Deborah Hope MIA at Global?

News from the world of Television

Deborah Hope MIA at Global?

Postby kal » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:00 pm

What's up with Deborah Hope's position at Global?

To be honest I hadn't noticed anything amiss until my elderly mother phoned to ask me "what has happened to Deborah Hope on the 5 pm news?" My only come back was that she was probably on holidays.

My mother eventually phone over to Global ... the front desk person, when asked if Deborah still worked there said "I think so" (or words to that effect) and then connected my mother to the news room itself. I'm not sure who came on the phone but the answer to the same question was that "she'd been on vacation and was now on extended leave." There was no indication that she might return at a specified date.

I note that her Twitter stream has been relatively quiet until a small barrage of four similar tweets on December 5. Here's one:

"@hiebertlorraine @chrisgailus @cknw @michaeleckford I've been away but I'm coming back soon. Thanks for thinking of me!"

Her Twitter profile states: "I anchor the Early News on Global -- and Insight on the News Hour. Love my job!"

So, is there something amiss?
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Deborah Hope MIA at Global?

Postby tkd » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:37 pm

I think there is something amiss. I have not heard any mention of her at all by any on-air staff.
tkd

Postby PMC » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:40 am

If you check with someone at Global, they will tell you that she does singing with some other ladies :santa21: and tis the season for it..
PMC

Postby flyonthewall » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:21 am

Word on the street is that it appears management is trying to force her out and she's not going quietly.
flyonthewall
Advanced Member

Postby YesterDaze » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:16 am

My first suspicion was she's at that age when a female on TV might need 'extended leave' to have some 'work done' .. i.e. shed the ravages of time.

Anyone else been around long enough to remember when Deborra from Trail was known on air as Deb Vandergracht?
YesterDaze
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:07 am

I am sorry that no Global execs contacted any of you about this matter, but am pleased to see you still have time for pointless speculation.
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:14 am

flyonthewall wrote:Word on the street is that it appears management is trying to force her out and she's not going quietly.

A similar thing happened in the early 1980's in Kansas City with Christine Craft who was 37 at the time and was told she was too old to be a TV news anchor.

1982 People Magazine story: http://www.people.com/people/article/0, ... 56,00.html

Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Craft

Many will remember Christine from her years as a talk show host on San Francisco's KGO where she still pops up every now and then as a fill-in host on one of rthe weekend talk shows.
When she was in her 50's, Christine went back to school and became a lawyer, which is still her daytime job today.

Rather than play games, Global should just give Deb the severence she deserves if they want to part company and everyone can get on with their lives. I'm sure this stuff going on does absolutely
nothing for morale or lack thereof in the once mighty Global newsroom.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby YesterDaze » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:35 am

isthisthingon wrote:..... pointless speculation.
Ah comeon, you aren't really trying to curtail one of the fun uses of message boards are you?

Talk about a killjoy .....
YesterDaze
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:01 pm

I was in between bingo games here at the home.
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:24 am

Highly speculative at best - but interesting chatter - "who will win the guessing game?"

Why is it that changes are made at this "family" time.

I contacted two persons inside - One did not reply: He is off the Christmas card list

The reply I got from an authoritative source: Deborra :presents1: has been under the weather and will be returning.

Time heals, time marches on, time - if no word by December 31st - declare a winner.

Now a number of old timers have been disconnected from Global and maybe this another example - I think Deb has been a valuable backup
to any Anchor at Global/BCTV/CHAN and her service should be recognized.

The website still reflects her position in the company
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:22 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:- Highly speculative at best -
-The reply I got from an authoritative source: Deborra has been under the weather and will be returning.
-Time heals, time marches on,
-The website still reflects her position in the company

Thank you for posting this Jack. RW isn't the Enquirer or BuzzFeed - despite the sad attempts of the conspiracy crowd.
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:52 pm

isthisthingon wrote:
Jack Bennest wrote:- Highly speculative at best -
-The reply I got from an authoritative source: Deborra has been under the weather and will be returning.
-Time heals, time marches on,
-The website still reflects her position in the company

Thank you for posting this Jack. RW isn't the Enquirer or BuzzFeed - despite the sad attempts of the conspiracy crowd.

Brilliant post professor!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:18 pm

End of the MIA bulletin. Apparently Deborra (misspelled in the original post) is back in action, appearing today on the noon news and on the 5 pm segment.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:32 pm

I'm not a Deborra Hope fan, but that's sad if management is trying to force her out a la Susan Hutchison. KIRO-TV I don't think has ever recovered since she was unfairly ousted from the station. They've been through successive female co-anchors, Kristy Lee, Margo Myers and now that overly melodramatic Monique Ming Laven, and Steve Raible isn't getting any younger.

Why not move Deborra Hope to News Hour Final? She might not be Jill Krop material but she's a heck of a lot better than Anne Drewa. (My mom and I were wondering if Anne Drewa might've used to have been a member of the opposite sex, perhaps an 'Andrew Drewa'...any truth to that or no? She has an awfully broad physical stature and presence.)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:29 pm

dmehus wrote: (My mom and I were wondering if Anne Drewa might've used to have been a member of the opposite sex, perhaps an 'Andrew Drewa'...any truth to that or no? She has an awfully broad physical stature and presence.)

Cheers,
Doug

Are you kidding me?
You make some good points in other threads then you go and say something stupid like that?
Does your mom know you're making her look like an idiot on message boards? :oops:

(BTW, I have no doubt that the tall blonde could kick your a** any day)

Cheers,
HB
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Next

Return to On the small screen