McCardell out at Global

News from the world of Television

McCardell out at Global

Postby flyonthewall » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:10 am

Last summer, Global cut back Mike McCardell's airtime on the News Hour. He was given a one year deal that gave him less airtime, but it was still a paycheque until the end of August
this year.

On Monday, Global's new News Director informed McCardell that his last piece will appear next Tuesday. The station is going in a different direction.

The only direction I can see them going is into the tank.

Chances are good we'll see McCardell re-appear elsewhere before too long.
flyonthewall
Advanced Member

Re: McCardell out at Global

Postby hagopian » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Michael is a gem.

These guys in TV mgt. in Vancouver are Maroons. Take a look at the ratings! How do they keep their jobs?

Cameron Bell and Mike and the people we KNOW, made Global a powerhouse.

Now look at what we have. More viewers on You Tube - watching Kristi Gordon freak out about a fly on the weather cam, than tuning in the excerable Global 1. (oh Man)

It makes me wonder.

This year - 26% of new cars are going to roll out with Pandora.* ie. Internet Music and Info. Trad media is fading faster than a Maui Tan.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:10 pm

hagopian wrote:
It makes me wonder.

This year - 26% of new cars are going to roll out with Pandora.* ie. Internet Music and Info. Trad media is fading faster than a Maui Tan.

Any radio station on the web can compete with Pandora... also, most of tx/rx boxes are running Android.
PMC

Postby hagopian » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:11 pm

Very smart call. Android wars next station.......
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:18 pm

What radio has yet to realise is that while outfits like Pandora - and there will be others - can allow for an individual to program their own playlists, they will be unable to program the personalities.
And that, dear friends, will be radio's only opportunity. That is, if it expects to have much of a long, prosperous future.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:28 pm

pave wrote:What radio has yet to realise is that while outfits like Pandora - and there will be others - can allow for an individual to program their own playlists, they will be unable to program the personalities.
And that, dear friends, will be radio's only opportunity. That is, if it expects to have much of a long, prosperous future.

One of the satellite radio companies claims to have solved that. Some of their popular channels allow you to alter the music mix on their internet version without losing the personality who talks at you every ten minutes or so.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:12 pm

slowhand wrote:. Some of their popular channels allow you to alter the music mix on their internet version without losing the personality who talks at you every ten minutes or so.

So the personality is `canned' as per normal :lol:

As I said many times, those that appreciate the depth of the interactive link, will survive.
PMC

Postby pave » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:49 am

This is what caught my attention:
...the personality who talks at you every ten minutes or so.

So, instead of getting a form of personal muzak, the listener also gets Voxzak. Right. Tesh, Donny et al being prime examples of content without any redeeming qualities, risk or spontaneity. I would also argue: or entertainment.
Doomed.
No. They haven't got this one covered - at all.
pave
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen