Global announces details of BC1

News from the world of Television

Global announces details of BC1

Postby former tv guy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Decided it needed a new thread...

here's a link to the whole release: http://shawmediatv.ca/press/read/?1913

Thursday February 28, 2013

Sonia Sunger, Leigh Kjekstad, Scott McLean and Asa Rehman Named Anchors of Global News: BC 1

Global News: BC 1 Launches Thursday, March 14 at 9am Exclusively on Shaw Cable

VANCOUVER, February 28, 2013 – Global News is pleased to reveal that Global News: BC 1, the province’s only 24-hour news channel, will officially launch Thursday, March 14. After months of careful planning and preparation, the Global BC-driven specialty channel will flip the switch at 9am PT with the launch of AM/BC, the introspective news program hosted by respected anchor Jill Krop.

“The launch of Global News: BC 1 demonstrates our commitment to providing viewers with unparalleled access to the news they want, when they want it, while continuing to maintain the high standards set forward by Global News,” says Troy Reeb, Senior Vice President, News and Station Operations, Shaw Media. “We know that Vancouverites are already among the biggest consumers of news in the country, and as the first of its kind in the province, Global News: BC 1 will leverage the resources that have made us British Columbia's number one choice for news."

Led by a team of anchors, including Sonia Sunger, Leigh Kjekstad, Scott McLean and Asa Rehman, alongside a seasoned team of reporters and producers, Global News: BC 1 has put the pieces in place to ensure viewers are kept up-to-date on breaking news as it happens. An innovative 'L-frame' display at the bottom and side of the channel's screen will carry the day's top headlines, as well as weather and traffic information to keep viewers informed. The channel will also broadcast all local Global BC newscasts and feature regular content and reports from the station’s entire roster of award-winning anchors and journalists. Through its decades-old connections with key charities, businesses and community groups, Global News: BC1 will also air both daily news coverage as well as the community events and happenings that shape the province.

Global News: BC 1Anchors are as follows:

Sonia Sunger: Weekday Anchor – Born and raised in Victoria, Sunger studied journalism at Concordia University in Montreal, and later graduated from the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology’s (NAIT) Radio and Television Arts program. Sunger began her career at CTV Edmonton, working first as a web writer and reporter before being named Anchor of the channel’s Late Night News cast, and later the Weekend News at 6. A passionate traveler, Sunger has visited Europe, as well as India, Hong Kong, Thailand, Germany and Turkey, to name a few places. She can also speak Punjabi.

Leigh Kjekstad: Weekday Anchor – A native of Victoria, Kjekstad began her television career in 2002 as an Anchor and reporter for WOAY-TV in West Virginia before becoming Evening Anchor at WETM-18 News in Elmira, New York. She later moved to KOAT-TV in Albuquerque, New Mexico before making the trek back to Canada, later working for CHEK News in Victoria. Kjekstad graduated from Queen’s University with a bachelor degree in communications before earning a masters degree in broadcast journalism from Syracuse University. She enjoys skiing, reading and training for half-marathons.

Scott McLean: Weekend Anchor– An accomplished anchor and producer, McLean studied film production at York University before moving to CHBC Kelowna, and later ‘A’ News in London, Ontario. McLean later joined Global Regina as a reporter, covering everything from breaking news to entertainment and social media. In 2011, McLean joined the station’s Morning News program as a live reporter and anchor. A native of St. Thomas, Ontario, Mclean is an avid traveler; and recently visited Minneapolis, Minnesota to cover the 2012 U.S. Presidential Election from a Western Canadian perspective.

Asa Rehman: Weekend Anchor – Rehman studied communications at Trinity Western University before graduating from the Radio and Television Arts program at Columbia Academy. In 2006, he worked as a weather and traffic reporter for the Canadian Traffic Network, while providing updates for radio station Team1040 and CFUN 1410. A year later, Rehman moved to CKNW NewsTalk 980, where he worked as a sports reporter before being hired by Shaw Media’s Fox Sports World as Anchor of the station’s Fox Soccer Report. While with the station, Rehman also produced and hosted a weekly segment called MLS Pulse.

In addition to carrying newscasts and content, Global News: BC 1 will also feature two new, original talk shows: AM/BC and Top Story. Hosted by Jill Krop, AM/BC will offer an introspective look at the stories and issues making waves across the province. More than an irreverent morning talk show, AM/BC will tackle the hard-topics of the day while also offering a light-hearted look at some of the softer stories not being covered by other outlets. Interviews with expert guests coupled with input from viewers through Twitter, and other social media channels will spark discussion and intelligent conversation throughout the program. AM/BC airs weekdays from 9-10am PT.

