CBC Dumps U.S. Game Shows

News from the world of Television

CBC Dumps U.S. Game Shows

Postby jon » Tue May 01, 2012 8:00 am

TORONTO (Canadian Press) - The CBC is dropping its popular but long-contentious U.S. imports ``Wheel of Fortune'' and ``Jeopardy!''

The public broadcaster says the supper-hour game shows will not return as part of the CBC-TV's fall schedule after contracts expire this summer.

A spokesman says CBC will announce replacement series at the network's fall launch next week.

The chop comes as the broadcaster copes with hefty budget cuts that it says has also forced them to shelve ``Battle of the Blades,'' ``Redemption Inc.,'' ``Michael: Tuesdays & Thursdays'' and ``Being Erica.''

``Wheel of Fortune'' and ``Jeopardy'' were brought in as lead-ins to Canadian shows under previous CBC English Services boss Richard Stursberg.

Last year, Stursberg's replacement Kirstine Stewart said those shows had successfully brought soaring ratings to the broadcaster and that it was time to weed U.S. imports out of the CBC.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CBC Dumps U.S. Game Shows

Postby PMC » Tue May 01, 2012 1:16 pm

Wheel of Fortune is no loss, and a canuck version of `Jeopardy! could be put together that relates. IBM can bring Watson as a fixed contestant :lol:
PMC

Postby drmusic » Tue May 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Oh no? Whatever will we do? We'll have to, uh, watch it on WBZ, I guess.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby SKradiophile » Tue May 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Oh this makes perfect sense. For the better part of at least the last two years,Jeopardy has had about a million viewers on most days. Since CBC has so many shows with equally giant ratings, why not get rid of one of those guaranteed to get a good rating. :twisted:
SKradiophile
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Wed May 02, 2012 10:43 am

Maybe CBC could bring back a classic like Lingo or Supermarket Sweep or maybe see if Wayne wants to bring back his Acting Crazy game show or whatever it was called?

OK I realize some of those were on CTV, but I'm sure the "rights" could be had for a song! :glasses7:

Or maybe Strombo is ready for Prime Time! LOL
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Fri May 11, 2012 8:00 pm

Wow, this is surprising. I originally thought this was a 'coup' for CBC to snag them from Global. Do you think Global will pick them up again or maybe not? Maybe they're getting higher ratings with "ET", "ET Canada" and "The Insider"! :P

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Sat May 12, 2012 11:53 am

The shows are really good for ratings, but CTV and Global are too locked into the ET/Etalk war to put them there. Maybe CTV2, but my guess is Rogers with some kind of City/Omni combo.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen