News from the world of Television

Paging Larry King: CNN Ratings Dip

Postby jon » Thu May 03, 2012 9:00 am

Bad news: CNN’s worst ratings ever
Post Staff Writer
Last Updated: 11:19 AM, May 3, 2012
Posted: 11:10 PM, May 2, 2012
New York Post

CNN is leaking air faster than a morning-after party balloon.

The news channel just had its worst month in 10 years, according to ratings figures just released.

The news was bad for the ailing network across the board.

Nearly every hour of the day was down by double digits compared to April a year ago.

Total viewers were down 16 percent, according to reports.

April 2011 was a big month for news, especially the economy, and all three news networks were down this year compared to last year at this time.

But CNN’s declines were much steeper than rivals MSNBC and Fox News Channel, ratings indicated.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Paging Larry King: CNN Ratings Dip

Postby CKNF » Thu May 03, 2012 10:10 am

Perhaps viewers are growing tired of all the sensationalism that runs rampant on many of these all news channels?

There was a time when I used to watch CNN a lot, however, after all the circus parades surrounding certain stories and their blatant shunning of anything Canadian, I grew tired of it too.
CKNF
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu May 03, 2012 10:42 am

CNN lately has more to do with flashy bumpers and segment intros than actual news. There's very little of that any more. It is also (IMO) the worst network for anchors not listening to their guests/reporters. I've lost track of the number of times the host (I'm talkin to you Kyra Phillips!) has asked a guest a question that they've moments before answered, or been talking about.
With MSNBC and FOX, you get what you expect.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Thu May 03, 2012 11:49 am

CNN is too much, all the time.
News is so depressing, I don't need Tornado updates, or find out what Michelle Obama said at her luncheon.
CNN and news will splinter into the one percenters and the rest. The Web is where it's at.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Thu May 03, 2012 10:08 pm

Based only on presentation and not necessarily but possibly on the personalities themselves, CNN is another news outlet where "glitz & ditz" go to die.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri May 04, 2012 9:14 pm

I find the whole thing kind of odd. CNN has known for at least a decade now that, other than wall to wall coverage of really, really big News events, the ratings were all in "programs" not News coverage.

Yet, they have allowed the hosts of the most popular of those programs to slip between their fingers without seeming to even consider replacing them. Larry King was the most recent, of course. But Aaron Brown and Lou Dobbs also come immediately to mind. And there certainly were others.

I just don't get it.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Fri May 11, 2012 8:02 pm

Amen to all of the above!

Cable news on both sides of the border stinks. As I said previously, the only ones I like these days are BNN, CNBC and sort of MSNBC.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen