Backup your e-mail

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Postby PMC » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:37 pm

Got a call from a guy that lost all his mail in Outlook Express, so I thought that I would pass this info on, and perhaps save someone's cry for help, since this link explains on how to backup the mail and your contact list.. it should be done on a regular basis if you have important mail and contact info stored.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=270670

All I can add is, after you copy the files, then you should burn them to a CD, and keep the CD in a safe, dry, greasy free location.
PMC

Postby jon » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:18 pm

Very good information. Outlook is pretty easy to backup, but Outlook Express had always mystified me.

For Outlook, if you're like me and never delete much, you may find a DVD easier to use for backup. I actually use DVD+RW since I do a backup each week, and swap between two discs, erasing the oldest one after I've filled up the newest.

Speaking of Backup, I've been really impressed with Nero BackItUp, which comes with the most recent versions of the free Nero that you get with some brands of DVD burners. Not sure if it comes with CD burners or not.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News