned it!

Nice to see Peter all over Calgary TV Newscasts tonight! Going thru the Telus TV radio stations, there was Peter on 630 CHED and Team 1040 in Vancouver.

Still have fond 1989 memories of stapling QR 77 "YA BABY" plackards onto sticks at Dave Rutherford's local Community Centre the night before The Flames' Victory Parade in Downtown.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Rocky » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:17 pm

The champagne must have been flowing at QR the night the Flames won the Cup because the night time pattern change was forgotten. I was south of Lethbridge listening to QR's post game show with a stronger than usual signal well past sunset that night.
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:55 pm

Rocky wrote:The champagne must have been flowing at QR the night the Flames won the Cup because the night time pattern change was forgotten. I was south of Lethbridge listening to QR's post game show with a stronger than usual signal well past sunset that night.

No champagne, just Pepsi and Betty Crocker Microwave Popcorn!

And yes, pattern change was intentionally forgotten that night. I had several calls from CE Mel Hoyme reminding me that he'd likely be hearing from the FCC and the CRTC plus complaints from WABC in New
York, KOB in Albuquerque and KRPM in Seattle because of the interference. My feeling was it was a once in a lifetime thing (sorry Albertaboy!), so we'd take our chances.

No complaints were received.

25 years later, and Mel hasn't forgiven me yet. Anytime we chat, I'm reminded of "that night".
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:46 am

Pfft . . . once in a lifetime, eh? If the 15 year cycle holds up the Flames are next due in 2019 for a Stanley Cup run.

By the way, by my count the Flames have 1 cup, the Canucks still have none. :tonguewaving:

And it's a helluva stretch to connect the NHL Canucks to the 1915 PCHA Vancouver Millionaires (aka Maroons) even if the Canucks doled out cash in 2010 to by the rights to the logos, jerseys and trademarks of the Vancouver Millionaires.

GO FLAMES GO! :flames:
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:45 pm

albertaboy4life wrote:Pfft . . . once in a lifetime, eh? If the 15 year cycle holds up the Flames are next due in 2019 for a Stanley Cup run.

By the way, by my count the Flames have 1 cup, the Canucks still have none. :tonguewaving:

And it's a helluva stretch to connect the NHL Canucks to the 1915 PCHA Vancouver Millionaires (aka Maroons) even if the Canucks doled out cash in 2010 to by the rights to the logos, jerseys and trademarks of the Vancouver Millionaires.

GO FLAMES GO! :flames:

I don't recall seeing ANY mention whatsoever of The Canucks. You must be assuming that because someone lives in BC, they are a Canucks fan!

Before long, you'll be trying to convince us that "Taber Corn" is better than corn grown in BC! :tonguewaving:
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:03 pm

Calgary Flames set to honour radio icon Peter Maher
By WES GILBERTSON, Calgary Sun
First posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 05:36 PM MDT | Updated: Friday, October 24, 2014 07:10 PM MDT

After more than three decades as the radio voice of the Calgary Flames, Peter Maher will have his night in the spotlight.

He deserves it.

Maher retired last spring, and the Flames announced Friday the Hockey Hall of Fame broadcaster will be honoured during a Nov. 18 date with the Anaheim Ducks at the Saddledome.

“I’m greatly touched that the Flames are honouring me with a night,” Maher said in a statement. “I always thought these celebrations were for the game’s greats, not for a guy who was along for the ride, although thanks to the Flames, it was a great ride for over three decades.

“November 18 will allow me to thank the many fans who have listened to and supported my broadcasts over the years. My family and I look forward to this opportunity and greatly appreciate the Flames’ gesture.”

Maher, best known for his ‘Yeah, baby!’ and ‘You can put it in the win column!’ calls, was in the broadcast booth for 2,954 Flames games during his iconic career.

“Peter has been one of the classiest ambassadors of our great game in Calgary for over 30 years,” said Flames president Ken King. “He is synonymous with the Calgary Flames, and we are proud to honour his legacy in this celebration.”
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta