Vipre Anti Virus

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Vipre Anti Virus

Postby radiofan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:16 pm

I'm glad to see Jon has posted a link to the Vipre site and also nice to see they have their annual Black Friday one day sale. After several years of tolerating McAfee and Norton and having them take over my
computer, I finally got rid of them at the insistence of my computer store and went to AVG. For the price (free) AVG seemed good (and basically did it's job), but all good things come to an end. In early 2009
I made the switch to Vipre and have had no problems whatsoever in the last almost 4 years. On Black Friday last year, I went for the $27 option and bought lifetime coverage for three machines.

The 9.99 yearly is a steal. The lifetime option is grand theft!

In case you missed the link on the front page, here it is: http://rwcrn.com/9-99-for-bullet-proof- ... ware-vipre
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Vipre Anti Virus

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Depending on what OS you are using, the free Windows Defender that comes with Vista, 7 and 8 does a great job of protecting your computer(s) at no additional cost.
It's updated regularly with Windows Update and so far has never failed to catch any attempt at an infiltration from outside.
My new Windows 8 touchscreen desktop is so advanced that all updating is fully automatic for the OS, programs and Windows Defender along with updates for the computer itself.
Lightening fast with 8gb of ram and a 2tb hard-drive and the best speech to text system yet.
We've come a long way from the Sinclair and Radio Shack boxes and dial up modems!
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Re: Vipre Anti Virus

Postby jon » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:24 pm

The VIPRE sale this year goes until Monday evening, presumably 9pm Pacific.

A convenient thing about their license registration keys is that they start when you first enter them into the software. Which means, if you already own a VIPRE license, or have another anti-malware package with some months left on the license, you will get 15 months AFTER your existing license expires, if you wait until then to enter the VIPRE registration key that you buy today or tomorrow.

If you don't already have a VIPRE license, you can actually get 16 months out of the $9.99 "annual" license. Use the 30-day free trial, then apply the registration key on the last day, which will give you another 15 months.

I actually use VIPRE Internet Security 2013, which is the more expensive version. Its new Easy Update feature automatically updates most of my non-Microsoft software, in the background like Windows Update. Yes, some of the software products, like Adobe Reader, can update themselves, but not without prompting for an Admin password, which I don't give to three of the people who use the computers I take care of.

VIPRE has really won me a lot of friends over the last few years, as it allowed them to squeeze another 6-18 months out of their computers that were nearing the end of their useful lives, typically running out of memory thanks to the previous anti-malware software they were running.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News