Can I???

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Postby johnsykes » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:53 pm

When I get a security update and it's downloaded, can I get rid of it on my downloaded files. I have stacks of them.

Also, am still having a problem. I cannot get my browser to work if I close it. I have to re-start the computer. I cannot click on the browser and have it re-open.

Thanks
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:29 am

johnsykes wrote:When I get a security update and it's downloaded, can I get rid of it on my downloaded files.  I have stacks of them.

Yes you can if you have installed it, or should I say, if you want to install it... not all updates are necessary, in fact, some only create more holes.

johnsykes wrote:Also, am still having a problem.  I cannot get my browser to work if I close it.  I have to re-start the computer.  I cannot click on the browser and have it re-open.

If I recall correctly, you are using Firefox, and their browser is very solid, so the problem is somewhere else.

I would suggest a full virus scan of the hard disk. Make sure the scan does all files, not just dot exe files.

Don't use an online scan service... install one of the free anti-virus anti spyware programs like this one http://www.clamwin.com/ and click download... ignore the ads that promise other software.

There is a new rootkit virus out... rootkit virus are very hard to detect. The latest one seems to only infest NTFS formatted hard disks... see

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen....rustock.b.html

for details... this rootkit virus uses what are called `hidden data streams'.

Rootkit concept virus originated with a company in England that created it for Sony to stop CD music piracy.. if you don't know the details then Google Sony Rootkit.
PMC

Postby butch » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:44 am

re clam wear

did anyone download? and what was your results?

I found the free shareware kept asking to be refreshed and downloaded

don't know if it was effective as I have norton

I have dumped the free ware as it is clamming up my computers
butch
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:22 pm

Ogopogo wrote: re clam wear

did anyone download? and what was your results?

I found the free shareware kept asking to be refreshed and downloaded

don't know if it was effective as I have norton

I have dumped the free ware as it is clamming up my computers

Click the link below for some insight on Norton

http://news.com.com/Symantec+atones+for+ch...ml?tag=nefd.top

Good for a chuckle or two isn't it ;)

The clamwin product is excellent... it updates itself because new virus variants occur... it should be set to update atleast once a week.

There is also a new program front end... this is normal as they will add more bells and whistles... you can decline this, but do update the database of know virus and spyware.
PMC

Return to Computer & Technology News