Tornado Watch: Media Web Sites Failing

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Tornado Watch: Media Web Sites Failing

Postby jon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:22 pm

A Tornado Watch was issued for Edmonton 80 minutes ago. What do the media web sites say?
630ched.com - no mention on home page
edmontonjournal.com - "We're currently unable to service your request. Please try again soon."
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Tornado Watch: Media Web Sites Failing

Postby CKNF » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Yes, but thank God the Twitter News Feed with all the relevant to Edmonton news from CNN and TMZ is working. :)

BTW...it's now up on the EDJ site. Still nothing on CHED's.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/technolo ... story.html
EDMONTON - Environment Canada has issued a tornado watch for Edmonton and surrounding areas.

Conditions could lead to severe storms with the potential to produce tornadoes.

The storms will also have the potential to produce large hail, torrential rain, lightning and powerful winds.

“Use this time to secure outdoor property and to ensure family members and co-workers are prepared to take action should the severe weather approach,” the Environment Canada notice says.

The watch is the result of a series of storms sweeping across central Alberta.

Areas west of the city are expected to be under a rainfall warning for most of Monday.

The warning area covers a large portion of west-central Alberta, including Whitecourt, Fox Creek, Swan Hills, Edson, Hinton, Grande Cache and Jasper.

A low-pressure system brought rain into the region Monday, with more than 50 millimetres possible by Tuesday morning, according to Environment Canada. Rain is expected to continue through most of the day Tuesday, resulting in an additional 20 to 30 mm of rain, before tapering off in the evening. In total, up to 90 mm could fall in some areas.

Heavy rain is believed to have caused a mudslide that forced the closure of a portion of the Trans-Canada Highway west of Banff on Friday, stranding motorists.

More information on Alberta weather warnings can be found on the Environment Canada website.

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

Hang in there guys. Hoping for the best and that nothing really will come of this warning! :cool:
CKNF
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:08 pm

We are just 8 days away from the 25th anniversary of the 1987 Edmonton Tornado. I did a 4 minute tribute to Murray Blakely earlier this year -- a requirement for his RTDNA Lifetime Achievement Award. And his work just after the Tornado, in the air in the CHQT Flying Tiger, is front and centre in the tribute. It was very eerie putting that part together from the only known copy of the station broadcasts.

As a result, talk of a Tornado today hits home more than it has for many years, especially since I was out of town when the 1987 tornado hit.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby CKNF » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:22 pm

jon wrote:We are just 8 days away from the 25th anniversary of the 1987 Edmonton Tornado. I did a 4 minute tribute to Murray Blakely earlier this year -- a requirement for his RTDNA Lifetime Achievement Award -- and his work just after the Tornado, in the air in the CHQT Flying Tiger, is front and centre in the tribute. It was very eerie putting that part together from the only known copy of the station broadcasts.

As a result, talk of a Tornado today hits home more than it has for many years, especially since I was out of town when the 1987 tornado hit.

I can imagine. Although I was only ten, I never forgot that day and seeing the devastation on TV. We had just been in Edmonton a week prior on one of my family's shopping trips and visiting the very vibrant Portuguese community that had existed there at the time. Being away from the old country and with Calgary having such a small Portuguese community, Edmonton was always a great time for them and a good escape. They made some great lifelong friends there.

Here's an old tape I found online. It's an Environment Canada Documentary. I'm sure you've watched it, but for those who haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhECSf9yAyE

Cheers jon, all the best!

P.S.
Where can I find that tribute? Was that ever uploaded?
CKNF
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:21 pm

CKNF wrote:Where can I find that tribute? Was that ever uploaded?

http://edmontonbroadcasters.com/ebc/mem ... ent-award/
I haven't had a chance to caption the pictures yet, but the tribute is there in both audio and video formats.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News