PSR off the Net?

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

PSR off the Net?

Postby gwp » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:26 am

This site can’t provide a secure connection

www.pugetsoundradio.com uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
Hide details
The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite. This is likely to be caused when the server needs RC4, which is no longer considered secure.
gwp
gwp
Advanced Member

Re: PSR off the Net?

Postby Rocky » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:12 pm

Hey gwp!

Who cares?

This is radiowest.ca

Next time my cable goes out I'll ask the phone company why.
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Who gives a shit. PSR censors comments and passes Facebook posts off as "a source tells PSR".
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby groundskeeper willy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:51 pm

As long as the tinfoil hat crowd stays over on PSR, I'm OK with that. The conspiracy / chemtrail / Illuminati wackiness that's become a constant element there leaves the impression the moderator... (personal attack on PSR moderator deleted) But whatever. It's his site, his rules, and if he wants to censor and/or ban people (like he's done to me), so be it.

Much happier reading (and taking part) in a forum that stays true to its stated object of discussion, RadioWest always comes across as being civil and pretty much on-target for all things radio. Thanks to the mod for all the effort and hard work in keeping it a great site.
groundskeeper willy
Advanced Member

Postby Sunny » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:08 pm

groundskeeper willy wrote:As long as the tinfoil hat crowd stays over on PSR, I'm OK with that. The conspiracy / chemtrail / Illuminati wackiness that's become a constant element there leaves the impression the moderator (personal attack on PSR moderator deleted) But whatever. It's his site, his rules, and if he wants to censor and/or ban people (like he's done to me), so be it.

Much happier reading (and taking part) in a forum that stays true to its stated object of discussion, RadioWest always comes across as being civil and pretty much on-target for all things radio. Thanks to the mod for all the effort and hard work in keeping it a great site.

Amen to that.
Sunny

Postby radiofan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:46 pm

Comments on other sites, positive or negative are always welcome. All I ask is to not make them personal attacks on the people running the sites. I hate having to censor anything posted here,
but I'm not about to get into a pissing war with someone over comments posted by a person who posts with a screen name.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby groundskeeper willy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:11 pm

Sorry radiofan, my bad. Didn't realize the comment in question would be taken as an attack, but it's your call and if it reduces problems / issues the site may experience, by all means, cover it up. Thx.
groundskeeper willy
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:50 pm

Anyone enjoying the Easton Spectator?
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:44 pm

How can PSR and Easton Spectator complain about Alex Jones getting punted from social media sites when they moderate and censor all comments on their own platforms?

If you try to point out that’s it is not a First Amendment violation, your comment will not see the light of day.
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:40 am

To Ted and Mike and all administrators - elsewhere

I run a very successful web based news site in the Okanagan. Some call it a blog, a thing, a newspaper lol, it certainly is not a personal site. (the one you turn to stolen from NW). ODN employs the former Manager Editor of the Edmonton Journal as a civics reporter.

I insist on two things - good taste coupled with a first and last name. Some resistance to this but in the end it produced a site with 5 to 6 thousand unique computers visiting......each day. Provable stats with two separate IP readers. Hits in the millions. Hits mean nothing. I can track every IP.

Okay enough back slapping. For legal reasons all comments, classified ads etc. - are/iz moderated. Those bar'ed from site - less than five a year for less than a month for behavior that goes beyond normative.

Even the CBC now seems to agree with my formula. Jack

http://www.oliverdailynews.com
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:53 pm

Bravo to Jack for his diligent approach. There's much to be said for moderating comments. And not just small mom-and-pop web sites and FB pages. Mediaite purports to be the go-to analysis site for news media (particularly cable). But the no-holds-barred commentary...short on facts, long on racist, misogynistic and homophobic rants...makes it nothing more, in my opinion, than an ad-cash grab by its parent company run by Dan Abrams. Sad because, properly moderated, it could serve a very useful purpose.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:27 am

The Vancouver Sun forces you to have a facebook account in order to comment so I have to support a sociopath's web site that censors and pimps out my personal information to the highest bidder in order to express my opinion. Yeah that's completely reasonable.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:12 am

tuned wrote:The Vancouver Sun forces you to have a facebook account in order to comment so I have to support a sociopath's web site that censors and pimps out my personal information to the highest bidder in order to express my opinion. Yeah that's completely reasonable.

I just have a fake account, basically John Smith, no friends. There is no data to mine. It’s not connected to an email I actually use or my mobile number.

I don’t mind PSR moderating comments. But complaining about YouTube moderating content and then heavily moderating content yourself is pretty lame. He really wants to believe that Alex Jones’ 1A rights are being violated, because he won’t entertain comments to the contrary.
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:16 am

tuned wrote:The Vancouver Sun forces you to have a facebook account in order to comment so I have to support a sociopath's web site that censors and pimps out my personal information to the highest bidder in order to express my opinion. Yeah that's completely reasonable.

I just have a fake account, basically John Smith, no friends. There is no data to mine. It’s not connected to an email I actually use or my mobile number.

I don’t mind PSR moderating comments. But complaining about YouTube moderating content and then heavily moderating content yourself is pretty lame. He really wants to believe that Alex Jones’ 1A rights are being violated, because he won’t entertain comments to the contrary.
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:27 am

You shouldn't have to create fake accounts to comment. FB uses facial recognition and will eventually ferret out your bogus account. As for PSR censoring comments they are no different than FB, twitter, youtube or any other so-called "social media". The problem I have with Alex Jones being censored is the reasons given are nebulous and it's a slippery slope. I've looked at Jones' stuff and there is some tinfoil hat stuff but then you can also find plenty of shoddy journalism in the New York Times. Their latest hire, a racist op ed writer doesn't build confidence any more than some of the wing nuts on infowars. They are both sources of information and it's up to the reader to make up their own minds. Censorship of the media undermines democracy and it's become epidemic. Having the media controlled by a handful of Wall St. creations is a very bad idea.
tuned
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Computer & Technology News