IPv6

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

IPv6

Postby PMC » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:13 pm

The larger websites get into IPv6 on June 8th (tomorrow). Some of the big ISP's are offering IPv6 to consumers... Videotron in Quebec and Comcast in the u.s. being two of them. The previous format, IPv4, will continue to work

If you have any flavour of Linux, or Windows Vista or Windows 7 then IPv6 already exists within your machine as part of the networking software. It is your ISP that needs to provide it to your cable/dsl modem. It requires a new modem from your provider because of how they are implimenting it. The design uses what is called a dual stack so that IPv4 continues to function correctly. Windows Vista or 7 will select it as the default to use over IPv4, but will fall back if it is not there to use. Most computer users will not physically see the difference, but corporate tech departments wil. If you run a home network or connect to a wifi, the addressing will continue to be IPv4 until the routing devices are running dual stacks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6 for some great detailed info.
PMC

CIRA participates in World IPv6 Day

Postby jon » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:11 am

CIRA participates in World IPv6 Day

OTTAWA, June 8, 2011 /CNW/ - Today, the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) took a major step toward adopting the latest Internet Protocol by making its corporate website (cira.ca) IPv6 ready. CIRA has also installed a widget on its site that will let users know if they are capable of accessing the website via IPv6.

Today is World IPv6 Day, a day spearheaded by the Internet Society (ISOC) to raise awareness of the importance of adopting IPv6. Organizations around the world are participating in this one-day event by making their websites IPv6 ready.

IPv6 is the latest version of the Internet Protocol - the system that enables computers to communicate with each other over the Internet - and will replace the version currently in use. That version, known as IPv4, was created in the early days of the Internet and has been insufficient in meeting the demand for Internet addresses. With IPv4, there are about 4.3 billion addresses in the Internet's address-numbering system. In fact, in February 2011, In February, the final blocks of IPv4 addresses were allocated. The new protocol, IPv6, provides exponentially more addresses - approximately 340 undecillion, or 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 addresses.

Without IPv6, the Internet will not be able to continue to expand. It will also be difficult to incorporate new users, applications and devices, and seriously limit access for those who don't adopt it.

According to CIRA's President and CEO, "At CIRA, we believe that adopting IPv6 is an essential step that Canadian organizations need to take if they wish to continue reaching all Internet users. It's a matter of competitiveness and critical to not being left behind. By having an IPv6 ready website, we are taking a lead role in Canada with regard to IPv6 adoption."

CIRA's website will be available from June 8 onwards via IPv6 and IPv4.

About CIRA
The Canadian Internet Registration Authority is the member-driven organization that manages Canada's .CA domain name registry, develops and implements policies that support Canada's Internet community, and represents the .CA registry internationally.

For further information:

Jennifer Austin
Senior Manager, Communications and Marketing
613-237-5335 ext. 296
jon
Advanced Member

Re: IPv6

Postby PMC » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:21 pm

CIRA may be running with IPv6, I can't test it out... they have redesigned their website, and it seems to be buggy... it keeps trying for a chat link every 2 seconds. If they are running a live chat, it is a waste of membership funds. They charge $50 a year to have a dot CA domain name listed, while all other country domains are much less excluding the dot tel which is a true rip off... in my opinion CIRA is past its due date to get back to the basics of what it was setup for, rather than being another bureaucrat haven. They lost me for a fan when they jumped into bed with Verisign.
PMC

CIRA

Postby jon » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:47 pm

I didn't realize that CIRA provided individual domain name registrations. Or is that what you meant?

RadioWest.ca is registered through namespro.ca, who charges $12.88/year, and has the best domain registration service I've seen, in terms of making it easy to register, renew and manage domains.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CIRA

Postby PMC » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:42 pm

jon wrote:I didn't realize that CIRA provided individual domain name registrations. Or is that what you meant?

RadioWest.ca is registered through namespro.ca, who charges $12.88/year, and has the best domain registration service I've seen, in terms of making it easy to register, renew and manage domains.

CIRA doesn't.. you have to go to a registered provider... I use Webnames in Vancouver. I will check out namespro and see what the catch is. If it is owned by Verisign, I won't go there... $12.88 is a bargain, because I have been paying $50 a year... paid in advance for a couple of years etc. As for CIRA you get asked to be a member if you have a dot CA... you get to vote in the elections they have and answer questions... they tried to setup an online forum, so that the info could be passed on to the privy council, and my suggestion then was, it was easier to send simple e-mail to the council because of all the hoops needed to jump through to write to the CIRA forum...

My hate for Verisign goes back to the days when I had dot com, dot net, and dot org registered names. After they screwed me, I refused to have, and cancelled all american domain names which I registered.. I flipped them all to dot CA. Seeing Verisign go bankrupt would certainly please me :groovy:
PMC

Return to Computer & Technology News