Shaw Media Launching All-News Network For British Columbia

News from the world of Television

Shaw Media Launching All-News Network For British Columbia

Postby freqfreak2 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:31 pm

SHAW MEDIA LAUNCHING ALL-NEWS NETWORK FOR BRITISH COLUMBIA

VANCOUVER, January 11, 2011 – Shaw Media announced today that it has filed an application with the Canadian Radio-Television Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for a regional, Global BC-driven all-news specialty channel. Shaw Media is expected to launch B.C.’s first all-news channel by the summer of 2012.

Building on the 50-year legacy of news and community service at Global BC, the yet-to-be-named news network will provide viewers across the province with the day’s top local, national and international headlines 24-hours-a-day. Using the most advanced news-gathering technology, coupled with Global BC’s award-winning news and production team, the channel will feature more live event coverage and more in-depth, original local reporting than any other in the market. The channel will also feature a primetime talk show hosted by veteran Global BC anchor Jill Krop.

“The creation of an all-news channel in B.C. demonstrates our commitment to help grow and develop Global News in new and exciting ways,” says Paul Robertson, Group Vice-President, Broadcasting and President, Shaw Media. “This all-news network will build on Global BC’s proven success and represents a major step towards expanding Global News’ reach and accessibility province-wide.“

Global News’ all-news network will be made available on-air as well as online at GlobalNews.ca and users will also be able to access the channel using mobile platforms.

“Global News is proud to provide viewers with an even greater opportunity to catch the biggest news anytime they want from the province’s most-watched and most-trusted news brand,” says Troy Reeb, Vice-President, Global News. “With a 24-hours-a-day focus on B.C. issues and B.C. communities, our multi-screen format will provide a tremendous showcase for the communities we serve.”

More details regarding Global BC’s all-news specialty channel will be announced in the coming months.

-30-

Source: http://shawmediatv.ca/press/read/?1634
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Re: Shaw Media Launching All-News Network For British Columb

Postby xxmattxx » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:47 pm

Considering Global BC's news Dominance im surprised they haven't already done this. however it will be great to have a 24/7 news channel for just BC. CBC's and CTV's 24/7 channels sometimes forgot about BC's existence.
xxmattxx

Postby Tape Splicer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:30 pm

Here is the item posted on the "GLOBAL TV: web page.....
================================================================

Shaw Media to launch 24/7 B.C. news channelGlobal News : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:10 PM

British Columbia residents could have access to 24-hour local news on their television sets as early as this summer.

Shaw Media announced Wednesday that it has filed an application to the CRTC for a 24/7 regional, all-news channel for the province.

The channel is set to launch this summer, pending approval from the CRTC, which is the country’s broadcasting regulator. The new channel will include B.C.-focused information in both video and data format, live-event coverage and in-depth reporting around the clock.

Current favourites for news-watchers in the province, from The Morning News and News Hour – both top-rated programs in North America, will also be showcased on the channel. A prime-time talk show, hosted by former News Hour Final anchor Jill Krop, will be added to the news lineup.

“This new channel will give BC viewers even more of the information they’ve come to rely upon, anytime they want,” Shaw Media officials wrote in a statement.

Global News already provides local coverage in Toronto, Vancouver, Kelowna, Saskatoon, Regina, Edmonton, Calgary, Lethbridge, Winnipeg, Montreal and the Maritimes.

© Shaw Media Inc., 2012. All rights reserved.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:02 pm

This is a logical extension of business for Shaw.
They already have most of the content, produced by the news departments at all of their stations across the country.
Add a talk show, ala Jill Krop and you have all the programming you'll need, running in a news wheel format, much the same as the CBC and CTV versions which re-run programming in off peak hours.
Shaw already has the studios and Master Control setup in Burnaby and Calgary and all you need is a small studio space and a control room and some robocams.
The sets are all virtual these days so there's little expense there.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:38 pm

So it's summertime. Anyone know where this venture stands, or if it has even gone to the CRTC yet?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Greetings!!!!
I agree so where does this venture stand??? Maybe that Shaw explosion in Calgary has set them back? Anyone know what if Shaw is still doing this all-news thing???

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Bigbangboom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:24 am

This is funny...
look what was approved just this morning by the CRTC:

2012-394 Shaw Television G.P. Inc. (the general partner) and Shaw Media Global Inc. (the limited partner), carrying on business as Shaw Television Limited Partnership
Province of British Columbia
APPROVED - Application for a broadcasting licence to operate Global News Plus BC, a regional, English-language specialty Category B service

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/whatsnew.htm
Bigbangboom
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:09 am

The positive aspect to the "All News Network" is that there will be jobs to fill. There are some very good reporters out there I hope they get the gig and the network is not left to green horns who have yet to perfect their craft.

