Time to Update Adobe Flash Player

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Time to Update Adobe Flash Player

Postby jon » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:35 pm

A recent malware (Trojan) incident on my machine and a friend's may be related to this, so I would advise doing an Adobe Flash Player upgrade ASAP given that there was a security issue with my previous version that had been updated in mid-June.

In addition, many popular web sites began "hanging" this morning due to a Flash Player script that was issuing a "may never finish" error message.

The current release can be installed here:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

The McAfee Security Scan Plus displayed on that page is entirely optional and not recommended (by me, anyway).
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Time to Update Adobe Flash Player

Postby jon » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Apparently, Google Chrome automatically updates "plugins" added to it. I use Firefox and it doesn't. I recall that IE doesn't either.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:38 pm

Don't use Chrome or Firefox - no problems
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:42 pm

Jack and anyone else reading this, wondering what all the fuss is about: this is not a problem related to what browser you have. Everybody who uses Adobe Flash Player needs to make sure they are up to date. And everyone I know uses Flash since it has become the preferred method of delivering audio, video and other effects by major web sites, especially radio station sites
Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Flash Player 11.3.300.271 and earlier versions for Windows, Macintosh and Linux, Adobe Flash Player 11.1.115.11 and earlier versions for Android 4.x, and Adobe Flash Player 11.1.111.10 and earlier versions for Android 3.x and 2.x. These updates address vulnerabilities that could cause a crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News