A half-hour current affairs program, Top Story will dive deeper into the day’s most buzzed-about topics. Through in-depth, contextual analysis on hard-hitting stories, alongside in-studio interviews with politicians, policy makers and thought leaders, Top Story will go above the day’s headlines to give viewers an informed perspective on the news of most importance to them. Airing weekdays from7-7:30pm, Top Story will feature a rotating host comprised of Global BC anchors and reporters, as well as selection of local and provincial special guests and personalities. News Hour Anchor Chris Gailus will helm the program’s first episode.

“Since announcing plans to launch Global News: BC 1 over a year ago, we’ve been hard at work assembling a team of experienced broadcast professionals and creating a news lineup that is informative, intelligent and entertaining,” says Kenton Boston, Vice President, BC and National News. “As the province’s first and only 24-hour news channel, we are confident that viewers will come to find the channel as both a destination for breaking news, as well as an extension of the Global BC news brand they’ve come to love and trust.”

Global News: BC 1will be available to Shaw cable subscribers in high definition on channel 216, as well as in standard definition on channel 21 for the Greater Vancouver Area, and channel 111 for the balance of B.C. In addition, Global News: BC 1 will also be made available on channel 2 in Grand Forks and Salmon Arm and Channel 88 in Quesnel. Additional providers and channels will be announced in the coming weeks.
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Re: Global announces details of BC1

Postby former tv guy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:29 pm

I have been watching this experiment on an on-and-off basis since it began and I have to say I expected a lot more from what was once BC's televsion news powerhouse. Right now (617pm Saturday) I have been watching for 45 minutes and their much ballyhooed graphics haven't changed once - they've been frozen - for 45 minutes. They are running Global BC programming, so I guess no one is paying attention.
As for the actual news and presentation, to me, it resembles a cheap cable news effort. Lots of graphics, when they're working, but little news content. Features from what I imagine are community stations throughout the province, health tips, entertainment, weather, sports and US network stories. Problem is, there has been no "coming up" promos or even graphics that might tempt a viewer to stay.
The weekend 'anchors' appear to be practicum students and are unwatchable.
I expected a whole lot more from the operation in Burnaby, but from a news room that seems to accept regular breakups from their traffic helicopter as a given, it's just too bad.
Cameron Bell must be pulling his hair out.
:oops:
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:01 am

former tv guy wrote:Cameron Bell must be pulling his hair out.

Somehow, I doubt it.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:43 am

Welcome to High School TV!

I couldn't believe this offering. I tried....the people must be volunteers, because I wouldn't pay ten cents for most of them.

Jill Krop, and her new thing I have not seen. I have a feeling Wayne Cox realized he better get out before the new "network" destroyed him by putting him on there.

I can't believe how far this has sunk. The local News offerings are not much different.

Boy, sounding like an old dude, "This never would have passed muster if Cam Bell was running the show".
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby dial twister » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:38 pm

cart_machine wrote:
former tv guy wrote:Cameron Bell must be pulling his hair out.

Somehow, I doubt it.

cArtie.

Jealous cuz Cam still has hair?

There were celebrating Earth Hour at Global and they put the graphics on pause. Unfortunately, they forgot to turn them back on.
dial twister
Advanced Member

Postby Fustercluck » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:06 pm

hagopian wrote:Welcome to High School TV!

I couldn't believe this offering. I tried....the people must be volunteers, because I wouldn't pay ten cents for most of them.

Jill Krop, and her new thing I have not seen. I have a feeling Wayne Cox realized he better get out before the new "network" destroyed him by putting him on there.

I can't believe how far this has sunk. The local News offerings are not much different.

Boy, sounding like an old dude, "This never would have passed muster if Cam Bell was running the show".

It's CP24... Without the talent, budget or clue. Thanks, Shaw for continuing to create more airtime, but not really creating more content.
Fustercluck
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:59 pm

More content will come.

BC1 is a good effort and will evolve, as the local communities being served, watch, and appreciate the BC1 audience reach.
PMC

Postby former tv guy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:28 pm

PMC wrote:More content will come.

BC1 is a good effort and will evolve, as the local communities being served, watch, and appreciate the BC1 audience reach.

You must be watching BC2.
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:16 am

former tv guy wrote:
PMC wrote:More content will come.

You must be watching BC2.

If you want the CNN news format, change the channel. I watch and enjoy `Canadian Content' in `Beautiful British Columbia' :canflag1:
PMC

Return to On the small screen