What if?

Radio news from Alberta

Postby albertaboy4life » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:45 pm

Apologies if this feeble attempt at a distraction proves pointless and also if I'm incorrect with the dates/details/facts.

What if CFCN, in 1984, decided to go full-blown news/talk instead of launching AM 106? And 'XL leaned younger rather than competing with CFR?

What if the new management team that succeeded Jerry Forbes didn't show Wes Montgomery, Chuck Chandler and Len Thuesen the door at 630 CHED? This one might've put a damper on the launch of CKRA FM but would people have continued to listen to CHED as those announcers aged and the music changed? (And was it Roy Hennessy and Chuck McCoy who dismissed Wes, Chuck and Len?)

Or what if CHED had got an FM licence when they applied in the '70s? Would Bob McCord have stuck around?

What if Greg Haraldson and Norm Edwards never left 'XL? Or maybe I should ask what if Brad Phillips wasn't Greg's successor? I still remember being irritated by the "XL in-in-instant replay" and wishing 'XL had the same JAM jingle package as 'LG and CHED. What if Gary James had immediately succeeded Norm Edwards rather than Jim Jackson?

What if Frank Callaghan didn't dismiss Gerry Forbes at QR? I still find it odd that Frank decided to do so on the grounds that Gerry was a Rock Jock especially when more than a few Vancouver Rock Jocks have moved into other formats and entertained/served older audiences (including Frank). With Gerry at QR would KIK have lasted longer?

What if CFAC's offer to purchase KIK FM was approved by the CRTC?

I'll stop there.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:09 pm

albertaboy4life wrote:What if Greg Haraldson and Norm Edwards never left 'XL?? Or maybe I should ask what if Brad Phillips wasn't Greg's successor?? I still remember being irritated by the "XL in-in-instant replay" and wishing 'XL had the same JAM jingle package as 'LG and CHED.? What if Gary James had immediately succeeded Norm Edwards rather than Jim Jackson?

XL lost it's momentum after Greg and Norm left for QR within a few months of each other. Without Greg as PD and Norm as Morning Man, lost it all to AM 106 almost over night.

Other than maybe paying royalties to Mike Joseph for using the phrase HOT HITS, I could never understand XL's reversing it and the HITS HOT bus benches all over town.

The Jam jingles would have sounded great on 1140.

albertaboy4life wrote:What if Frank Callaghan didn't dismiss Gerry Forbes at QR?? I still find it odd that Frank decided to do so on the grounds that Gerry was a Rock Jock especially when more than a few Vancouver Rock Jocks have moved into other formats and entertained/served older audiences (including Frank).? With Gerry at QR would KIK have lasted longer?

I think the removal of Forbes came from much higher up than Frank Callaghan. Frank was only there keeping the PD chair warm until QR could recruit someone who knew something about the News/Talk format. Someone told me Frank spent most of his day working on crossword puzzles. The first PD for the format, Rick Lewis barely lasted a year.

They offered Forbes a truckload of money to make the move from CHFM. His audience didn't follow him to QR, I guess the billboard campaign with a fried egg in mid air and the caption "Gerry's Flipped To AM" didn't really catch the attention of his former Music 96 listeners.

QR's News/Talk format started off with Dan Willmott in mornings. That lasted until late May [less than 3 months]. They then brought in Ronald T Robinson to fill in until they could snag Forbes. RTR was well known from his years at CFCN and CFR and he fit right in at QR. The hiring of Forbes was a big mistake on the part of QR management and the powers at WIC. Had they stuck with RTR, he'd probably still be there today.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:04 am

Tottenham Man wrote: Had all the things happened, or didn't that you've suggested, radio would still be the steaming shit pile it is today.

<<Stands up and claps wildly>>
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:37 am

I was also thinking about the "Hits Hot" positioning, Radiofan. I actually called XL around that time and asked why they were "Hits Hot" and CHED was "Hot Hits"? I was told it was a play on It's Hot. Given past comments from Littleric and others about XL's frugalness, I'll side with you on them not wanting to pay Mike Joseph.

I totally forgot about RTR taking over from Dan Wilmott. As much as I loved watching Forbes et. al. with Gord Gillies at 7:15 each morning on Calgary 7, I agree RTR would've been the better choice. I don't think QR has ever landed the perfect morning show since moving into the News/Talk format.

I still smile when I think of how Forbes prank called Jim Davies when he was filling in for Rutherford.

One more what if . . . What if Dan Freeman had stayed at CFR?
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:39 am

albertaboy4life wrote:
One more what if . . . What if Dan Freeman had stayed at CFR?

I think you can refer to Tot's earlier comment regarding piles of fecal matter.
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:21 am

I think Rick Lewis ended up at CKUA after QR, no idea how long that lasted. I kinda doubt they gave him a Lexus as a company car.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:26 pm

And what if Tim Klassen was standing on the corner eating a cheeseburger when he drove by in it?
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:31 pm

Everybody except managements knew that "Forbsey" would kill - just murder the 18-34 male demo and it was only a matter of time before he'd land at C-JAY.... with a price-tag! :)

CHFM was strong in women and 'QR had a 40-plus demo.

When Ted and I worked 'QR through their Summer Book, nobody expected a 30% increase. By that time, however, the die had been cast..... and besides, the deck chairs had been freshly painted. :)
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:36 pm

Yes, yes, yes, but what about the fat lady - wasshe warming up or what?
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Alberta