Pick 'n' Pay TV on the way?

News from the world of Television

Pick 'n' Pay TV on the way?

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:48 pm

According to local newscasts the federal government will introduce "pick'n'Pay options for consumers who use cable and satellite to view television.

It will be interesting to see how the government and CATV industry will work to make "pick'n'Pay happen.

Will the legislation have sufficient power to force the issue or will this only be voluntary?

We'll have to wait and see.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Re: Pick 'n' Pay TV on the way?

Postby slowhand » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Not a lotta detail yet making it hard to tell how it will turn out. Smart money says the CRTC won't be short circuited out of the picture on this.

All of which guarantees you'll have to buy one maybe even two Canadian channels for each American channel you actually want to watch.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:26 pm

Tape Splicer wrote:According to local newscasts the federal government will introduce "pick'n'Pay options for consumers who use cable and satellite to view television.

It will be interesting to see how the government and CATV industry will work to make "pick'n'Pay happen.

Will the legislation have sufficient power to force the issue or will this only be voluntary?

We'll have to wait and see.

So how are we gonna decide what we "pay" for, amongst the free-to-air picked-up stations which are Basic TV?

The "extras", i.e. paid, are already available piece-meal/individually from Telus Optik, though if I paid my chosen channels separately, I'd be shelling out more than the theme pack price.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:37 am

I find it amusing that government makes claims of helping the consumer, when it is iptv technology that has made the channel change a reality.

There will continue to be packages, how they get marketed will probably be by the channel type content and origin.
PMC

Return to On the small screen