Music downloads

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Music downloads

Postby johnsykes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:49 pm

I know Limewire has gone by way of the dodo bird......is Frostwire the same? I downloaded Frostwire yesterday and all I get is a large blank square in the middle of the screen that freezes until I re-start the computer. I had a load of music in my library and when I downloaded itunes, none of the music was available...gonzo. I figured Frostwire had gone, so downloaded it again...nothing. Any ideas?
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Re: Music downloads

Postby Paul P » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Start paying like everyone else.
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:01 pm

I already had a library of music......I simply said I can't find it anymore....who said I didn't pay for it? I didn't

Thanks for presuming. Read the bloody thing again.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:10 pm

need more info. why did you download itunes? Do you have an ipod or iphone?

My guess is that when you were downloading itunes you allowed it to take over all your music files. is there an itunes icon on your desktop? If so open it and click on Music under where it says Library. see if they're there.

and do yourself a favour...quit downloading all the 'free' stuff. they're full of shit. its no wonder you have so many 'issues' with your computer.
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby CKNF » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:23 pm

I'm using FW 4.21.1, the current version. works just fine.

Try DLing it from a trusted source. Apparently there are fake Frostwire sites out there.

Use this link:
http://download.cnet.com/FrostWire/3000 ... 27624.html

I'm not sure what iTunes has to do with your FW not working or how your library disappeared? Like Paul said, need more info.
CKNF
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:41 pm

Like you, I downloaded FW 4.21.1, went through all the instructions and then wound up with a white square in the middle of the screen. The same thing happened when I clicked on your download site The only way I could get rid of that square was by re-booting the computer. This happened even before downloading iTunes.

I have since tried BearShare, which is great to create a library, but I want to make a CD with five specific pieces of music in a certain order. There appears to be no way to do that...only make a library for computer listening.

I have no problem paying for my music downloads....I do have an account with iTunes. This may sound morbid, but I'm putting finishing touches to my requests for inclusions for my memorial service. No, I'm not heading off into the wild blue yonder, or into the depths for that matter. Simply putting things in order so my family won't have to worry in the future. That's all.
:treemed:
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:32 pm

johnsykes wrote:Like you, I downloaded FW 4.21.1, went through all the instructions and then wound up with a white square in the middle of the screen. The same thing happened when I clicked on your download site The only way I could get rid of that square was by re-booting the computer. This happened even before downloading iTunes.

I have since tried BearShare, which is great to create a library, but I want to make a CD with five specific pieces of music in a certain order. There appears to be no way to do that...only make a library for computer listening.

I have no problem paying for my music downloads....I do have an account with iTunes. This may sound morbid, but I'm putting finishing touches to my requests for inclusions for my memorial service. No, I'm not heading off into the wild blue yonder, or into the depths for that matter. Simply putting things in order so my family won't have to worry in the future. That's all.
:treemed:

John, once you have downloaded the music you want, create a new folder on your desktop and drag the pieces into it.
Then simply rename them, by adding the number 1, 2, 3 etc in front of the name of the piece of music, in the order you want to burn it onto the disk. then close the folder and reopen it and they should be in the right oder, then burn away. That should work.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:11 pm

But, as I said, I downloaded Frostwire, installed it....and immediately got a white square in the middle of the screen. I can't go any further. I have to re-boot to get rid of the white square.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:23 pm

Your Win XP system may not be compatible with the latest Frostwire.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:03 pm

Good point Russ, never thought of that. Will check it out tomorrow morning for sure.And thanks for your info.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:30 pm

johnsykes wrote:But, as I said, I downloaded Frostwire, installed it....and immediately got a white square in the middle of the screen. I can't go any further. I have to re-boot to get rid of the white square.

Try uninstalling it, and then reboot and install it again.

You should always reboot after an install, if that software installs any kind of device driver.

The link below is the best CD burner software for your mp3 project... you can select the order it records the tracks, and it will print labels for the plastic jacket... very simple to use. I don't know if this software will work in Vista/Windows 7 but will in XP / Win2k.

http://download.cnet.com/MP3-CD-Maker/3 ... 65486.html
PMC

Postby johnsykes » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Thanks Patric...and the best of the season to you and yours. Somehow when trouble hits the old computer, you are there with sage advice.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:14 pm

johnsykes wrote:Thanks Patric...and the best of the season to you and yours. Somehow when trouble hits the old computer, you are there with sage advice.

And the same wishes for you and your family.

I have used that disc burner software for about 8 years. Don't leave it loaded up if you are not using it. The software takes alot of CPU power to burn, and don't use any other software if you are doing a burn.

If you use cheap blank CD's like the Staples brand, then slow down the burn speed or it will error out... as example use 4x for a burn rather than 8x if the CD burner drive defaults to 8x... if it errors at 4x, then use 2x etc. The software defaults to using 1x, which takes awhile to do, but it is always a perfect burn. If it errors on a disc, throw the disc out, because it can't be used again. Most errors occur because the software can't read and write fast enough, thus the mention of don't use other software while it is doing the burn.

For those that don't know. Burner software writes through the plastic of the disc to the backside of the paper label. Always use a felt pen to label the burned disc. A ball point pen will tear the paper and thus destroy the data. CD's are recorded from the inside to the outside of the disc.

Although the software can record 80 minutes of music, don't put more than 74 minutes of music. Normal CD players can't read past 74 minutes. This is also true for car/truck/boat CD players....only players in computers will read/play 80 minute discs.
PMC

Postby another dog » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:36 pm

:merryx:
Thanks PMC, you have given me some info I didn't
know before and I go back to C64 days.

Speaking of which I am still looking for a PS for a C64.

I used to use, and still have the program for a
bulletin board on a Sat system. This is something quite
simple to do now, but for a 64 in it's time..... phew.

The best of the season to you and yours PMC, and thanks.
CKDJ RADIO P.D. ( 1967 ) for Metropolitan Burnaby
another dog
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:54 pm

another dog wrote::merryx:
Thanks PMC, you have given me some info I didn't
know before and I go back to C64 days.

Speaking of which I am still looking for a PS for a C64.

I used to use, and still have the program for a
bulletin board on a Sat system. This is something quite
simple to do now, but for a 64 in it's time..... phew.

The best of the season to you and yours PMC, and thanks.

Thank you and the best of the season to you and yours

Some other info... there is a maximum of 99 tracks on a CD.

Data density is what makes burning a CD/DVD difficult. These devices have a read/write speed and the computer CPU needs to be able to move the data (bytes) from point A the hard disk, to point B, the burner drive at a regular defined rate. The higher the density, the tougher or more complicated it gets to write, and then read back.

A regular music CD plays at 10 megabytes a minute because it is in a format called CDA. An MP3 file plays back at 1 megabyte a minute.

This says that the CPU must move ten times the data for a regular CD track over an MP3 track.

It also says that the software must convert the MP3 format to the CDA format in the burn.

Playing MP3's on your computer is better for it, than a regular music CD format. The CPU doesn't have to work so hard on the read, and can do other things.

All applies to DVD use... some video formats are absolute CPU pigs :)
PMC

Return to Computer & Technology News