Great Deal on Wireless Keyboard and/or Mouse

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Postby jon » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:35 pm

Compusmart's current flyer, which expires March 18th, has a great deal on a couple of wireless input devices. $19.99 for a Logitech Wireless Optical Mouse (Web ID 112061 on compusmart.com). $39.99 for the Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 1000 (Web ID 027019), which is a keyboard, mouse and corded receiver (to USB port), so you position it optimally -- and you will need to. I had to put mine on the floor almost directly below the mouse to get a satisfactory signal. The keyboard seems to have a longer range.

The problem is that all these wireless devices at the low end (i.e. - NOT BlueTooth) use the old, and very noisy, Citizens Band (CB) just above 27MHz. On a clear day, you can get 5 watts from Western New York on this short wave band.

I've tried out the Microsoft 1000 and am very happy with it. The included software lets you monitor the signal strength of the keyboard and mouse separately, so you can position the receiver appropriately.

As my advice page at http://www.adiant.com/advice/computing/ states, be sure to download the latest software and ALL the "Hardware" category Microsoft Updates (i.e. - drivers), as Microsoft Update found a new driver after I installed the software and again after I installed the mouse and keyboard.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News