New Studios - Corus Calgary

Radio news from Alberta

New Studios - Corus Calgary

Postby Teacher » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:19 am

Corus Calgary have been on the air from their new studios, at the corner of 17th Ave and 33rd St. SW Calgary, since September 13. Nice studios, from I've heard. If someone has some pics, it would be great if they were posted here. I'd like to see what they built.
Teacher

Re: New Studios - Corus Calgary

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:21 pm

Let me get this straight. CORUS is losing it's pants, as its shares crater and their ratings slide at their plethora of AM dogs - and they get new studios. I think a smarter plan would be to downsize and keep it tight - but - I guess CORUS thinks they are going to skate through this Economic turbulence. I wonder.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Rocky » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:06 pm

Hopefully they finally built something that can stand up to fire (sprinklers), flood and winter weather conditions. The former facility, knocked down on that same site, that housed CFAC radio and CHFM during its early years of Rogers ownership sure could.
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby groundwave » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:43 pm

There's a photo of what's likely the front of the building posted here:

https://www.facebook.com/NewsTalk770Calgary/posts/950607441644701

Incidentally, it appears to be located not all that far from the parcel of land proposed for the controversial "Calgary Next" arena/stadium development.
groundwave
Advanced Member

Postby drex » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:23 am

The guys over at GS Broadcast have shared a few on their twitter page.

https://twitter.com/gsbroadcasttech
drex

Postby thedriveyyc » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:36 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:Let me get this straight. CORUS is losing it's pants, as its shares crater and their ratings slide at their plethora of AM dogs - and they get new studios. I think a smarter plan would be to downsize and keep it tight - but - I guess CORUS thinks they are going to skate through this Economic turbulence. I wonder.

This. ALL of this.

Jeff @ The Drive
thedriveyyc

Postby rtirdnewsguy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:02 am

I see a lot of flapping of the yap from people who as usual have no clue about this story.
Staffers of the Calgary Corus cluster had to work in terrible conditions after the flooding -- they were moved into temporary facilities slapped together in a matter of weeks . I don't know how they did it -- just plain awful facilities for the last several years ! Extremely high leasing rates at the Eau Claire district ( where the temp studios were ) as well as very limited and extremely expensive parking were some of the main reasons for the decision to build new studios. The former CFAC site was picked because its half a block from an LRT station making it very convenient for staff to use the transit system .It doesn't matter what you think about Corus and its programming decisions etc. - its great to see all of these hard-working people in a new building actually designed for broadcasting - a much healthier working environment !
rtirdnewsguy
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:55 am

rtirdnewsguy wrote:I see a lot of flapping of the yap from people who as usual have no clue about this story.
Staffers of the Calgary Corus cluster had to work in terrible conditions after the flooding -- they were moved into temporary facilities slapped together in a matter of weeks . I don't know how they did it -- just plain awful facilities for the last several years ! Extremely high leasing rates at the Eau Claire district ( where the temp studios were ) as well as very limited and extremely expensive parking were some of the main reasons for the decision to build new studios. The former CFAC site was picked because its half a block from an LRT station making it very convenient for staff to use the transit system .It doesn't matter what you think about Corus and its programming decisions etc. - its great to see all of these hard-working people in a new building actually designed for broadcasting - a much healthier working environment !

I totally agree with you rtirdnewsguy. The past few years since the fire at Shaw Court must have been hell for everyone at QR, Country 105 and Q 107. They may as well have been working out of an ATCO trailer in the parking lot at Chinook Centre (at least there would have been lots of free parking). The on-air sound of QR from Eau Claire left a lot to be desired. Being on the LRT line is a huge plus and there's not much chance of a major flood in the new location.

Sure the new facility is a big expense for Corus, but in the long run it will pay off. When the day comes that Corus decides to get out of the radio business, it's much easier to unload the stations along with their own building and property than it is when there is a big dollar lease in a trendy neighbourhood involved.

Looking back 30 years, the move to Palliser was a major upgrade from the old 830 9th Avenue studios, but there were issues. Having to show your pass to the goons at the :"security" desk every time you came into the building in non-office hours was bull shit. Most office tours are geared to a 9 - 5 world, not a 24 hour operation, so there's issues with heat and air conditioning, parking for on-air guests, janitorial workers who are used to cleaning a regular office etc etc.

After several years of working in less than ideal conditions, weeks of commuting to Edmonton to perform their duties, these people deserve a spanking new home! Enjoy it.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:28 pm

A pat on the back for 'radiofan' and 'rtirdnewsguy' for pointing out the REAL story behind the new digs at Corus Calgary. Contributors who don't have first hand knowledge should bite their keyboards (tongues).
I hope the staff enjoys their new surroundings.
Talker
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta