The New Rogers Home Alarm System

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

The New Rogers Home Alarm System

Postby jon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:11 pm

Welcome home: Rogers launches home monitoring and automation system
Canada NewsWire
TORONTO, Aug. 17, 2011
Smart Home Monitoring from Rogers provides anytime, anywhere solutions with real-time Home Security, Home Automation Control and Energy Management
To view the Social Media Release, click here: http://smr.newswire.ca/en/rogers-commun ... ion-system

TORONTO, Aug. 17, 2011 /CNW/ - Imagine if you could feel closer to home, even when your front door is far away. You can now truly be the master of the house with Smart Home Monitoring, an innovative home monitoring and automation service launched today by Rogers. From remotely controlling thermostat levels, to scheduling lights to turn on when you get home, this new system delivers a connected personalized experience at home, at work or on-the-go. Powered by both Rogers cable and Rogers wireless networks, Smart Home Monitoring lets consumers automate and manage sensors, cameras, thermostats, lights and small appliances from their computer or smartphone.

"Consumers are looking for solutions to enable their connected home seamlessly, reliably and securely," said Ian Pattinson, Vice-President & General Manager, Smart Home Monitoring, Rogers Communications. "With Smart Home Monitoring, we have reinvented home security with easy home automation and energy management providing Rogers customers with a truly connected home of the future."

At the heart of the system is an ultra-rugged, easy-to-use touchpad that consumers use to arm/disarm and manage their system. Available in wall-mount or table-top, the touchpad provides quick 1-touch access to home security functions, home automation apps for lighting, cameras and thermostats as well as multimedia apps for photos, traffic, weather and sports. When an alarm occurs, the touchpad instantly connects with the Rogers central monitoring station simultaneously over both Rogers cable and wireless networks. The touchpad constantly communicates with its highly encrypted smart sensors throughout the home, checking their status, signal strength, battery level and even room temperature.

Staying connected to your home is easy - consumers can securely connect to their Smart Home Monitoring service through any computer or a smartphone allowing them to view, manage and secure their homes through a two-step security process at any time from any internet-based location.

Additional features and benefits of the service include:
  • Real-time, 24/7 monitoring at the Rogers Central Monitoring Station provided by certified security experts with over twenty years of experience in security, monitoring and emergency services
  • IP-based dual network connections ensure constant connection of the home to the Rogers Central Monitoring Station
  • Real-time sensor and video alerts sent via text and email
  • Remote access from a computer or smartphone to securely view, control and arm/disarm the home
  • Professional installation by specially-trained Rogers cable technicians
"Consumers want a next generation system that protects and connects their home seamlessly with their connected lifestyle," Pattinson said. "Smart Home Monitoring is a natural evolution for our business that leverages our proven networks, expertise in communication and commitment to innovation and next generation connected experiences."

Smart Home Monitoring has three rate plans, each including always connected wireless-data backup, starting with the Home Basics plan at $39.99 per month. Rogers Cable Hi-Speed Internet required. The Touchpad starter kit is $149.00 on a three-year term, or $749 with no term, with optional sensors available a-la-carte and in discounted Value Packs. All systems are professionally installed for a one-time fee of $99.00.

Smart Home Monitoring is now available to Rogers Hi-Speed Internet customers in the Rogers cable footprint across Ontario. To learn more, visit http://www.rogers.com/smarthomemonitoring.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: The New Rogers Home Alarm System

Postby Russ_Byth » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:45 pm

Does it warn you of an upcoming format change?
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:10 pm

How about this for a Home Alarm system guaranteed to send any vagrants running....an alarm trip at your home flips on your Home Theatre System blaring 10-thousand songs in a row on Sonic-FM! :tail
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby RationalKeith » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:55 am

Interesting.

Utilities in the Puget Sound area offered security alarm systems years ago, using their metering comm capability.

Applications are available for remote monitoring over the Internet.

The Spykee robot from Meccano, the toy, is oriented to looking around your residence on remote command over the Internet. I don't know if Lego Mindstorm can do that, it is quite powerful.

But most people need simple, turnkey, capability.

