Remembering Kathi Goertzen 1958-2012

News from the world of Television

Remembering Kathi Goertzen 1958-2012

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Here is a link to the KOMO TV NEWS web site where the Seattle TV station remembers long time anchor/reporter Kathi Goertzen who passed away after long battle with brain tumors.

http://www.komonews.com/
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Re: Remembering Kathi Goertzen 1958-2012

Postby Russ_Byth » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:49 pm

Oh no - I'm very sorry to hear this. Kathi has been fighting for years and I guess when I read on the weekend that she was resting comfortably after another round of treatment, there wasn't much more that could be done.
I loved to watch her and Dan Lewis perform the news - a team that was truly comfortable with each other.
My sympathies to Kathi's family and her collegues at KOMO.
Gone far too soon.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Re: Remembering Kathi Geortzen 1958-2012

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:35 pm

The "KOMO 4 News" at four team is, as I write; remembering Kathi Goertzen - Telling her story with genuine love and affection. Using video clips and live anecdotes and personal reflections to highlight her life as an anchor, reporter and friend. Through barely held back tears Kathi's KOMO family is expressing their love and also helping their viewing audience grieve.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Goertzen family and colleagues at KOMO.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:04 pm

KOMO 4 NEWS will air a special presentation "Remembering Kathi Goertzen" tonight (Monday August 13th) at 8PM Pacific.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:33 pm

I just finished watching a segment from 5pm to 5.30......I have to give credit when its due.....an amazing tribute for an amazing lady. When you hear how long she had been with KOMO and how long she had anchored with Dan Lewis, it makes you realize how quickly the years go by. RIP Kathi.

It also makes one realize we never know when our time comes.....today I learned of the Texas A & M shooting, and then minutes later, hearing my building owner had died. Live life with a smile for others to see.....do something for others to better themselves.....and be thankful for what we have.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:04 pm

Like many in the Greater Vancouver area, I have watched Seattle news for years and the names of many anchors, weather people, reporters etc are more familiar than those at Vancouver stations.

Condolences to Kathi's family, friends and co-workers.

Nice to see the class of rival Seattle broadcasters KIRO and KING who lead their evening news packages with the story of Kathi's passing lots of KOMO footage.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:17 pm

The 8PM KOMO special featured video tributes from two of the news anchors from KIRO and KING TV.
The presentation brought all the elements from the other KOMO newscasts from earlier in the afternoon plus tributes from the Governor of Washington and officials from Washington State University.
There were also social media comments as well as on-the-street reaction from visitors to Fisher Plaza.
The Special ended with a song that was sung by one of Kathi's daughters.
It was a very respectful presentation remembering a much loved friend and colleague.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks T-S for the report. It just goes to show how much people care about those who give so much in their jobs....to the station and the community. It really hit home today.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen