Just give us the forecast please.

News from the world of Television

Just give us the forecast please.

Postby former tv guy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:26 pm

Has anyone at Global BC noticed how Kristi Gordon races through the forecasts for the various regions of the province?
IMO, she spends so much time telling us WHY today's weather happened and WHY tomorrow's weather will happen, that she leaves no time for what we need - the actual forecast for tomorrow!
I don't care about why it's going to rain or be windy, just what's going to happen.

On another topic, I have noticed an increasing number of technical issues.
I'm told the station recently switched to a new computer system to produce the news, that requires fewer people in the control room. If this is true, it's not working.
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Re: Just give us the forecast please.

Postby Fustercluck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 pm

former tv guy wrote:Has anyone at Global BC noticed how Kristi Gordon races through the forecasts for the various regions of the province?
IMO, she spends so much time telling us WHY today's weather happened and WHY tomorrow's weather will happen, that she leaves no time for what we need - the actual forecast for tomorrow!
I don't care about why it's going to rain or be windy, just what's going to happen.

On another topic, I have noticed an increasing number of technical issues.
I'm told the station recently switched to a new computer system to produce the news, that requires fewer people in the control room. If this is true, it's not working.

Thanks for that, Wayne.
Fustercluck
Advanced Member

Postby former tv guy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:44 pm

Sorry to disappoint you, but I think your screen name says a lot about you, while mine bears no resemblance to me.
The webmaster knows who I am and he can confirm that I am not Wayne.
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:03 pm

former tv guy wrote:Sorry to disappoint you, but I think your screen name says a lot about you, while mine bears no resemblance to me.
The webmaster knows who I am and he can confirm that I am not Wayne.

Back to the drawing board Fustercluck. former tv guy is definately not Wayne. I recently met him through a mutual friend at a local record shop.

BTW ... do you have avatars with a 4 or a 5 ready for the end of the month? I've heard QM had a huge December, and hockey is back on 1040.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:06 pm

While we're on the subject of weather forecasts....

What, on earth, is a "future cast"... and how is it any different at all from the meaning of the word "forecast"?

... and...

How many times during any given day... or even during a single hour... does a certain Mr. Lecate have to keep reminding us all that he's a meteorologist?
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:08 pm

Global Vancouver at 6pm seems to have audio problems, where mics are either not on, or not turned off when required. Whomever is running the board is not listening or is occupied with something other than ? It only makes the other stations look better etc.

TSN tonight on their Canadians/Boston game, had poor audio. It was muffled, and probably a poor line feed. The edmonton game that followed after, was clean and clear.
PMC

Postby Fustercluck » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:42 am

The Wayne thing is a joke. Lighten up, some of you!
Fustercluck
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:15 pm

In most parts of the world, the TV weather segment is likely one minute long and graphics only.
It's only in North America we seem to make such a big deal of it.
Tell me what you think it's going to do and how hot or cold it will be.
Most of the forecasts are so off, it doesn't really matter much anyway.
Accuwindow weather forever.
Look outside to see what it's doing.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:In most parts of the world, the TV weather segment is likely one minute long and graphics only.
It's only in North America we seem to make such a big deal of it.
Tell me what you think it's going to do and how hot or cold it will be.
Most of the forecasts are so off, it doesn't really matter much anyway.
Accuwindow weather forever.
Look outside to see what it's doing.

I cannot speak for other parts of the world, but growing up in Vancouver and living in Edmonton since 1975, "The Weather" is a hugely popular topic of casual conversation among adults. Usually as part of the small talk at the beginning of a conversation.

Even now, I find myself reciting the latest weather forecast as I find that the people I run into in the retail environment (restaurants, stores, etc.) seem forever anxious to get the latest update to the weather because they haven't heard a forecast since they were on their way to work.

Just another reason why you need local people planning local programming. Even imaging comes out dreadfully wrong, like references to Parkways or Beltways that are not part of the vocabulary in Western Canada.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:44 pm

Greetings!
Rather appropriate topic as we head into the mother of all snowstorms here in Southern Ontario and the Eastern States!!!! At least that what some forecasters are calling it! Apparently Boston, Mass. might get 5 foot snowdrifts from this storm. WNYM 970 in the New York City area was calling for 30 cms. or more in the New York City area and warning people about travel around New York City Friday and Thursday night later on. In the Hudson Valley north of New York City in WHVW 950 land there could be more. Even J.P. or Pirate Joe the station owner hesistated to tell the forecast on his afternoon show because it sounded pretty ugly if you are not a winter snow lover which I don't think he is!!! Join Mrs. C FAY ANN with that J.P. she doesn't like snow much at all either!!! Me, why I don't mind it all as long as strong winds don't come with it! Apparently its supposed to be blizzard conditions in many areas of the eastern states and Southern Ontario. Right now and its about 1 AM right now we have about three inches of fresh dry snow, light wind with blowing snow and thats just the start of it in the Cobourg area. Peterborough to the north will be worse but the Saturday NHL Hockey live festivities on tv will still go on there according to latest CHEX TV info.. They were warning people about driving conditions Friday though!

Now getting to weather forecasting, its a topic I like particularly winter weather forecasting. Summer weather is usually boring most of the time unless a tornado, or bad thunderstorm roars in! However local weather forecasting in detail is important whether on radio or tv. For years I have watched different weather forecasts on the news hours from Vancouver area TV stations. From Seattle, Washington I like KOMO TV's Steve Poole the best, he is good at it! Mike Judson on CHEX TV Peterborough, Ontario does an excellent job too and puts some humor into it at times. I liked Wayne a lot on BCTV and Global as well as Mark. However I never have really liked Kristy Gordon, she just doesn't quite get the weather message across right as others has said earlier on this thread. You know folks one weatherman on Vancouver Television who was the best up to the 70s was Bob Fortune on CBC TV Vancouver. Just a great guy and excellent weatherman. I learned a lot about weather conditions and freezing levels etc. from Bob Fortune when I was growing up in the 60s and early 70s. I am not sure but think Bob Fortune probably passed away. I know he hosted several tv shows on CBC, I think one was called Klahanni (sorry if I spelled that wrong), it was a great outdoors show too!

Yes Jon I agree with your comments completely about the importance of local weather and traffic conditions. Take care everyone and if winter weather is bad where you are slow down and take it easy. Its probably good weather right now out in the Vancouver Banana Belt, right Jim Ve7rox???? Jim likes to think the weather is nice all the time, good positive thinking though!!!! Not necessarily accurate though! Gosh Jim Ve7rox I wish you were here in the Cobourg area to enjoy this tonight, you would have a lot of fun driving taxi in and around Cobourg just like the great drivers at A-1 TAXI in Cobourg are doing. By the way folks A-1 is a fantastic taxi company in Cobourg, Ontario and most of the drivers go out of their way to be helpful!!!! They have airport service to the Toronto Int. Airport from Cobourg too at the lowest rate as well!

Take care everyone and hope you have gotten a great Valentine Day Card for that special someone!!!!

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Reason Russ Lecate mentions his title....probably because most outlets have a so-called personality read the weather, than those who have the knowledge and training to forecast weather.

I could suggest the same goes for an announcer who intros "Now the latest in sports with sports director Joe Smoo" or whatever.

It does tell us we "should" be getting the news or weather from someone who knows what they're talking about.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:51 pm

Hi Everyone,
Since we are on the weather topic let me just give you an update on what happened here in the Southern Ontario and Cobourg area yesterday. It snowed all day from about 7 PM Thursday night to 2 AM Saturday morning in the wee small hours!!! There was mild to moderate wind with the snow all Friday and Drifting snow. Toronto got just over 30 cms. or l Foot. Barrie, Ontario which is north of Toronto got a lot, from photos I have seen looks like 4 or 5 Feet with cars buried etc... Anyway here in the Cobourg/Baltimore area of Ontario we got about 3 Feet or 90 cms., its all dry snow, some places only got about 2 Feet but in most open areas of Northumberland County South its almost 3 Feet or 90 CMs with some higher drifts. It stopped at 2 AM and the sky cleared for a dark cold night at 15 degrees Fahrenheit. Right now on late Saturday afternoon its only 20 degrees F. which is well below freezing and of course none of that snow has melted hardly even with the sun out all day. A very cold Saturday. My sister's SUV HONDA was almost buried in a drift near the house!!! She was not a happy camper since she needs to get out of the driveway and do Real Estate in Toronto!!!

I heard WBZ 1030 Boston (a 50 KW Historic AM Station) do a great job of all local talk show broadcasting all night. They are always local but last night it was great as they took calls and gave out many reports on the storm in the Boston and Massachusetts area. They are owned by CBS now and are all local format, cheers to WBZ and also to WCBS 880 New York City for their reports and all local news format! Transit buses and some subway lines or part of them were shut down yesterday (Friday night) because of the snow in Toronto and New York City. I think Boston had some transit shut-downs as well. I heard Atlantic Canada and Maine were really going to get it with much stronger winds and of course the heavy snowfall so it was to be a first class blizzard there! In this area I would rate it as a moderate blizzard nothing too extreme except for the snowstorm amount!!! Now that was like the mother of all snowstorms!!!

Anyway I heard Greater Vancouver was basking in the banana belt again. Oh well hope the weather is okay where you are and take care driving if it does get ugly!!!

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:26 pm

johnsykes wrote:Reason Russ Lecate mentions his title....probably because most outlets have a so-called personality read the weather, than those who have the knowledge and training to forecast weather.

I could suggest the same goes for an announcer who intros "Now the latest in sports with sports director Joe Smoo" or whatever.

It does tell us we "should" be getting the news or weather from someone who knows what they're talking about.

And then there was the female weatherperson on CBC-TV's 6 pm weekend 'cast carried only on CHEK, not CBUT, who was embarrassing to watch.

She departed about a month ago, though for some reason did a one-off last weekend. Her usage of "cloud coverage" and superlatives for all situations had me ready to throw rocks at a brand-new flat screen...

Grumbling to Mother Corp gets nowhere.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby Makemegohmm » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:14 pm

I guess the cute, Wesla Wong decided to take a hike away from the concrete jungle to the wonderful Okanagan. The weather forecasters here should be forced to work in Russia for a while, lol.

Does anyone find it funny that News1130 would quote several times a year Accuweather or any other US originating weather forecasting company to provide an outlook for Vancouver/Canada in their headlines? Where is Russ in all of this?

And speaking of forecasts, this last weekend our neighbors down south near Bellingham broke warm temp records. So what does that mean for us? A cool, mixed bag, or rainy winter? I guess we will have to wait and see what Accuweather says and then News1130 will rebroadcast that info.
Makemegohmm

Return to On the small screen