Global cancels Newshour

News from the world of Television

Postby tuned » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:45 pm

I tuned into Global tonight for a ten or fifteen minute local news fix. Instead of getting updates on the torn BC Place roof, the gang shooting in Richmond and the sextuplets born last night I got treated to 15 solid minutes of what looked like a bad telethon for Stanley Park. It had all the hallmarks of an SCTV production including audio and teleprompter cockups that had Tony scrambling and stumbling. He can't ad lib his way out of a wet paper bag and he actually had the deer in the headlights look a couple of times. All that was missing was Guy Cabellero in his wheelchair.

Who ever was responsible for pre-empting the news on what is billed as the Newshour should be fired. It shows a complete lack of judgement and a total disrespect for the audience. If Global wanted to do something to help Stanley Park why not pre-empt an hour of the Cancon garbage that they air weekly and replace it with a proper show to help out Stanley Park? They could run it on Saturday night in place of the dismal series of hack documentaries that air at 7pm.

Why should anybody have to raise money to fix up Stanley Park? What the heck are we paying taxes for? I guess the next time I go to BC Place there will be somebody with a tincup outside looking for donations for the busted roof.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Heard It On The X » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:15 pm

tuned wrote: I tuned into Global tonight for a ten or fifteen minute local news fix. Instead of getting updates on the torn BC Place roof, the gang shooting in Richmond and the sextuplets born last night I got treated to 15 solid minutes of what looked like a bad telethon for Stanley Park. It had all the hallmarks of an SCTV production including audio and teleprompter cockups that had Tony scrambling and stumbling. He can't ad lib his way out of a wet paper bag and he actually had the deer in the headlights look a couple of times. All that was missing was Guy Cabellero in his wheelchair.

Who ever was responsible for pre-empting the news on what is billed as the Newshour should be fired. It shows a complete lack of judgement and a total disrespect for the audience. If Global wanted to do something to help Stanley Park why not pre-empt an hour of the Cancon garbage that they air weekly and replace it with a proper show to help out Stanley Park? They could run it on Saturday night in place of the dismal series of hack documentaries that air at 7pm.

Why should anybody have to raise money to fix up Stanley Park? What the heck are we paying taxes for? I guess the next time I go to BC Place there will be somebody with a tincup outside looking for donations for the busted roof.

If you want an update on the shootings in Dover Park, take it up with Richmond RCMP. They called yet another newser today and revealed nothing except to say the victims were being uncooperative and that we all should reminder they're suspects first and victims second.

As for begging for money for Stanley Park, I have to agree with you -- why do we pay taxes? It was just as dumb when NW did their sobfest, Global doing it so no different.
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:18 pm

I understand McCardle will be spending the next month doing interviews with trees, squirrels and lamp standards that survived the big blow.

As for BC Place, NW is working on a beg-a-thon with Shell Busey as the head begger.

Isn't it great that mother nature has supplied local media outlets with programming content for the next few weeks.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Heard It On The X » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:24 pm

radiofan wrote: I understand McCardle will be spending the next month doing interviews with trees, squirrels and lamp standards that survived the big blow.

As for BC Place, NW is working on a beg-a-thon with Shell Busey as the head begger.

Isn't it great that mother nature has supplied local media outlets with programming content for the next few weeks.

Speaking of weather, I will make this prediction right now. Since they're predicting a low of minus 6 by the end of the week, we can expect those street people trying to get into homeless shelters stories to make a comeback.
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:01 am

Has anyone heard what is being done with the revenue from the downed trees?
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:12 am

tuned wrote:
I tuned into Global tonight for a ten or fifteen minute local news fix. Instead of getting updates on the torn BC Place roof, the gang shooting in Richmond and the sextuplets born last night I got treated to 15 solid minutes of what looked like a bad telethon for Stanley Park.

It was like they let a group of chimps loose in the studio and said to them, "Here's some cameras, you guys go put together the Newshour tonight."
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:14 am

Biff Crashly Kinkade wrote:
Has anyone heard what is being done with the revenue from the downed trees?

Let's just say that nobody from the Parks Board is going to be paying for their own coffee anytime soon.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:33 am

So isn't the story here the fallacy of the fund raising?

Kinda like the drives for food and clothing for the victims of the 9-11 attacks.
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:24 pm

CTV News reported that they were expecting to get about 200,000 dollars for the downed timber. DeGenova the parks board commisioner said that damage is likely to be in the two million dolllar range. Small potato's considering how much money all levels of government piss away each and every day.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:32 pm

$200,000 seems a bit low doesn't it? I'm sensing another MacBlo job.
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen