heroes lottery commercial

News from the world of Television

heroes lottery commercial

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue May 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Am I the only one that cringes each time the spot comes on and the two people doing it are asking each other questions about the lottery - LIKE THEY DON'T KNOW???

It is annoying and makes them look stupid.

While I'm venting - that Shaw commercial that has a guy singing 'gonna be in a big gall-er-ee'... is equally annoying, simply because it seems to be in every single break! Can't find the remote fast enough some times. :excited:
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Re: heroes lottery commercial

Postby johnsykes » Tue May 22, 2012 7:55 pm

What annoys me equally is the jingle.....Hometown heroes. No, I don't have a problem with firefighters.....its the terrible singers....sounding like they've been on a gin spree the night before. Those heroes deserve better!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Big Voice » Tue May 22, 2012 10:05 pm

Now that’s a funny image. You two guys sitting beside each other, watching the tube in your fake leather Barcaloungers, with a jar of scotch in each hand criticizing every commercial that comes on.
ALL DAY LONG. You two have got to get out more. :lol:
Big Voice
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Tue May 22, 2012 10:23 pm

People STILL watch commercials??? Gotta discover the PVR baby....best invention ever. We never watch live TV anymore...save for the 6 o'clock news. Now if they ever discover an equivalent for RADIO where we can FF thru the dry banter and 5-minute commercial clusters, that industry will be screwed!!! :rockon:
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue May 22, 2012 11:04 pm

Big Voice wrote:Now that’s a funny image. You two guys sitting beside each other, watching the tube in your fake leather Barcaloungers, with a jar of scotch in each hand criticizing every commercial that comes on.
ALL DAY LONG. You two have got to get out more. :lol:

You mean like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpgGwGIqccc or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Tue May 22, 2012 11:31 pm

Sorry, I don't watch TV on regular channels that much....but when I hear the Hometown Heroes promo (its not a commercial)
I mute it. It does come on when the news is on....even during the late news......and on another subject....someone promoing the CTV news calls it a show.......come on....a newscast is not a show. It's reality as in N-E-W-S. Could be Mrs. Christie doing the promo.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed May 23, 2012 6:40 am

The Dish Network, since March, has been offering subscribers PVRs with the new "auto-hop" feature. Instead of having to fast-forward through the commercial set, one simply pushes a button to skip the spot set entirely. Executives in certain circles are very unhappy about this and what it forebodes.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:39 pm

According to those in the know, the most expensive ad slots are now at the beginning and end of a spot set - the first leaving an impression before you punch the remote, the last being caught as the PVR resumes playback.

This might also account for the sudden surge of those annoying in-program banners at the bottom of the screen.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Wed May 23, 2012 1:01 pm

johnsykes wrote:but when I hear the Hometown Heroes promo (its not a commercial)

It's a paid commercial, just like every other lottery commercial you see on TV.

PSA's are few and far between these days. The Shaw EXO ones are in-house promos.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed May 23, 2012 1:03 pm

And, as we're adding some comments other than the Hometown Heroes......what rankles me more than anything....when I'm watching, say ABC, and I'm getting those annoying ads on the bottom of the screen about CTV programming. I understand why we get the Canadian commercials....because the Canadian network has paid to get the American program...but I am peed off
when its not a commercial, its a promo for a different program. Enough already!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed May 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Howaboutthat.....you surprised me with your response.....raising money for hospitals is a paid commercial? Very surprising!
I would understand if it were a spot for a government lottery, but for a charity? Shouldn't happen.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed May 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:It's a paid commercial, just like every other lottery commercial you see on TV.

PSA's are few and far between these days. The Shaw EXO ones are in-house promos.

I have a hard time keeping track of whether "charitable organizations" are running PSAs or paid commercials on a radio or television station, or even in a newspaper.

I can't speak for Vancouver, but Corus in Edmonton runs a lot of PSAs. Especially on iNews 880. And especially if you count the end of traffic reports, when the air time is actually owned by the airborne traffic company.

Again, here in Edmonton, I'm not aware of any charitable organization that PAYS for "commercials" on radio, TV or newspapers. Since most high profile charities, like Full House Lottery, want to do a blitz that requires placement in better time slots than PSAs would get, and much greater frequency, they strike up contra deals. The media outlets that air or publish the ads get prominently listed as sponsors by the charitable organization on all their material associated with the event/campaign. In exchange for the ads.

The media outlet uses these opportunities to fulfill their corporate and/or licensed responsibilities to "give back to the community" AKA Community Service.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed May 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Thanks Jon, I'd be very surprised if cash were handed over. Air time for a prominent mention in the print media would certainly be an asset.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen