Bruce Bowie Hangs Up His Headphones After 47 Years

Radio news from Alberta

Bruce Bowie Hangs Up His Headphones After 47 Years

Postby radiofan » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:52 am

After 47 years, 630 CHED legend Bruce Bowie announces his retirement
630CHED By Kirby Bourne Digital Content Coordinator

On Thursday morning, Edmonton radio legend Bruce Bowie announced that, after 47 years behind the mic, he will be retiring at the end of August.

“After listening to 630 CHED for years, I thought it was beyond my reach. Somehow I wound up spending 21 years of my life here,” Bowie said. “I feel like I was embraced by the Edmonton listeners from the start and will be forever grateful. This city has been good to me.”

Bowie’s career started in 1972 at CKSA in Lloydminster, Alta.

“There is something magical about talking with people and interacting with people and that’s what fascinated me with it at first. I just thought it sounded like these guys were having so much fun,” he said.

Six months later, he made the move to Lethbridge when an opportunity to work at CJOB came up, and a pay raise from $330 a month to $355.

“I couldn’t say no to that!” Bowie laughed.

After that, he made the move to Saskatchewan and spent eight months at CHAB Moose Jaw for his first morning host job — and another whopping pay raise to $450 a month.

At the end of the eight months, his company transferred him to 630 CHED where he worked for 12 and a half years.

“I was so nervous about being on air in the big city that I broke out in hives on my first day!” he said with a laugh. “That’s a true story.”

Then, in 1986, a startup station caught his eye. KING FM was an oldies station that would eventually become what is now 92.5 The ‘Chuck, a 630 CHED sister station in Edmonton.

After a year and a half with that station, Bowie made the move to Calgary to another oldies station, CISS AM. After just shy of two years with that station, he was approached by CISN Country 103.9 in Edmonton to come take over their morning show after Wes Montgomery left. Bowie said he was honoured to have that position for 21 years.

Read the full story along with audio and video clips at: https://globalnews.ca/news/5712907/bruc ... -630-ched/
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta