Win7 Lite

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Win7 Lite

Postby jon » Sun May 08, 2011 9:00 am

Win7News
Editor's Corner

Windows 7 gets thin

A few years ago, "thin client computing" was all the rage and was being touted as the Next Big Thing in the IT world. The idea is that most users don't really need a powerful desktop system with a fast processor, a load of RAM and tons of local storage space. Instead of spending all that money on "fat" client machines, companies could give them inexpensive, low-powered computers that operate much like the old "dumb terminals" that connected to mainframe systems.

Microsoft got into this act way back with Windows NT Terminal Services Edition. Multiple users connect over the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) to a terminal server, which creates a multi-user environment that delivers a unique desktop to each user and does all the processing, sending the graphical representation of that desktop back to the user's machine. That machine can be either "fat" or "thin" - it just has to run the terminal services client software, which is built into all editions of Windows 7 and is called Remote Desktop Connection. In fact, what was previously called Terminal Services has morphed into Remote Desktop Services in Windows Server 2008 R2, and has grown considerably more complex and sophisticated, now integrating technologies such as application virtualization and a remote desktop gateway.

On the client side, however, most companies still use full-fledged PCs to connect to the terminal server/Remote Desktop host. In addition to the extra cost, this presents more of a security risk because the PCs are still running the same services and many of the same applications as any PC and are thus vulnerable to the same viruses, malware and attacks. A true thin client, on the other hand, is not just a less powerful PC but is locked down to provide better security as well. Users can make changes to them, and they can be configured to work only with the remote server, whereas Windows PCs running RDC still retain all their local functionality.

Companies such as Wyse already make thin client machines that can connect to Microsoft terminal servers/Remote Desktop hosts. The Wyse solutions include several different models that span a range of prices and levels of flexibility. They have models based on Windows XPe and Windows 7 Embedded, as well as Windows CE, Linux and their own Wyse ThinOS. Whereas the Compact, Embedded and XPe versions of Windows are designed for systems with dedicated purposes, they weren't specifically marketed and licensed for thin client computing. The embedded operating systems are often used for things like gaming consoles, set-top boxes and kiosks and were licensed only to OEMs. Companies couldn't install them on their old PCs to turn them into thin clients.

Back in February, Microsoft announced that they were going to release a new version of Windows 7 called Windows Thin PC, a small footprint, locked down version designed specifically for that purpose. They made it available in a beta program in March, and now have issued the release candidate. The good news is that it can be installed on thin client devices or on old, low powered PCs and laptops. That means companies don't have to buy thin clients - they can repurpose their old Windows PCs and portables. All that's needed is a 1 GHz processor and 1 GB of RAM, with a 16 GB hard drive. Most applications can't be installed directly on the thin OS; you have to access them via Remote Desktop (although interestingly, you can install media players along with management and security tools). You can even prevent users from writing to the local hard disk at all. Another plus is that, unlike when you use existing thin client solutions, you won't need Windows Virtual Desktop Access Licenses (VDA).

The bad news is that since it is intended for corporate usage, after its final release, WTPC will only be available to Microsoft customers who have Software Assurance volume licensing contracts. The RC can currently be downloaded from the Microsoft Connect web site.

Although the idea of thin clients did catch on quite as much as some had hoped, it has been steadily gaining ground. Now that the cloud is taking center stage, the time seems ripe for revisiting the concept. In essence, Google's Chrome OS is a type of thin client designed for netbooks, since it's a lightweight operating system that depends on the web as its development platform. The web-based apps are delivered through the browser. In fact, the web browser (which includes an integrated media player) is basically the only application that runs directly on the Chrome OS.

Windows Thin PC offers some advantages over Chrome, in that users get the same Windows 7 interface with which they're already familiar in the business environment. From the IT department's perspective, they can use the same management tools, Windows update servers, standard Microsoft deployment tools, and so forth. They connect to and can be secured through Active Directory policies and support the advanced Remote Desktop features in Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1. They also support enterprise security features such as AppLocker and BitLocker that are otherwise available only in the high-end editions of Windows 7 (Enterprise and Ultimate).

When you boot it up, it looks like Windows 7, at least until you check out the Start menu. You'll find a lot of built-in applications that you're used to seeing are missing in action. You thought they took away a lot of preinstalled stuff with Windows 7 (mail, photo gallery, messenger client, etc.)? Well, in WTPC, you have even fewer. There's no Windows Media Center, no DVD Maker, etc. Wordpad, Notepad and Paint are still there, and so are the standard links to Documents, Pictures, Music, Computer, Control Panel, Devices and Printers and Default Programs. However, if you're used to the pretty, transparent look of Aero Glass, you'll find that's disabled by default and Aero Basic is enabled. Some other standard features are disabled, too, such as virtual memory. You can enable those if you want, but there are other features that have been completely removed. These include System Restore and Windows Search. I guess the thought is that since you wouldn't be storing your data on the local system or installing applications on it, there's no need for restore points - and likewise no need to search for files. A nice thing about WTPC is that it takes up a lot less room on the hard disk - only about 3 GB.

As mentioned earlier, Microsoft is only licensing WTPC to companies with volume licensing plans, and only licenses Windows 7 Embedded to OEMs to install on systems they build. And that's too bad - because a lightweight version of Windows 7 like this would be nice to have for consumers and small businesses to install on their older machines. Tell us what you think. Should Microsoft sell a retail version of WTPC to individuals and small businesses? Would you install a "light" version of Windows 7 on your older systems? Do you think the "thin client" is the way of the future, or do you like your desktop computer nice and fat and juicy? We invite you to discuss this topic in our forum at http://www.win7news.net/110505-Forum
ref. - http://www.win7news.net/?id=86
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Win7 Lite

Postby jon » Sun May 08, 2011 9:02 am

Here is my response on their forum:
"Should Microsoft sell a retail version of WTPC to individuals and small businesses?"

{Expletive deleted}, I'd be happy if Microsoft sold Windows 7 Starter Edition directly to consumers. [I have it on an HP Mini netbook and] I really like it, too. So, yes, a thinner Win7, any thinner Win7, would be a good thing to have as additional choice.

I could have saved several older computers had one been available. Though new computers were cheap at the time I bought them 3 years ago, it would certainly have been a "greener" solution to reuse the old ones here at home, even though they were shipped overseas for reuse: the carbon footprint for shipping them was not small.

What I said is only true in retrospect, with a little time travel involved. The anti-malware software I use now was not yet available back then, and I'm not aware of another industrial grade malware package that would have run on the 1GB or less RAM that those old machines had. Alternatively, the old type of memory on those machines was expensive to upgrade.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby RationalKeith » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:05 am

More of what I call "Future to the Back"?

Terminals were the norm, PCs the exception.
(Many early "PCs" came from companies selling mainframes - HP had a nice little unit, Sperry had a copy of the real IBM PC that wasn't fully compatible with the real IBM PC or clones so didn't sell well.)

Microsoft has had a lite version of Windows for some years, available only in poor countries at a low price.
RationalKeith
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:30 pm

Terminals (dumb terminals) still exist in the form of `telnet client' software. All the VT100 you can ask for. Telnet continues to be a very useful tool to test internet connections.

Anybody notice that Apple is wiping Microsoft's ass with the iPad. The device is a big hit with the ladies because it has no wires. The iPad is a productive tool in many ways because of the created software. The same can be said for the Linux and Android operating systems.

Windows 8 will be coming soon, however I don't believe the product will have a large demand because the consumer has learned the differences from the marketing of tablets.
PMC

Postby jon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:03 pm

I'm still not sure I read it right, but a recent Business article claimed that the total "market capitalization" (current stock price times amount of stock in circulation) of Apple is the largest of any company on the planet, having recently beat Exxon-Mobil.

Though iPads and Mac are very successful products, it is the iPod and perhaps even the iPhone where the volume of sales is so large that it really could make Apple #1 in Market Cap.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News