CHEK's Days Numbered?

News from the world of Television

CHEK's Days Numbered?

Postby OffAirSince79 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:04 am

It would appear CHEK is hurtin' as it is trying to find a new government trough to belly up to...

With LPIF going, CHEK, NTV ask into a different fund
August 14, 2013
By Steve Faguy

GATINEAU - With weeks to go before the Local Programming Improvement Fund gets cut in half, two independent television stations that rely on it are seeking access to a different fund designed to help small-market stations.

CJON (NTV) in St. John's, NL, owned by Newfoundland Broadcasting, and CHEK in Victoria, which is owned in part by its employees who bought it from Canwest, have asked the CRTC to add their stations to the Small Market Local Production Fund. The fund was established in 2003, to help compensate small-market stations for the audience fragmentation caused by direct-to-home satellite distributors. Funded by Bell Canada and Shaw Communications, it distributes $10 million a year to 19 stations, including those owned by the Jim Pattison group, RNC Média, Télé Inter-Rives, Corus Entertainment and Thunder Bay Electronics.

Both CJON and CHEK make it clear that they are struggling financially and need a fund to replace the LPIF, a fee applied to all television bills that drops from 1% to 0.5% on Sept. 1, and will disappear completely August 31, 2014. CJON received $1.3 million a year and CHEK $2 million a year from the $112-million fund before the beginning of the phase out in 2012.

"Our ability to produce significant amounts of local programming was mainly due to the additional money we received through the LPIF and if we are to continue these escalated levels of production, additional funds are required to replace in part the vanishing LPIF," CJON wrote in its submission. CHEK said it lost 8% of its revenue when the LPIF fee dropped from 1.5% to 1% last September.

Neither station received money from the small-market fund because of a condition that recipients be in markets of less than 300,000 people. CJON, though its network of retransmitters across the island of Newfoundland, exceeds this audience, but its recent decision to shut down analog transmitters outside of St. John's has brought its service area down to 235,000. CHEK, whose market is 340,000, argues an exception should be made because it is in a two-station market, and its competitor CIVI (CTV Two) is being heavily subsidized by Bell Media as a tangible benefit of the recent Astral acquisition.

In a separate application, CHEK is also requesting relief from conditions of licence concerning closed captioning and described video. It argues that it is "extremely difficult, if not impossible, to meet" a requirement to close-caption all advertising a year before other Canadian television broadcasters are required to do so, that it cannot provide two hours a week of original described video, that it has not yet found a way to provide audio description for in-house news and information programming, and that its closed captioning of news, which is done through voice recognition software, has an accuracy rate of 60%, far below the 95%t minimum requirement. "We seek the Commission’s patience in this regard," it wrote.

CHEK also informed the CRTC that a recent review showed it was "seriously delinquent in provision of Canadian Content," so much that "it would be impossible to meet semi-annual or annual requirements."

Comments on the application by CJON are due by Sept. 9 and on the applications by CHEK by Sept. 11 and 12

http://www.cartt.ca/news/16041/Radio-Te ... -fund.html
OffAirSince79

Re: CHEK's Days Numbered?

Postby hagopian » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:56 am

This is a canary in the coal mine, maybe?

Many media outlets are really freaked, looking at their retail numbers.

Christmas sales have started in some markets!

I wish the best for CHEK, and the staff owners, but I don't like the look of this. Hang in guys.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:00 pm

One big loser would be CBC Vancouver News, who have become accustomed to an amazing variety of stories from CHEK for the 5-6.30 pm segment.

I notice tonight (Mon 26 Aug) that Macarenko and Parsons co-hosted all three segments. They usually do solo at 5 and 5.30... and a bunch of (new to me) young reporters led off the 5pm opener... so did CBC-TV launch its new season early?

However, groans set in with the lead story at 6pm being of a woman recovering her lost bicycle: er, really, in the second-largest English-speaking market in the True North? The most important news story of the day for 2.4 million of us?

And it didn't help with the repeat of a two-woman death story that supposedly took place in a New Westminster apartment building in the 200-block 11th AVENUE... no such thing. Tenth is the boundary for Burnaby, and 11th taint go that far east. I jump to a conclusion of 11th Street.

Old story: if I can pick holes in basics, don't expect me to believe the rest...
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:19 pm

Had I waited 24 hours to pose the question "How Is Traditional TV Doing?" I would have had my answer.

It would appear that thee isn't room on the media landscape for "mom and pop" operations, whether radio, TV, or newsprint.

I know of family members who use their digital devices to watch network television online , along with NETFLIX for movies . Online music and news pages are also part of their daily life

Is it any wonder that small market independent stations are in trouble?
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby OffAirSince79 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:07 pm

Rats leaving the sinking ship?

John Pollard's Overview

Current: Sales and Marketing Executive at Rogers Communications

Past: Sales, General Manager, GSM, President at CHEK Media Group
President at CHEK Media Group
Sales at CHEK News

http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/john-pollard/a/256/509
OffAirSince79

Postby YesterDaze » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:27 am

I don't believe Mr. Pollard left CHEK voluntarily.
YesterDaze
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen