Still on the Air at 80: Bryan Hall

Radio news from Alberta

Still on the Air at 80: Bryan Hall

Postby jon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:29 pm

Edmonton's Bryan Hall celebrates 80th birthday
By Cam Tait , Edmonton Sun
First posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 09:27 AM MDT
Updated: Thursday, August 21, 2014 09:39 AM MDT

It is most fitting Bryan Hall has a very significant birthday the same week The Fringe is in Edmonton: they both put on great shows.

Bryan has been doing it for decades on Edmonton radio with his sportscasts on 630 CHED and 930 CJCA and his play-by-play work calling football and hockey games.

He's still at it. And while he celebrated his 80th birthday Tuesday, Bryan was reading sportscasts on the 630 CHED Morning News.

But when Bryan is away from the microphone, he can be seen quietly standing, both hands in his pockets, creating a jingling sound with loose change, arching his back slightly -- and being ever-so observant of everyone and everything around him.

SMART GUY

"He's a very smart guy and could have been a great psychologist," said retired morning man Gord Whitehead, who worked with Bryan for 33 years at CJCA and CHED.

"Most people don't know the man, only the performer. They also don't know how many people he has helped, very quietly."

Bryan loves Edmonton and is one of the city's biggest cheerleaders.

Since arriving in Edmonton in 1976, Gord has seen Bryan promoting the city whenever, and wherever, he could.

"I honestly can't think of anyone who has more tirelessly boasted the city," says Gord.

"He's a gem and one of the city's greatest assets."

It's a known fact throughout Canada just how passionate he is about Edmonton.

Retired Vancouver Province sports columnist Jim Taylor has seen it for years.

"I kid him, but I've known him for half a century, and as a broadcaster and a promoter for local teams in Edmonton," Jim said from his Shawnigan Lake home on Vancouver Island.

"There's been no one better."

And then there's the radio stories which are legendary.

Jim covered the Canadian Football League for decades and made many trips as a guest with Bryan in the broadcast booth.

"Half-time interviews were pretty easy during Eskimo games in Edmonton-- always fun and pretty easy, because Bryan would ask the question and then answer it," said Jim.

"Once Bill Good Sr., himself a legendary broadcaster, decided it would be a good idea if neither he nor I said a word during the interview.

"I don't think Hallsy noticed."

Me? I first met Bryan in 1976 at a Junior A hockey game in Spruce Grove when I asked him who he thought would win that year's Stanley Cup.

"Montreal Canadiens," he said, just like the way he pronounced their name on the radio.

"Wanna bet?" I proposed.

He accepted my wager of 50 cents. Come to think of it, I never paid him.

WIFE IN THE BOOTH

In his final years of broadcasting Eskimo games, he always had his late wife Lil in the broadcast booth with him.

Morley Scott, who took over the play-by-play from Bryan in 2009, tells a heartwarming story of how Bryan could combine his gentle touch while calling a football game.

Before Morley got the job, he sat in with Bryan and Lil during a broadcast.

Morley said at one point of the broadcast Bryan stood up and kept calling the game while he massaged his wife's neck.

Bryan Hall is one of a kind.

Late happy birthday, my friend.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Still on the Air at 80: Bryan Hall

Postby jon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:33 pm

Just realized that I forgot to mention that Bryan Hall celebrated his 80th birthday with a nice celebration at CHED back in August.

I wasn't aware that the Edmonton Sun had run an article.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta