Identifying an IP address

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Postby johnsykes » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:03 pm

I received an email this morning from PayPal. It said a certain IP address tried three times to access my PayPal account, but was refused. PayPal gave me the IP address...all numbers...anyone know how to access those numbers to see who it is?

IP address 64.10.160.4

Thanks
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby XFM » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:38 pm

No disrespect, but are you sure it was a legitimate email from Paypal? They are a big target of phishing?

Did you give PSR a buck or two, maybe they want more?

Try this..

http://www.hcidata.co.uk/host2ip.htm
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
XFM
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:45 pm

John

I don't think an IP address will give you anything other than a general area
like North Vancouver etc and sometimes give you a hint who the client's servor is.

I think my IP address gives you the BOOT in burnaby, hq of telus.

Jack
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:02 pm

johnsykes wrote: I received an email this morning from PayPal. It said a certain IP address tried three times to access my PayPal account, but was refused. PayPal gave me the IP address...all numbers...anyone know how to access those numbers to see who it is?

IP address 64.10.160.4

There are virus files being sent, and claiming to be from PayPal... which has become a target for phishing tactics.

The IP address is issued to UUNet based out of Toronto, however the actual adress could be in use, anywhere, in Canada since UUNet covers different areas.
PMC

Postby johnsykes » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:18 pm

Thanks all....will leave it at that. Thankfully I didn't respond to the PayPal email, I'll just ignore the whole thing.

Cheers all
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:39 pm

I have received many, many of those same e-mails over the last year or so. They are all fake.

A true message from PayPal will always begin "Dear John Sykes", using your real name, not your e-mail address or the part of your e-mail before the @. And especially not "Dear PayPal User".

eBay has similar standards. Every e-mail begins "eBay sent this message to John K. Sykes (jsykes)" in small print right at the top, with your eBay ID in parenthesis.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News