Talk Show Legend Tom Snyder dies at 71

News from the world of Television

Talk Show Legend Tom Snyder dies at 71

Postby Glen Livingstone » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:14 am

'Tomorrow' host Snyder dies at 71

4 hours, 36 minutes ago

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Talk show host Tom Snyder, whose smoke-filled interviews were a staple of late night television, has died after a struggle with leukemia. He was 71.

Tom Snyder is most closely associated with "The Tomorrow Show," which he hosted from 1973 to 1981.

Snyder died Sunday in San Francisco from complications associated with leukemia, said his longtime producer and friend Mike Horowicz.

Known for his improvised, casual style and robust laughter, Snyder conducted a number of memorable interviews as host of NBC's "The Tomorrow Show." Among his guests were John Lennon, Charles Manson and Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols.

He gained more fame when Dan Aykroyd lampooned him in the early days of "Saturday Night Live."

Snyder began his career as a radio reporter in Milwaukee in the 1960s, then moved into local television news. He anchored newscasts in Philadelphia and Los Angeles before moving to late night.

In 1973, Snyder left news to host "The Tomorrow Show," which followed "The Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson. He hosted the show until 1981, according to "The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable Shows."

His catch phrase for the show was: "Fire up a colortini, sit back, relax, and watch the pictures, now, as they fly through the air." Snyder smoked throughout his show, the cigarette cloud swirling around him during interviews.

In 1980, "Tomorrow" -- which had been 60 minutes -- was expanded to 90 minutes. Gossip columnist Rona Barrett was added to the show, but she and Snyder didn't get along. Their feud made headlines.

In 1995, he returned to late-night television as the host of "The Late Late Show with Tom Snyder" on CBS. The program followed David Letterman's "Late Show" until 1998, when Snyder was replaced by Craig Kilborn.

Snyder announced on his Web site in 2005 that he had chronic lymphocytic leukemia.

"When I was a kid leukemia was a death sentence," he wrote then. "Now, my doctors say it's treatable!" E-mail to a friend

2007 Associated Press
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:16 am

Mrs. Pluto here ... I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that just came in ...

Rest in Peace, and God Bless You, sweet Sir Tom.

You were quite simply the best in the business; we've already been missing you every night for years, and we'll never see another like you.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:24 am

Of all of the broadcasters we've lost over the past couple of years, I think the news of Tom's death bothers me the most.

What a great, great talent.

I didn't even know he was sick.

What a loss.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:57 am

That's terrible. Tom was one-in-a-million and sadly we'll never see another like him. Sure he was from a different era, but every time you watched you were never sure what direction an interview might go.
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen