Gloria Macarenko 'leaving' anchor desk at CBC TV Van.

News from the world of Television

Gloria Macarenko 'leaving' anchor desk at CBC TV Van.

Postby flyonthewall » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:10 pm

Jul 30, 2014 12:45 PM PT
CBC News
CBC Vancouver is making changes to its local TV newscast, announcing today that Andrew Chang, who recently left the anchor desk at CBC News Montreal, will become the anchor of the supper hour broadcasts.

Chang has been with the CBC for 10 years, beginning as a staff reporter and video journalist covering both local and national breaking news. He was part of CBC's broadcast team for Sochi 2014 and recently ​filled in ​host​ing​ CBC Radio One's The Current.

"The team at CBC Vancouver has proven time and time again that they are the best at investigative and original journalism,” sa​id ​Chang.

“The radio and online offer is one of the strongest in the country and I am looking forward to being part of the team."

In addition to hosting CBC News Vancouver ​on television​ beginning on Sept. 1, Chang will provide perspective on ​the top stories of​ ​the day on radio​,​ as well as write ​analysis pieces ​for​ cbc.ca/bc.

"Andrew has a gift for interviewing and analysis. He can break down a story like few others can," said Johnny Michel, senior managing director for CBC British Columbia and Alberta. "His passion for news ​,​ coupled with a strong technical background in editing, shooting and programming​,​ positions him perfectly for where the future of broadcasting is going – multiple skills in a multiplatform environment."

Current ​television news ​host Gloria Macarenko will become the new host of CBC Radio One’s network show The Story From Here, ​which showcases​ stories and documentaries from across the country.

“This is an incredible time of change for the CBC and the industry in general,” sa​id​ Macarenko​.​ “I believe with every change comes opportunity. I look forward to adding radio to my role. ​"​

Macarenko will ​also ​continue to host the weekly current affairs television show, Our Vancouver,​ and ​will appear in​ a regular segment on CBC News Vancouver​ doing ​one-on-one interviews with a wide range of high​-​profile Vancouverites.
flyonthewall
Advanced Member

Re: Gloria Macarenko 'leaving' anchor desk at CBC TV Van.

Postby jon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:14 pm

There may be others, but Andrew is the first broadcaster I'm aware of who has taken paternity leave, short though it may have been: he left CBC Montreal in May.

Nice to see a Father investing the time necessary to really help out during a very stressful time, when parenting is even more of a 24/7 activity than normal.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:51 pm

Gloria said all the right things - but it must hurt.

I am glad that she still has a gig, while so many of our cohort, in the private Sector, keep getting the axe.

I wish Glo nothing but the best. She is a very classy person, and a real pro.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:27 pm

Wow, this is the single best news in anchor changes at the CBC (or any broadcast network for that matter) in the last 15 years, without a doubt! :)

I'm a huge fan of Andrew Chang - he's polished, has a calming voice that doesn't over-enunciate and isn't ear-piercing or "wispy" (like Tamara Taggart) and doesn't "rattle your nerves" (like Sereka Sehgal - however you spell it!). I've easily ranked him, Diana Swain, Mark Kelley, Omar Sachedina (at CTV National News), Anne Marie Medawake and Todd Van Der Heyden (at CTV News Channel) as my "top 6" news anchors in Canada.

The only downside is does this mean Peter Mansbridge is going to stick around for more than 12 months!? I would've loved to see Andrew Chang host "The National" and I can hardly stand Peter Mansbridge anymore thanks to his constant "chewing" on air that sounds like he's eating a sandwich at the end of a sentence! :(

The other downside is Macarenko would still be in my "top 10" news anchors. She's a solid anchor. I wonder if she requested the change or if CBC made the move? If the latter, could we see her replace Tamara Taggart at CTV News Vancouver? Gloria Macarenko and Scott Roberts replacing Taggart and Killeen would be a team worth watching - the best anchor "duo" in Vancouver since Bill Good and Pamela Martin. ;)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:35 pm

dmehus wrote: I can hardly stand Peter Mansbridge anymore thanks to his constant "chewing" on air that sounds like he's eating a sandwich at the end of a sentence!

:violent1:

Doug back in your sandbox - time to play with the kids. What a stupid statement about one of Canada's finest communicators. It will be hard to find
a replacement but it must be a woman or man for the next generation.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:50 pm

Finest communicators? Hardly. I used to enjoy his broadcasts, but honestly, it's really hard to get past that "chewing" sound he makes.

Dawna Friesen is the best primetime network news anchor right now, in my opinion. I've always loved her (back in her "News One" days at CTV when she and LaFlamme launched the channel). The only problem is Global puts Global National on too early and at odd times. They need to seriously consider putting it on at 11 pm and shifting News Hour Final back by 30 minutes.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:43 pm

dmehus wrote:at CTV when she and LaFlamme launched the channel

I am sure LaFlamme has a first name - I am surprised Lisa and Dawna don't call you "Lumpy" :towel:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:15 pm

As for putting it on at 11p Doogie - the ratings numbers tell a different story.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby czarcasm » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:45 pm

Andrew who?

Sorry, I'm not from the GTA. I guess he's not quite a household world in Vancouver yet.

Maybe once they crack a 1.0 share.
czarcasm
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:44 pm

czarcasm wrote:Andrew who?

Sorry, I'm not from the GTA. I guess he's not quite a household world in Vancouver yet.

Maybe once they crack a 1.0 share.

I understand that Andrew worked CBC Montreal and did the National on the weekend a couple of times that I saw myself.

He is good broadcaster in my opinion and should be great in Vancouver.
PMC

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:55 pm

One word:

Demographics.

The six o'clock News is no big deal, with this wired world...the CBC was doing a what, 0.6 share in 25-54?

In short - TROUBLE, and Gloria was getting paid well, no doubt. Bean Counters are in the mix.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen