SCMO (SCA) Alive and Well in Alberta

Radio news from Alberta

SCMO (SCA) Alive and Well in Alberta

Postby jon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:21 pm

I've never researched it, but I wasn't aware that any SCMO channels were still in use on any FM station in Alberta.

As part of a recent Intervention in favour of another Ethnic FM station in Edmonton, CKUA's CEO Ken Regan indicates that CKUA's Edmonton and Calgary transmitters are both running SCMO channels.

Please be advised that CKUA Radio Network supports the licensing of a new ethnic radio station for Edmonton. Further, we wish to offer support for the application(s) submitted by VMS Media Group.

For almost a decade, CKUA has conducted business with Mr. Ranjit Sidhu, who manages and operates two ethnic SCMO services utilizing CKUA frequencies (Radio Sur Sangam in Calgary which utilizes CKUA’s 93.7 FM-SCMO; and Radio Sur Sagar which utilizes CKUA’s 94.9 FM-SCMO frequency in Edmonton).

Both of these services provide important ethnic language content for the burgeoning south Asian and East Asian populations of Calgary and Edmonton; and despite competition from private FM and AM stations in these primary markets, Mr. Sidhu and his team have managed to make these enterprises work, suggesting that he has a loyal and established clientele that values and relies upon his services.

Mr. Sidhu is also a trusted and dependable partner for CKUA. He pays his bills on time; he is an honest negotiator; he is extremely committed to serving his communities and he is a knowledgeable and dedicated broadcasting entrepreneur. I know the Commission, the community and the Canadian broadcasting system would be well served should he be granted the privilege of a commercial license for Edmonton.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta