HBO / "The Newsroom"

News from the world of Television

Re: HBO / "The Newsroom"

Postby Blabbermouth » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:51 am

Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:53 pm

I will take this opportunity to ask again the thoughts of this group's members about the "Apology" that was made by news anchor "Will McAvoy" in the opening scene of Episode Three of Aaron Sorkin's "The Newsroom" which is titled "The 112th Congress".... after the newscast has opened with a clip from the archives:

Quote:
“Good evening, I’m Will McAvoy, This is News Night and that was a clip of Richard Clark, former counter terrorism chief to President George W. Bush, testifying before Congress on March 24, 2004. Americans like that moment. I like that moment. Adults should hold themselves accountable for failure. And so tonight, I’m beginning this newscast by joining Mr. Clark and apologizing to the American people for our failure – the failure of this program during the time I’ve been in charge of it to successfully inform and educate the American electorate.

Let me be clear that I don’t apologize on behalf of all broadcast journalists, nor do all broadcast journalists owe an apology. I speak for myself. I was an accomplice to a slow and repeated and unacknowledged and un-amended train wreck of failures that have brought us to now. I’m a leader in an industry that miscalled election results, hyped up terror scares, ginned up controversy and failed to report on tectonic shifts in our country, from the collapse of the financial system to the truths about how strong we are to the dangers we actually face. I’m a leader in an industry that misdirected your attention with the dexterity of Harry Houdini, while sending hundreds of thousands of our bravest young men and women off to war without due diligence.

The reason we failed isn’t a mystery – we took a dive for the ratings.

In the infancy of mass communication, the Columbus and Magellan of broadcast journalism, William Paley and David Sarnoff, went down to Washington to cut a deal with Congress. Congress would allow the fledgling networks free use of taxpayer-owned airwaves in exchange for one public service. That public service would be one hour of airtime set aside every night for informational broadcasting, or what we now call the evening news.

Congress, unable to anticipate the enormous capacity television would have to deliver consumers to advertisers, failed to include in its deal the one requirement that would have changed our national discourse immeasurably for the better – Congress forgot to add that under no circumstances could there be paid advertising during informational broadcasting. They forgot to say the taxpayers will give you the airwaves for free and for 23 hours a day, you should make a profit, but for one hour a night, you work for us.

And now those network newscasts, anchored through history by honest-to-God newsmen with names like Murrow and Reasoner and Huntley and Brinkley and Buckley and Cronkite and Rather and Russert…now, they have to compete with the likes of me, a cable anchor who’s in the exact same business as the producers of “Jersey Shore.”

And that business was good to us. But News Night is quitting that business right now. It might come as a surprise to you that some of history’s greatest American journalists are working right now. Exceptional minds with years of experience and an unshakable devotion to reporting the news. But these voices are a small minority now and they don’t stand a chance against the circus when the circus comes to town. They’re over matched. I’m quitting the circus, switching teams. I’m going with the guys who are getting creamed. I’m moved. They still think they can win and I hope they can teach me a thing or two.

From this moment on, we’ll be deciding what goes on our air and how it’s presented to you based on the simple truth that nothing is more important to a democracy than a well-informed electorate. We’ll endeavour to put information in a broader context because we know that very little news is born at the moment it comes across our wire.

We’ll be the champion of facts and the mortal enemy of innuendo, speculation, hyperbole and nonsense. We’re not waiters in a restaurant, serving you the stories you asked for, just the way you like them prepared. Nor are we computers, dispensing only the facts because news is only useful in the context of humanity. I’ll make no effort to subdue my personal opinions. I will make every effort to expose you to informed opinions that are different from my own.

You may ask who are we to make these decisions. We are MacKenzie McHale and myself. Ms. McHale is our executive producer. She marshals the resources of over 100 reporters, producers, analysts and technicians and her credentials are readily available. I’m News Night’s managing editor and make the final decision on everything seen and heard on this program.

Who are we to make these decisions? We are the media elite.

We’ll be back after this with the news…”
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby jawbone » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:54 pm

I do not get HBO, but I assume this is a FICTIONAL show just like the 'West Wing' was.
I get the feeling some are straying into 'Murphy Brown' territory trying to dissect it and Sorkin's opinion of events.
jawbone
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:48 pm

Indeed, those who get most of their information from television would be well-advised to allow for some context in their content... and go to The Comedy Network and any credible creators of fictional drama.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:31 pm

So... How Aaron Sorkin has been using his new HBO soap box to make very blunt statements about the current state of broadcast journalism is of little or no interest to anyone...
Can't say I'm surprised. It helps explain the total lack of interest in the current state of broadcast journalism generally.
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:40 am

To the contrary. Sorkin's positions are similar to those of many who have voiced them over the years in every medium. That he has such a distinctive and accessible vehicle is to everyone's benefit. That is, to the benefit of those who would consider them. Given the polarity of the current social and political scenario, Mr. Kendrick's position would be shared by less than half of those to whom they were exposed.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:15 pm

HBO Canada"s series "The News Room" will be run back-to-back on Monday August 6th from 2 - 8 pm Pacific time.
Here is your chance to catch up on episodes that you may have missed.
I've seen only one episode to date and look forward to PVRing and viewing all six.
The episode i watched "bullies" was very powerful - It was good to see Sam Waterston at a full boil like he used to be at times as Jack McCoy in "Law & Order".
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:40 pm

May I recommend Don Henley's "Dirty Laundry?"
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:06 am

My favorite Will McAvoy (off-camera) line thus far:
"First of all, I'm a registered Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe that hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure and not gay marriage."
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to On the small screen