Of course sensors are critical - triggering from wind gusts moving a large window at the end of a hallway, or your cat, fon't cut it. (IIRC some systems use different frequencies to differentiate wind deflecting the window from B&E (the breaking glass will have higher frequencies).)
RationalKeith
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:34 pm

Does this explain why `Alarm Force' is running all the tv spots, because Rogers can do better ?
PMC

Postby groundwave » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Just last week Rogers had reportedly taken it's first steps towards operating their own in-house banking and credit card service. Maybe that's not working out very well and the home monitoring thing is "plan B."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/rogers-sets-sights-on-banking-business/article2155009/
groundwave
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:56 pm

Found this at slashdot, and all I can say is, if you recently purchased a Cisco router, have a good look at it, since it may fall into another clone realm.
========
Woman sentenced for selling counterfeit Cisco equipment

A Virginia woman was sentenced Friday to five years in prison for leading a "sophisticated" conspiracy to import and sell counterfeit Cisco Systems networking equipment, the U.S. Department of Justice said.

In addition to the prison time, Judge Gerald Bruce Lee of U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia also ordered Chun-Yu Zhao, 43, of Chantilly, Virginia, to pay US$2.7 million restitution and a $17,500 fine.

Lee also stripped Zhao, from China, of her U.S. citizenship and ordered her to forfeit four homes in Maryland and northern Virginia, three condominiums in Chantilly, a Porsche Boxster, a Porsche Cayenne, a Mercedes sedan and seven bank accounts containing more than $1.6 million.

=========

Full story is here

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/400 ... =16&fpid=1
PMC

Postby TRENT310 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:06 pm

PMC wrote:Found this at slashdot, and all I can say is, if you recently purchased a Cisco router, have a good look at it, since it may fall into another clone realm.

But hey, if a counterfeit 2811 runs the same IOS version, accepts my WIC cards and doesn't fry power supplies it's all good with me.
TRENT310
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:13 pm

TRENT310 wrote:
PMC wrote:Found this at slashdot, and all I can say is, if you recently purchased a Cisco router, have a good look at it, since it may fall into another clone realm.

But hey, if a counterfeit 2811 runs the same IOS version, accepts my WIC cards and doesn't fry power supplies it's all good with me.

And if the ROM has been modified, then what ? Getting it reloaded directly from Cisco, would be a good idea.
PMC

Postby 45 RPM » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:53 am

========

A Virginia woman was sentenced Friday to five years in prison for leading a "sophisticated" conspiracy to import and sell counterfeit Cisco Systems networking equipment, the U.S. Department of Justice said.

In addition to the prison time, Judge Gerald Bruce Lee of U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia also ordered Chun-Yu Zhao, 43, of Chantilly, Virginia, to pay US$2.7 million restitution and a $17,500 fine.

Lee also stripped Zhao, from China, of her U.S. citizenship and ordered her to forfeit four homes in Maryland and northern Virginia, three condominiums in Chantilly, a Porsche Boxster, a Porsche Cayenne, a Mercedes sedan and seven bank accounts containing more than $1.6 million.

=========

Full story is here

Does this Cisco router item have anything to do with Rogers home security systems? Does it play country rock music at the snap of your fingers?

"The Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:07 am

45 RPM wrote:
Does this Cisco router item have anything to do with Rogers home security systems? Does it play country rock music at the snap of your fingers?

"The Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

If you grasp the concept of TCP-IP, then call the tech manager at Rogers and ask for the number of how many Cisco routers they use, give or take a few hundred...

As a further note, most broadcast remote video links with the CBC, CTV, and Global are done using Cisco routers.

The format that replaces IPv4 on the net, is being replaced by IPv6, and Cisco staff were one of the designers.

Would you like me to continue...
PMC

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:33 am

no
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:52 am

Howaboutthat wrote:no

C'est pas fun eh ! :lol:
PMC

Postby PMC » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:56 am

45 RPM wrote:"The Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

War did another called `Why Can't We Be Friends'

One of the lines... I know you're working for the C I A, they wouldn't have you in the MAF - I - A

Neither is country rock but great tunes that rarely get played.
PMC

Postby jon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:10 am

========

=========

Full story is here

Well, it appears as if the Cisco Kid is back in town. I guess Shaw didn't want to take any chances on getting any knockoff Cisco routers:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10429
jon
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Computer & Technology News