910 CFCW Becomes Real Country 910

Radio news from Alberta

910 CFCW Becomes Real Country 910

Postby albertaboy4life » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:18 am

Looks like the CFCW brand is gone from Newcap's 910 AM Drumheller -

https://www.realcountry910.ca/

Not sure this the right response to the launch of 104.5 More Country FM Strathmore.

Gonna miss the Country Classics Show with Pete Hicks -

https://www.realcountry910.ca/on-air/
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: 910 CFCW Becomes Real Country 910

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:09 am

This was my first radio station 49 years ago. The only thing still the same is the 910 frequency and, when I viewed rhe website, still the same main switchboard phone number as 1969.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Re: 910 CFCW Becomes Real Country 910

Postby TRENT310 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:14 am

Like I commented on their Facebook page, this is what I feel should have happened along with the rest of the Q Country branded stations in that region (CIBQ, CKSQ) back when they rolled out the Real Country brand instead of breaking out the one particular outlet for this experiment, when NCC controls the last remaining full-power music format AM radio stations in Alberta since they shuttered the rest of the low and medium power AMs in favour of cheaper-to-operate FM facilities.

CKDQ's pattern out of Strathmore still has better coverage of populated areas than CFCW's pattern which is highly directional to the north, along with much better sounding audio (wider frequency response) in general compared to CFCW.
There were also way more ad breaks on CFCW which sometimes would result in strange timing gaps on CKDQ, or else the automation would just fit one extra song in to fill the unsold ad time. The only time both stations would track closely was during the Saturday night commercial free segment. Other specials like the Zabava program were not carried on CKDQ.

Basically, we're back to the good old format we've listened to on CKDQ for years, decades... afternoons voice tracked out of CKGY, and Casey Clarke syndication in the evenings (well, I guess they purchased all of CIGV so it's technically all theirs to use). I was happy to hear this change back right at midnight today.
TRENT310
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta