More Big Brother

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

More Big Brother

Postby PMC » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:11 am

This piece has been out for awhile, and I thought some on the board may have missed the details of what the NSA is up to.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/0 ... nter/all/1

It is interesting from a tech perspective, but also where they have located this facility.
PMC

Re: More Big Brother

Postby freqfreak2 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Yes, but can you get back-ups of deleted emails from them?
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:34 pm

freqfreak2 wrote:Yes, but can you get back-ups of deleted emails from them?

You forgot this :lol:

I find it absurd that this facility can crack anything in encryption, and if it doesn't they will come and see you. Any corporation that wants to use a cloud based system, would be basicly giving them full access to all their corporate data, so when the average business guy finally sees this, the cloud concept is as good as dead. I always believed there were flaws in the cloud concept, and this confirms it.

The top management would claim their integrity, and the world would laugh :tonguewaving:
PMC

Postby freqfreak2 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:11 pm

PMC wrote:You forgot this :lol:

Huh?

But seriously, there is no privacy anymore - hasn't been for quite some time. Just watch "Person of Interest," a documentary series that runs on CBS.

And corporations have more to fear from disgruntled insiders than any cloud storage issues.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:30 pm

freqfreak2 wrote:But seriously, there is no privacy anymore - hasn't been for quite some time. Just watch "Person of Interest," a documentary series that runs on CBS.

And corporations have more to fear from disgruntled insiders than any cloud storage issues.

Which american president will be giving out medals to the NSA for their great achievements in spying ? :lol:

If you don't remember George Bush did, when the american spy plane was forced to land in China...

I will check out the CBS show, that network is always good for floating propaganda. I agree that disgruntled insiders could do damage, but they are not spying, and rewarding those that do.
PMC

Postby freqfreak2 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:41 pm

Spy plane in China?

Let's talk Gary Powers landing his U2 in Russia in 1960.

"Person of Interest" is actually a work of fiction, following a do-good ex-CIA hit man who now prevents crimes from happening based on data given to his partner by a very NSA-like machine.

The show features all sorts of data eaves-dropping that would seem far-fetched if wasn't actually short of what governments are actually capable of.

BTW, look out your window - I'm in the black SUV at the end of the block. Smile!
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:00 pm

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:02 pm

freqfreak2 wrote:Spy plane in China?

Let's talk Gary Powers landing his U2 in Russia in 1960.

"Person of Interest" is actually a work of fiction, following a do-good ex-CIA hit man who now prevents crimes from happening based on data given to his partner by a very NSA-like machine.

The show features all sorts of data eaves-dropping that would seem far-fetched if wasn't actually short of what governments are actually capable of.

BTW, look out your window - I'm in the black SUV at the end of the block. Smile!

I love how you phrased `do-good ex-CIA hit man' :lol:

I know for a fact that DHS and other u.s agencies have software to monitor social media sites. Some operative will read this, make some of kind entry that this site needs to be monitored more because it is a threat to their national security....paranoia strikes deep as the tune lyrics said...
PMC

Postby PMC » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:05 pm

J Kendrick wrote:It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen...

Are you writing a book or what ?
PMC

Postby freqfreak2 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:22 pm

PMC wrote:
J Kendrick wrote:It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen...

He's quoting George Orwell's 1984 ... written in 1948.

And Homeland Security has been watching this board since day zero, don't you doubt that for a second. Now, can I get that August 22nd, 2008 email back?
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:40 pm

freqfreak2 wrote:
PMC wrote:

"He took a twenty-five cent piece out of his pocket. There, too, in tiny clear lettering, the same slogans were inscribed, and on the other face of the coin the head of Big Brother. Even from the coin the eyes pursued you. On coins, on stamps, on the covers of books, on banners, on posters, and on the wrappings of a cigarette packet — everywhere. Always the eyes watching you and the voice enveloping you. Asleep or awake, working or eating, indoors or out of doors, in the bath or in bed — no escape. Nothing was your own except the few cubic centimetres inside your skull."
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:52 pm

freqfreak2 wrote:
PMC wrote:

And Homeland Security has been watching this board since day zero, don't you doubt that for a second. Now, can I get that August 22nd, 2008 email back?

I did read 1984, and did not recall the opening line... the standard book writing line is `it was a dark and stormy night'

I think I will read it again, and grab the movie. Refresh the brain cells...

If the intent is to create that kind of society, it is a lost cause from my perspective. Orwell only put forward the sociology of a state, never knowing how the actual technology could be used... if I recall correctly he actually wrote it in 1932, but it wasn't published until 1948.

Just did a google search, and for anyone else that wants to see.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3984168940

Catch up with after the flick :)
PMC

Postby J Kendrick » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:32 pm

A simple example of just how close George Orwell was to the truth when he wrote that 64 years ago is this new Facebook word "unfriend". It's a classic case of what Orwell had famously called "Newspeak".

To quote Orwell again: "After all, what justification is there for a word which is simply the opposite of some other word? A word contains its opposite in itself. Take "good", for instance. If you have a word like "good", what need is there for a word like "bad"? "Ungood" will do just as well -- better, because it's an exact opposite, which the other is not."

The opposite of befriending someone is to spurn... but Mr. Zuckerburg isn't about to put a "spurn" button on Facebook...

... and the book that was written in 1932 was Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" ;-)
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:20 pm

J Kendrick wrote:A simple example of just how close George Orwell was to the truth when he wrote that 64 years ago is this new Facebook word "unfriend". It's a classic case of what Orwell had famously called "Newspeak".

To quote Orwell again: "After all, what justification is there for a word which is simply the opposite of some other word? A word contains its opposite in itself. Take "good", for instance. If you have a word like "good", what need is there for a word like "bad"? "Ungood" will do just as well -- better, because it's an exact opposite, which the other is not."

The opposite of befriending someone is to spurn... but Mr. Zuckerburg isn't about to put a "spurn" button on Facebook...

... and the book that was written in 1932 was Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" ;-)

Orwell wrote the book from an english culture perspective. There are words in other languages that don't translate to english in a logical sense. The english language itself is forever going under a change. Read some 15th or 16th century english now, and it makes one ask, how did these people understand each other, but they did, as illiterate as the population was back then... it is more a question of semantics with Orwell. It doesn't matter what cultural background that a person comes from, the basic sense of humanity is there in the average person and each will make some effort to communicate when required.

Many will disagree, but I don't believe Facebook will last. Many have hopes and dreams for it, but like any other `entertainment' outlet, people can turn it off, or ignore it, or someone will create something better and leave the site in cyber dust :)

As for the cyber spies, it would be rather easy to create plenty of confusion, if many provided mis-information. The biggest problem with storing the information is how it can become obsolete/useless... the expression being `garbage in, garbage out' only compounds it.... try and track someone named Smith or Jones and you come up with millions of them, and that is only from an english name view. The only thing their spying and info accumulation will do, is create more employment for people to analyse the data, and probably come to the wrong conclusions nine times out of 10.
PMC

Return to Computer & Technology News