A computer problem to get things started

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Postby jon » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:43 pm

With a Limited Account, you cannot install hardware or software, or change any files not assigned to your account -- for example, you cannot change C:\Program Files. You can upload and download pretty much anything. You can also install most browser-based applets, since they tend to be one-time-use-only Java programs.

Limited Accounts cannot reformat your hard drive (which is probably a good thing...) or update Windows or other software. But most software, including Windows, lets you automate updates, which will run in the background while you are using your Limited Account.

My own preference is to have an Admin account with the name of Maint, and a password set, on each of the XP machines that I support, which I only use when I'm installing hardware or software, or doing non-critical updates to software, including Windows, that does not get done automatically. Otherwise, I always use a Limited Account.

When XP first came out, there was a lot of software that would only work with Admin accounts, most often because it wrote in files in places other than the account's own folders. Some "poorly behaving" software still exists, typically kid's programs, so it can be an issue.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:09 am

oops replying to myself is not a good idea

in the last day or so my browser has been acting up
so I downloaded mozilla

works great - I was blaming telus, my computer, the world
but the fix is moving over

jp why would ie be so slow - is it the holidays or what?

(ogopogo eats crows lying on his back at 5 - film at eleven)
butch
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:34 am

Assuming that you mean "why is my web browser taking so long to respond when I click on links, even when the page is not very big?", it could just be a congested Internet. But, with TELUS, it can also be your hardware. In my case, I had to replace my NIC (Network Interface Card, where you plug the network cable in the back of your computer) and ADSL Router (optional equipment between the computer and the TELUS ADSL modem, allowing you to connect multiple computers, and also providing a hardware firewall).

As I understand it, the Windows XP drivers for the NIC and router weren't perfect, and the TELUS ADSL network is very picky. I suffered for 6 months, not knowing what was going on, until I talked to a TELUS support person and he said that the only NICs and routers that always worked were D-Link, so that is what I bought. And it was fine after that.

So, I don't know if that is your problem or not. But, it was mine. I lay the blame with that stupid software TELUS insists on running that checks every incoming and outgoing Internet packet to be sure that you are not using a MAC address (a unique identifier for your NIC or router) other than the one(s) you registered.

I eventually gave up on TELUS after they accidentally deleted my account, and told me that I had to wait 90 days to get the same account name (xxx@telus.net) back. I had my own domain name, so I could have changed to a new account name, but it was the last straw. In between, they had taken 6 weeks to fix their error that prevented my Web site from being viewed by any TELUS customer.

I've been on Shaw since, and glad that I made the move. Only possible exception is that TELUS TV may have made economic sense if I still had TELUS ADSL. I was recently exploring combining TELUS TV with Shaw Basic Cable (to get local stations) and Shaw Tier 3 (to get Turner Classic Movies, my favourite channel), dropping the other 2 Tiers and my Shaw Digital Cable service.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:34 am

Ogopogo wrote: can you elucidate a bit more on how the second account (non administrator)protects you and the computer. Does it:

protect you from those little things that download without your permission?
protect you from something you want to download but will make it hard to do?

more info is good

Setting up a separate account to install software is a bogus concept under Windows.

The concept works great in Linux... in Linux, a user named `root' is the administrator and only the root can install software. In a web page download, if an install is requested that user of the browser must know the root password for it to occur.

The Linux concept will only allow things to occur within that users drive space, and is not able to reach the area where system files or executables are located.

If a Microsoft user is running an NT flavour of the OS like Win2k, there is some ability to lock out installs, however it won't stop hidden installs via IE.

If you want to stop hidden web browser installs under Windows, use the Firefox, or the Opera web browsers. They have settings that turn off hidden installs and those annoying pop up ad windows. You can also turn off `cookies', which is not possible under IE.

Firefox is great software and follows standards set by the IETF, Internet Engineering Task Force, while Microsoft doesn't, since corporate policy is to lock you into their product line.

http://www.ietf.org/ for more info on the IETF

http://www.mozilla.com/ to get the latest version of Firefox and Thunderbird the e-mail software.
PMC

Postby johnsykes » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:07 pm

Sincere thanks to all who responded...problem fixed. IncrediMail was the culprit. Have replaced with Thunderbird. All is well.

J.S.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Computer & Technology News