Christmas X2 in Edmonton

Radio news from Alberta

Christmas X2 in Edmonton

Postby radiofan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:50 pm

All Christmas Music has arrived in Edmonton today.

Edmonton doesn't have one, but it has two stations claiming the title of Edmonton's Official Christmas Station!

Newcap's 96.3 Capital FM and Corus' 92.5 Fresh FM both starting jingling their tunes for the most wonderful time of the year this morning.

Image Image

Happy Friday the 13th! (of November)

It looks like Capital was first out of the gate at 12:53AM with "Last Christmas" by Wham! .... Fresh jumped on the sleigh 9 minutes later at 1:02 AM with Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas"

96.3 Capital FM Website

92.5 Fresh FM Website
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Christmas X2 in Edmonton

Postby jon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:44 pm

I wondered who was first. Especially with all the emphasis, in years past, on consultants who claimed that their research proved that "the first one out of the gate" with Christmas music was the only one with a big ratings boost.

Reportedly first in Canada this year.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby groundskeeper willy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:11 pm

jon wrote:I wondered who was first.

Looking at Mediabase data, Capital FM got things rolling with Wham!'s "Last Christmas" at 11:55pm Thursday, while Fresh started their seasonal onslaught at 2:03am Friday with Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas...".

Personally, I think it's way too early to roll out this type of stunt programming, regardless of whatever type of alleged "ratings boost" the consultants claim it provides.
groundskeeper willy
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Why are you calling the ratings boosts "alleged"?
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby rwbrown » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:47 am

With two stations jumping on the early Christmas music bandwagon, will this change the effect for the ratings boost results seen for the early adopters.

I also believe all FRESH brands went jingle bells.

Just a matter of time for QM in Vancouver.
rwbrown

Postby Aaron » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:16 pm

rwbrown wrote:With two stations jumping on the early Christmas music bandwagon, will this change the effect for the ratings boost results seen for the early adopters.

I also believe all FRESH brands went jingle bells.

Just a matter of time for QM in Vancouver.

Yes. Two big stations at the same time in a market of this size can cancel or at least significantly mute the bump that one big station would get.

As for FRESH, Edmonton, London, and Barrie have flipped. Winnipeg, Hamilton/Toronto, Kingston, and Peterborough have not.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:57 pm

radiofan wrote:All Christmas Music has arrived in Edmonton today.

Edmonton doesn't have one, but it has two stations claiming the title of Edmonton's Official Christmas Station!

Oh no! What a mockery of the "official" designation! This calls for an investigation by the Christmas radio governing body.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:53 pm

On paper, anyway, the concept is sound. Last year, CHFI-FM Toronto became the first station in Canada to go All Christmas Music to coincide with the Santa Claus Parade.

In Edmonton, Saturday evening was the "Holiday Light Up" Downtown and the opening of Candy Cane Lane West of Downtown. During the day, lots of homeowners were putting up their lights, in part because of the forecasts of snow for Saturday and Sunday evenings.

The highlight was the lighting of 14,000 lights on the 22 metre Christmas tree at City Hall.

Those were the plans, anyway. The events in Paris on Friday may have put a damper on all this talk of Christmas, but I'm sure All Christmas Music sounded like a good idea in the wee hours of Friday morning when two stations "pulled the switch".
jon
Advanced Member

Postby thedriveyyc » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:22 pm

I know that, in years past, whenever Kiss/Lite in Calgary went all-Christmas, they enjoyed a very significant ratings bump...but in my time with Rogers YYC, I don't recall them ever going THIS early.

Jeff @ TheDriveYYC
thedriveyyc

Return to Alberta