Limewire shut down

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Limewire shut down

Postby jawbone » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:52 pm

I guess this means I will have to pay for music now.

LimeWire Shuts Down After Losing Court Battle With The RIAA
Written by Ernesto on October 26, 2010 Torrentfreak.com

The Gnutella-based download client LimeWire has ceased all its operations after a U.S. federal judge granted a request from the RIAA. Limewire was ordered to disable all functionalities in the current application to prevent users from sharing copyrighted material. The verdict is expected to have an unprecedented impact on the P2P file-sharing landscape.

A few months ago the RIAA asked a New York District Court to shut down the world’s most installed file-sharing application, LimeWire.

The record labels argued that the Gnutella-based download client might have caused billions of dollars in lost revenue and that it’s therefore one of the largest threats to the music industry’s revenue. Today, RIAA’s request was granted by a federal judge.

According to the injunction, Limewire “intentionally encouraged infringement” by Limewire users, it is used “overwhelmingly for infringement” and it knew about the “substantial infringement being committed” by its users.

The evidence further showed that Limewire marketed its application to Napster users and that its business model depends on mass copyright infringements.

The New York District Court demanded that Limewire shuts down its entire operation, including all searches and uploading and downloading that occurs through the client. LimeWire users who start up their client will immediately notice that it is no longer usable.

http://torrentfreak.com/limewire-loses- ... wn-101026/
jawbone
Advanced Member

Re: Limewire shut down

Postby Buckley » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:54 pm

I don't endorse or encourage piracy in any way, but I always hate how they claim things like "lost revenue"... It's not like these people were going to purchase these things anyway!

Let us all pretend it's a perfect world (for corporations) and no one has ever stolen anything ever, and there was no way for anyone to steal anything. Do you think the millions of people downloading these songs would purchase the song off iTunes or go buy an album in this utopian society? No, they wouldn't, because a) they probably can't afford to purchase all of these items, and b) they don't feel strongly enough about the song/album to actually spend money on it. Does that make it right? No, but whatever. Also, this is the library argument all over... you can't sue a library for providing criminals the means to be criminals, because they have a photocopier. Granted this is a much larger scale, but if I go and photocopy a book 100 times and then distribute it to my friends, the police shouldn't arrest the librarian.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Re: Limewire shut down

Postby crs » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:28 pm

Somebody slap the cuffs on me. While I've never used Limewire, I readily admit to taping my favorite songs on my cassette recorder (remember those??) back in the 70s off the radio. I guess, using the theory here, I should've cease and desisted and instead asked for a hundred dollar a month hike in my allowance to cover the cost of all the 45s I was expected to buy instead of being a radio pirate! "Arrrrr, it's that new one from Boston...time to hit me record button....Arrr!" :karate: (Ok so the icon is a kung fu guy, use you're imagination...it's really Captain Jack Sparrow!)
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News