Pam Burge on Global News

News from the world of Television

Re: Pam Burge on Global News

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:A few people here seem to prefer to judge someone before they know all the facts.
The attack on Pam is unwarranted.
You might want to learn the whole story.

Mike Cleaver wrote:As for Tim/Pam Burge, I've heard both good and bad from various people.

There you go. Cleaver suggested that he KNEW the whole story in an earlier post, when in fact, the blowhard was only going on what he had been told by OTHERS. Then he tries to play psychologist.

So Cleaver, unless you've actually known someone personally, and worked with them, don't be shooting those down that have actually walked the walk. (be it in heels or not)
I too, like Karen and FBJ worked with Tim, (though it was early in my career) and he was a class-1 pain.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:06 pm

Sounds like typical mind think of the 70s. If you are good at something, the best way to advance to more money is to manage a bunch of people who are doing that same something. On the other side, companies and government bought into the same concept. Make your best Something the manager of a bunch of Somethings. Nothing could be finer as a way to reward your best Something. Announcer, salesman, truck driver, computer programmer, bookkeeper or any other Something is made into a program director, sales manager, trucking manager, programming manager or accounting manager.

The whole thing was a disaster. Companies and governments lost their best Something first being turned into a lousy manager and sooner than later an ex-employee who is fired or quits. It was as if doing something well magically made you good at managing people who do something. There was no management training or even any coaching or mentoring in the art of management.

There were a lot of lousy managers in the 70s.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:29 pm

WHAT... 'sounds like the typical mind think of the 70's'....

Is the above post in the right thread? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever regarding the topic
And coming from me, that's a big deal!
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:58 am

Agreed. Not really topic specific. But hey - this is r'west - radio without chemtrails.

I think we have covered the subject from right to left and can move on.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:56 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:Agreed. Not really topic specific. But hey - this is r'west - radio without chemtrails.

I think we have covered the subject from right to left and can move on.

Still waiting for Cleaver to admit he's a blowhard.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:26 pm

I don't care who knows whom or worked in the same building. The personal attacks were unwarranted.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:38 pm

drmusic wrote:I don't care who knows whom or worked in the same building. The personal attacks were unwarranted.

Yeah, that's never happened in an open forum before! ;-)
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:48 pm

Paul P wrote:
drmusic wrote:I don't care who knows whom or worked in the same building. The personal attacks were unwarranted.

Yeah, that's never happened in an open forum before! ;-)

Touche. ;) But the difference here is that the attackee is not present.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:Still waiting for Cleaver to admit he's a blowhard.

Think Mike would admit to anything if he and the rest of us saw you admit to being a simple coward.

Mr. Cleaver may be a lot of thing to many people - but he is not afraid of putting his name on something he says.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:38 pm

slowhand wrote:Sounds like typical mind think of the 70s. If you are good at something, the best way to advance to more money is to manage a bunch of people who are doing that same something. On the other side, companies and government bought into the same concept. Make your best Something the manager of a bunch of Somethings. Nothing could be finer as a way to reward your best Something. Announcer, salesman, truck driver, computer programmer, bookkeeper or any other Something is made into a program director, sales manager, trucking manager, programming manager or accounting manager.

The whole thing was a disaster. Companies and governments lost their best Something first being turned into a lousy manager and sooner than later an ex-employee who is fired or quits. It was as if doing something well magically made you good at managing people who do something. There was no management training or even any coaching or mentoring in the art of management.

There were a lot of lousy managers in the 70s.

Howaboutthat wrote:WHAT... 'sounds like the typical mind think of the 70's'....

Is the above post in the right thread? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever regarding the topic
And coming from me, that's a big deal!

My point was, and remains, that complaints about Tim as a PD at CFMI point more to the era's failure to understand that Doing and Managing require completely different skill sets and temperaments. With few exceptions, it took years to get on air in someplace like Vancouver with the majority who aspired to Vancouver never getting there. Yet those who made it to the Vancouver airwaves could instantly be promoted to a management position without any management training or experience required.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:54 pm

Like salesmen becoming sales managers and sales managers becoming General Managers? I can agree that each position has its own skill set. Some of the best managers could be people who had no experience on air but were
very good with people, listened well and showed leadership.

As for PD's most came from the on air side - with some ability to lead being recognized. Mistakes were made.
They continue to be made. I often think today's great manager/hatchetman/bumkisser is the type that delivers to a superior exactly what is demanded. To some - a hot coffee, to others validation for their ideas, to others a date for the night.

It's a true art that most of us don't understand because we have learned that telling the truth and being nice makes for better sleeps.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to On the small screen