What if?

Radio news from Alberta

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:53 pm

9.7!
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:04 pm

I started at 'QR at the beginning of the Summer Book. Whaddya want for six weeks' work?

Prior to that, I took CHFM afternoons from #8 to Numero Uno! That took about 90 days.

Prior to that, I had bigger numbers on afternoons than CFR had in the morning.

Prior to that, I was #1 at CFCN.

Prior to that.....

I believe it was Casey Stengal who said "If ya done it, it ain't braggin'."

And, btw, Totts. Who drove a Buick up your arse and left the motor running...? :)
pave
Advanced Member

Postby XFM » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:06 pm

Passive aggressive use of the :)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
XFM
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:46 pm

Them thar "eemoteecoms" do have their uses.

"Passive aggressive"? Indeed, an astute grasp of the obvious, what?

But, wait! Maybe not! Possibly an actual attempt at humour to diffuse a bout of flaming....?

It's an option. :o
pave
Advanced Member

Postby XFM » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:20 am

Just surprise that someone who purports to be a master of communication skills would resort to the use of adolescent icons.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
XFM
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:13 am

"Adolescent".... according to whom...compared to whom? And is there any contradictory evidence to that claim?

One of the things about "communicating" is having the flexibility to represent one's self in a number of ways.

Anaways... The goal of becoming a better communicator has never been stated as "Getting everybody to agree with you and feel good - all the time."

Meanwhile, and as I have mentioned in another thread on another site, we are - right now - accessing another electronic medium - a medium which has as its primary access-point... the Sub-Dominant hemisphere.

This is the hemisphere that generates emotions, completes patterns and the like.

The Dominant hemisphere is the one that retains most of the intellectual and linear processing capacities and is less-engaged when communicating through an electronic medium.

Is it any wonder, then, that internet "flame wars" are so common... and so vitriolic?

Further, ever noticed how much more difficult it is to get through a typed piece on a computer screen (like this one) compared to the same material on a printed page......?

Plus, retention drops off - and quickly. And "spelling" and syntax goes all to hell.

The emotions that are generated from accessing this medium, however, are significant.

Who'd a thunk it? :)
pave
Advanced Member

Postby XFM » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:29 am

"Further, ever noticed how much more difficult it is to get through a typed piece on a computer screen (like this one) compared to the same material on a printed page......?"

Ah, no.

"Is it any wonder, then, that internet "flame wars" are so common... and so vitriolic?"

It has been my experience that simply ignoring the perpetrator limits the flaming.
(ref: Mom, lecture 219. subpara. B. "sticks and stones..." 1978)

My understanding of the male brain is the Dominant (not sure why the caps) hemisphere governs concrete items like the remote, the beer, and the penis
whereas the sub Dominant hemisphere governs what channel to choose, when to get the next beer and where to use the penis (at times, even with a partner.)
XFM
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:50 am

Indeed, ignoring the barbs and deflecting the issue are two strategies.

They are hardly conducive, however, to advancing the discussion.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby monakitty » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:36 pm

All this over the use of an emicon? :unsure:
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:48 pm

Well... not all!

Another discussion was triggered as a result... I think. :)
pave
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:42 am

Meanwhile - a couple of points for ponder or consideration:

Is there any particular, pressing reason that national TV-spots have very little to do with the advertiser's "content" and are almost totally driven by emotional elements?

Is there any particular reason that Radio - certainly at the level of locally-produced spots - takes the opposite tack?

Do Radio "insiders" understand that Radio is, primarily, an emotional medium?

Do they know how to efficiently exploit this distinction?

Is there any particular reason that so many PDs still insist that their Talent speak "naturally" on-the-air?

If the content of radio commercials is forgotten by an overwhelming percentage of an audience, is there a definable reason for advertisers to continue using the medium?

These are all "communicative" issues.... with distinctions that are dependent on the fact that an electronic medium is in play.

I wonder if any of these points are being reasonably addressed by anyone in our business.

And, if not.... why not? <_<
pave
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:23 am

Further, is there any particular reason that Radio "professionals" shy away from these (above) considerations and discussions?

I have some suspicions. Namely, that these discussions are foreign to many in the business and include material that has never been made an issue. And, as such, this material can be very discomforting for those who might be thinkin' on it.

An alternative is to ignore it altogether. (An interesting strategy is to put our hands over our ears and holler out "La-la-la-la-la-la!")

I have to wonder: Howcum that is?

I am suggesting that if Radio-people have come to a position of premature closure and take the decision that they have already learned everything there is to know about exploiting the medium, then we are dealing with a dead medium.

Is this possible?
pave
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Alberta