Decent Headphones on sale

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Decent Headphones on sale

Postby radiofan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:45 am

If you're in the martket for a new set of headphones, Staples has Sony MDR-V150 DJ headphones on sale this week for 17.49. Not a bad deal at 50% off.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Decent Headphones on sale

Postby Steve Sanderson » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:43 am

How many sets did you buy??
;-)
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:07 am

I suspect it would be two - one for the big head and one..... :orclown:
pave
Advanced Member

Postby The Unknown Copywriter » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:24 am

Beware...

I had a pair for a while, but found it impossible to get any high end through them...no matter what I plugged them into.
T.U.C.

"The present day composer refuses to die!"
Edgard Varese

"Kill ugly radio."
Frank Zappa
The Unknown Copywriter
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:13 pm

Headphones and in-ears are highly personal choices.
That's why it baffles me that major retailers don't have a wall of headphones to demo the way they used to.
Buying headphones and then taking them home to try is not the answer.
Most stores will take returns on the over the ear models but you cannot return in ears.
Having been in radio since the days of those old bakelite things with the metal can top diaphragms and wire headbands, I've been through dozens of brands and styles.
Broadcasting headphones are different from those used for simply listening to music or other programming.
If you're using them in front of a mic, they should be closed back or in ear to prevent feedback or a hollow sound when you get too close to said microphone.
After years of trying many brands, most of which no longer exist, I've found the high end Sony's reasonably priced (under $300) rugged and comfortable to wear.
For in ears, the Shure line is reasonably priced and comfortable, depending on the ear tips you choose.
I like the Sony's because they are very detailed and make it easy when troubleshooting for hum and noise.
The Shures were great for work and for listening to music while walking, etc.
You really need to try any headphones or in ears before buying, using them with the various devices you own.
My Sony's allow me to hear all the artifacts of compressed music on my phone and other portable players so they don't get used there.
I use the Shures.
Cheap headphones are crap and sound like it.
I think it costs Apple less than 2 bucks for the ones it provides with it's products and others cost even less.
Do your ears a favour and try a variety before you choose the one that is right for you.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:12 pm

Pulling up quotes fron Cleaver's long lessons on the correct (and only) way to do things is too hard on the iPhone, so I will simply express my surprise at the number of times above he used an apostrophe when writing the plural of Sony.
Tsk Tsk
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News