Dave Taylor retiring from CHQR

Radio news from Alberta

Dave Taylor retiring from CHQR

Postby rtirdnewsguy » Fri May 15, 2015 12:18 pm

From the QR website today :

Why I’m leaving: You have to get off the stage before they boo you off

Calgary, AB, Canada / News Talk 770 (CHQR)
Dave Taylor
May 15, 2015 12:43 pm
Why I’m leaving: You have to get off the stage before they boo you off
I’m tempted to start this off by writing, “I promised Mess I wouldn’t do this…” Or to post a picture of myself alongside a picture of Rachel Notley and proclaim, “My work here is done!” Because I’m always tempted to make a joke wherever I can. But the simple fact is this: I’m gearing down. Stepping away from the day-to-day. Retiring. Leaving the show, and my colleagues here at News Talk 770, two weeks from today.

Now, before the trolls and the bitter old ex-broadcasters who lurk on bitter old ex-broadcaster chat rooms on the Internet get their chance to speculate on what, in their minds, is really going on, let me dispel the predictable “reasons” they’ll make up to satisfy whatever stories they have to tell themselves.

I am leaving of my own accord. I did not get fired for alienating the Power Elite. For being too much of a lefty or – now, perhaps – not being lefty enough. For insisting climate change is real or that you should vaccinate your kids. Or, like Johnny Fever from “WKRP In Cincinnati”, for saying “booger” on the air. Corus Entertainment did not refuse to renew my contract for any reason, including that I cost too much. To be fair, I suppose I might have short-circuited any dastardly plans my employer had in that regard, by giving management my notice seven weeks ago. We decided not to make it public ’til today, so as to keep this a moderately short goodbye and so you’d only have two weeks to think, “Oh, I’m listening to the lame duck.”

I do not hate the media business. I love the business, and probably the biggest reason why I said yes to the offer to come back here full time was because I never had the chance to say goodbye when I got elected to the Legislature in 2004. When I took my leave of absence at the beginning of the election campaign, management – and I – thought I’d be back: management, because they were convinced I was going to lose! And me, because, well, yeah, honestly, when the campaign started I didn’t think I was going to win, either. But I did. And as 64 rookie MLAs found out a week ago Wednesday, the new job starts the day after the election. So, thank you, John Vos and Garry McKenzie, for giving me the opportunity to come back to 770 at the very time you were trying to re-invent and re-design talk radio, and thank you for letting me be part of that.

I want to acknowledge the team of hosts and producers that John Vos has built here, too. They are, simply, a fantastic team who work collaboratively, collegially, and creatively to try and boldly go where Rush Limbaugh and his ilk would never go. I remember the supposed “good old days” of warring talk shows, each in their own little silo, producers loyal only to their host with some hosts barely speaking to one another. I remember those days. And these days – these ways – are better. Bruce, Vanessa, Stacey, Roger, both Robs, Angela, Andrea, Mark, Jock, Danny, and the currently-on-maternity-leave Whitney, “Salut!” to everyone of you.

So, why am I going? Leaving? Retiring? Whatever you want to call it? Because it’s time. With luck, you can’t tell it yet, but it’s only a matter of time before it begins to show on the radio. I have always believed that you have best-before dates for everything you do, and you should do your customers, audience, clients, constituents – whomever you serve – the favour of getting off the stage before they’re ready to boo you off. So I am.

Oh, I was only being partly facetious when I suggested putting up a picture of Rachel Notley and me with the slogan, “My Work Here is Done.” It was actually 30 years ago today that Martha and I first laid eyes on Calgary, while on vacation on a road trip to “do the West”. By the end of that summer, we had relocated here. Mere weeks after that, Premier Lougheed stepped down. And it only took a few weeks of Premier Getty to convince me of the need to change government. That has been, in one form or another, my mission ever since.

Which proves I’m patient and persistent, if nothing else. Although, I did just about lose patience when Jim Prentice and Preston Manning lured the ‘Wildrose 11’ to the PC party. And when I gave my notice here at the end of March, I figured I was washing my hands of the mission and leaving it to someone else to carry that torch.

And lo and behold, you all picked it up!

You can keep the gold watch. I’ve got my going-away present.

Dave Taylor
rtirdnewsguy
Advanced Member

Re: Dave Taylor retiring from CHQR

Postby Rocky » Fri May 15, 2015 2:20 pm

How refreshing to actually see someone retire or leave a job on their terms.

No bull shit excuse about resigning because you want to look after the kids or raise the pet gerbels.

All the best to you Dave. You'll be missed.

Another major brick out of the crumbling wall known as QR 77.
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri May 15, 2015 3:03 pm

Bravo, Dave.

I was lucky enough to leave on my own terms - and it's odd how I just KNEW, it was time.

I was doing a remote for CKNW - for a Car Dealer (how trite) and I was doing a cut in from the slightly worn HINO truck, and I just knew that this was - IT.

I packed it in, on good terms with CORUS. They were VERY nice to me. BUT - I had been on the air, since before Man landed on the moon, and worked at some cool places with great people BUT I was also T I R E D.

I was, simply, done.

Try Mornings and back up Mornings for 20 plus years, and wow, that's enough. (My fav shift was always PM Drive - ahhhhh man.......)

Best to all.....Mr. Taylor - enjoy your down time.

You deserve it.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Muzik » Fri May 15, 2015 4:36 pm

I will miss Dave on QR and have enjoyed his style for many years. A major loss for Corus Calgary but I sure hope he enjoys retirement.
Muzik
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta