Ubuntu 12.04

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Ubuntu 12.04

Postby PMC » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:42 pm

Today Ubuntu 12.04 desktop, the latest version, has been released and is available for download here http://www.ubuntu.com/

Ubuntu 12.04 desktop would be great on a tablet machine. If you are a serious desktop computer user, avoid this thing like the plague. It is now designed for newbes, children and savants :)

One of the dumb things in the install is, there is an active Twitter feed, so the install takes longer. The Twitter feed is redundant info on how great 12.04 is supposed to be.

If you install this version, and when it comes up to the Twitter feed, click on the left arrow in the display window to go back one page, and this will stop the Twitter feed and thus speed up the install.

They have changed the original software that sets the colour scheme, and it sucks big time ! Thus far I haven't found a command window, so I am assuming that it is gone and needs to be installed later.

There are other brands of Linux, RedHat, Gentoo, Debian, that can serve the serious desktop computer user much better.

I am still a big fan of Ubuntu Server, which is only available in command line mode and again only for the serious computer user. If you haven't heard, HP is now installing it on all their server machines for the retail market.
PMC

Re: Ubuntu 12.04

Postby PMC » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:50 pm

After using this version for a couple of hours, I can only suggest that you don't download this operating system right now, because it is not ready for prime time.

The desktop graphical front end is called Unity, and it remains in a beta testing state... buggy in simple terms.

It would be great if Ubuntu gave the option of having the normal Gnome desktop, which is a proven standard to all users of Linux.
PMC

Re: Ubuntu 12.04

Postby PMC » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:11 pm

The following will get a regular gnome desktop in 12.04

Login to the Unity desktop. Press Ctrl+Alt+T then type `sudo apt-get install gnome-panel' without the quotes in the command window. It will install then reboot the machine.

On the login screen, right click on the icon where the password goes, and select Gnome Classic, then login as usual.

The result is the regular desktop. You can still login to the Unity desktop if so desired.

:towel:
PMC

Return to Computer & Technology News