George Stroumboulopolos gets pummelled in U.S. ratings

News from the world of Television

George Stroumboulopolos gets pummelled in U.S. ratings

Postby Blabbermouth » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:57 pm

I guess things are a little harder in the real world...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/tel ... e12496633/
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Re: George Stroumboulopolos get's pummelled in U.S. ratings

Postby hagopian » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:41 pm

Oy, Strombo, stiffed on his game show a few years ago, in LA and this show on CNN was so poorly rated, I think a few drones had more viewers.

Is it because he is a, egad, a FOREIGNER?

Or it could be that 1100 PM on an all news network is not where this belongs?
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby former tv guy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Did anyone watch him in Canada?
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:32 pm

He's just one of the people that the CBC decide is going to be a star whether the Canadian public wants it or not.
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Postby MonteVideo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:48 pm

He doesn't work FOR the CBC. He's paid for his work on the CBC. Just like he's paid for his work on CNN. Typical Canadian attitude to talent on this board until some radio company hires an Australian or two and then Hagopian is the saviour of radio.
shoop shoop diddy wah
MonteVideo

Postby Blabbermouth » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:04 pm

How does he not work FOR the CBC? And who said anything about Australians working in Canada? What are you talking about?
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Postby Roger Pedacter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:35 pm

Blabbermouth wrote:He's just one of the people that the CBC decide is going to be a star whether the Canadian public wants it or not.

I agree with this. I have nothing against Strombo, wish him well with the CNN gig, but I've never seen the greatness die-hard CBC viewers seem to see.

He's good, talented, comes across as a decent guy, obviously CBC thinks the world of him - and that's great - but that's not enough to ensure success in the States
Roger Pedacter
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:57 pm

Saviour of Radio.

Thanks for the cheap shot. If you enjoy showing your warm and kind nature in a public forum like this, I am sure that you are a delight to be around on a daily basis.

You made my day. Thanks.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:01 pm

I have no idea what you guys are feuding about.

But back to the post...I've got nothing against Strombo. I just think his success in Canada seems a little "artificial," as if he's been propped up by the CBC brass for years because somewhere along the way they decided he's the guy and they've shoved him down our throats for years. Then, when he's put in a truly competitive market like the U.S., they're surprised that he doesn't do well.
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:24 pm

Strombo is an act of kindness... his neck isn't red enough to exist in the southern void.

I watch his show on CBC... I liked the original format over the version used today... it borders on plastic sometimes.

I wish CBC would put Lang & O'leary on News Network at 8pm PDT and follow it with Strombo... CBC News Network runs the National for six consecutive hours some evenings, then runs Lang & O'leary at midnight PDT. They tried a local news and some producer seems to believe that a bouncing camera will keep an audience... it doesn't work for me :lol:
PMC

Postby Roger Pedacter » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Blabbermouth wrote:But back to the post...I've got nothing against Strombo. I just think his success in Canada seems a little "artificial," as if he's been propped up by the CBC brass for years because somewhere along the way they decided he's the guy and they've shoved him down our throats for years.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... d/follows/
Roger Pedacter
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:09 pm

For anyone experiencing issues with the G&M paywall, here is the article that Roger references in his most recent post:

Biggest fave for CBC gift bags? Strombo bobblehead
Steve Ladurantaye
The Globe and Mail
Published Tuesday, Jun. 18 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
Last updated Tuesday, Jun. 18 2013, 2:42 PM EDT

The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. spent a half-million dollars over the last four years on promotional giveaways for its employees and fans, according to documents made available through an access to information request.

The documents show the publicly funded broadcaster is a frequent customer at its own retail outlet, with hundreds of small purchases adding up to hundreds of thousands of dollars in expenses. The items cover the full range of the store’s inventory, from $7 for one “Hockey Night in Canada Retro Beanie” to just over $1,000 for 252 George Stroumboulopoulos coffee mugs.

The most expensive trip to the store last year was a bulk purchase of 284 Stroumboulopoulos bobbleheads for $3,124. Other large buys in 2012 included 15 “CBC Music 8GB iPods” for $3,073, and 175 “Retro CBC Mobile Reporting Bags” for a total cost of $3,020.

The items are frequently used as prizes on its radio and television shows, and are also distributed internally as employee incentives.

The costs have jumped considerably. In 2009, the broadcaster spent $20,802 on the items. Last year, it had increased 550 per cent to $135,278 (although that was $50,000 less than the broadcaster spent the year prior).

Anyone who wants to give away an item from the company’s vast inventory needs to seek the approval of a senior manager, spokesman Chuck Thompson said, but there are no policies about when it’s appropriate to give something away.

“The promotional items were bought from the CBC shop for the public, advertising partners, sponsors and on occasion for employees to mark significant milestones,” Mr. Thompson said. “[They are] discretionary but obviously with good judgement and any purchase must be approved by the supervising manager.”
jon
Advanced Member

Postby former tv guy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:01 pm

If this thread is going to live longer, would someone please remove the apostrophe from 'gets' in the slug line.
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby SteveLegault » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:26 am

MonteVideo wrote:He doesn't work FOR the CBC. He's paid for his work on the CBC. Just like he's paid for his work on CNN. Typical Canadian attitude to talent on this board until some radio company hires an Australian or two and then Hagopian is the saviour of radio.

It's unfortunate that some choose to use this as a forum for taking shots at others, in a weak attempt at humour. It's the second time I've seen a cheap shot in my short time here. Too bad.
SteveLegault
Advanced Member

Re: George Stroumboulopolos gets pummelled in U.S. ratings

Postby Blabbermouth » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:34 am

At least he's out there workin' it....

http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/arts-and-ente ... er-on.html
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Next

Return to On the small screen