If this is truly a regional network, SHAW/Global will need to establish news bureaus through out the province to cover stories outside the metro Vancouver/Victoria area.

I hope that the SHAW/Global news network does not become a TV version of a "News wheel": Top stories at the 00, headlines at 30, Sports at 15 and 45, Weather at 10, 20, 40, and 50. financial at 25 and travel tips at 55, and if their is time human interest fluff to fill. Round and round she goes.... Only time will tell if people will watch.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:17 am

Tape Splicer wrote:The positive aspect to the "All News Network" is that there will be jobs to fill. There are some very good reporters out there I hope they get the gig and the network is not left to green horns who have yet to perfect their craft.

If this is truly a regional network, SHAW/Global will need to establish news bureaus through out the province to cover stories outside the metro Vancouver/Victoria area.

I hope that the SHAW/Global news network does not become a TV version of a "News wheel": Top stories at the 00, headlines at 30, Sports at 15 and 45, Weather at 10, 20, 40, and 50. financial at 25 and travel tips at 55, and if their is time human interest fluff to fill. Round and round she goes.... Only time will tell if people will watch.

'Bureaus' don't happen anymore - too costly My guess is there will be a few 'stringers' in some of the bigger areas who can shoot and report and travel. Stories are fed via the internet. For the big stories, Global would probably sent one of its Vancouver-based reporters to cover.

The whole idea of an all-news 'anything' is the news wheel. Viewers know when they can tune in for whatever... weather sports, news, markets... (please don't do traffic on TV, it's a waste of time)
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:52 pm

Agree with you that 'traffic' on TV is a waste of time!

Any word on whether this channel will be offered free (no additional cost) to all Shaw "digital cable basic" subscribers in B.C.? It's a channel I may tune into occasionally, as an alternative to CTV News Channel and CBC News Network when the hosts there get annoying, but definitely would not pay for the pablum that passes for news that Global BC puts out.

If it becomes a channel one has to pay extra for, via "a la carte" or part of a premium package, it's dead in the water and I give it two years at most. They'd better make it free. :)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby former tv guy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:49 am

BC1 is going live March 14.
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:47 pm

Still not accessible to B.C. viewers including myself (switched to Telus Optik TV last year). I think all Canadian cable news channels, especially regional news channels, should be category 1. For better or for worse, Canadians have a right to equal access, even Sun News Network.

In fact, the content players make money from their news channels from advertising and there needs to be a level playing field. I'd eliminate carriage fees for cable news channels and require them be added to digital basic cable, at a minimum, for free and with no added cost to customer's bills. They can afford it. :)

Any idea when it'll be added to Telus? I'd like to sample it, at a minimum.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:23 pm

dmehus wrote:I think all Canadian cable news channels, especially regional news channels, should be category 1. For better or for worse, Canadians have a right to equal access, even Sun News Network.

In fact, the content players make money from their news channels from advertising and there needs to be a level playing field. I'd eliminate carriage fees for cable news channels and require them be added to digital basic cable, at a minimum, for free and with no added cost to customer's bills. They can afford it. :)

I have long objected to mandatory carriage of any channel that gets a fee per subscriber from the "cable company".

To the best of my knowledge, all of the Canadian cable News channels rely on those fees for the vast majority of their income with advertising revenue a very small part of their income. Admittedly, they are not permitted to solicit local market advertising, but changing that rule wouldn't add enough income to solve the financial problem that would be created for them by eliminating the fees they now enjoy.

CBC Newsworld and all the rest would be gone overnight.

I don't know what the solution is, but I have trouble believing that it will be found going the way we seem to be headed: adding more and more mandatory carriage total fees per subscriber until we reach $50 per month, which would translate into Basic Cable costing more than $75 a month. Unless, of course, you own shares in NetFlix.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby former tv guy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:10 pm

dmehus wrote:Still not accessible to B.C. viewers including myself (switched to Telus Optik TV last year). I think all Canadian cable news channels, especially regional news channels, should be category 1. For better or for worse, Canadians have a right to equal access, even Sun News Network.

Any idea when it'll be added to Telus? I'd like to sample it, at a minimum.

Cheers,
Doug

you're not missing much.
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen