Annoying background for news ....

News from the world of Television

Annoying background for news ....

Postby Kaslo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:34 pm

Just watched the 5:30 news with Ian White from the Calgary Stampede on CTV Calgary; which is excellent to
see. What is annoys me though is when they do a stand-up right on the midway and get some goober making faces or worse behind him.

I understand that they want that shot to project that they are `part of the action` but wouldn`t it be better to have the talent on a raised platform or something so the crowd is below and they have a view of the grounds behind?

Kaslo
Kaslo

Re: Annoying background for news ....

Postby Doug » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:43 am

The really annoying thing about Global News affiliate newscasts is their so-called "virtual studio". It's so bad and painfully obvious they're standing on a green floor with a green wall behind them (do the personalities start to hate the colour green!?) with only a desk and a couple chairs actually in the studio. It's really cheap (and tacky) looking. Global Okanagan (thankfully they finally ditched, or are on the last legs of ditching, the CHBC News branding) newscasts are now completely unwatchable. I'd rather go to the bathroom, stand at the mirror and watch myself vomit incessantly while I try and stick my finger down my throat. :)

The funny thing is...remember how I used to complain about Tony Parsons on Global BC and how I wanted Chris Gailus to replace him? Well, now I can't stand Chris Gailus and Tony's gotten really friendly, even cracking a smile or the odd joke, on CBC News: Vancouver. He and Gloria are the best anchor team in Canada, among local news affiliates, no question. I know it is totally the station and bad station management for Global BC being hard to watch. It's not even CanWest's fault as Global BC is still hard to watch under Shaw Media. I think they need to clean house and get rid of the station manager, executive producer in charge of news, news director, assistant news director, some news producers and assignment editor and start fresh by poaching some top talent from CTV and CBC.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:20 pm

I'm going to disagree 100 percent. I think the Global virtual technology is working out excellently, and Global newscasts, at least in Sask., look a lot better than their CTV and CBC counterparts.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:05 pm

drmusic wrote:I'm going to disagree 100 percent. I think the Global virtual technology is working out excellently, and Global newscasts, at least in Sask., look a lot better than their CTV and CBC counterparts.

Global Calgary looks pretty good too. Now all they need is less gloomy and less dishevelled female reporters. Smiles are free and I don't think lipstick costs a lot. While I'm at it: How about tighter cues so field reporters don't look like nodding bobble-heads while an anchor introduces them. (Another bad idea from CNN) harumph harumph
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:30 pm

dmehus wrote: I'd rather go to the bathroom, stand at the mirror and watch myself vomit incessantly while I try and stick my finger down my throat. :) Cheers, Doug :pottytrain2:

Nice to hear from you Doug. How are things at the bank.

For the limited time we should watch TV news - I would recommend listening to the content not observing the sets, Tony's dog, or Pamela's hairdo.

Content folks.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Sadly, Jack, there is very little "content" worth watching.
The real reporters are gone, anchors who can do more than read the prompter and actually ad lib or conduct a proper interview or ask hard questions are gone, replaced by fresh out of school pretty boys and girls who can't read, write or talk properly.
Global 1 is a gong show.
As for sets, the days of cardboard and 2 x 2's are long gone.
Green is it for just about every tv operation, hell, I even use it for Skype intervews I do from home, putting up an appropriate background behind me.
As for "goobers" popping up in the background during live shoots, CITY TV in Toronto always had 2 to 4 security people accompany anyone who was doing a live hit in any crowd situation, both to protect the employee and keep obnoxious people out of the shot.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen