Sun News Network on 'Death Watch'

News from the world of Television

Sun News Network on 'Death Watch'

Postby arthurdent » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:29 pm

A dust-up over severance for Sun News Network execs may kill the Zoomer takeover...and the network itself. I'd feel bad for the folks behind the scenes if that happened, but not for the raving loonies that set it's right wing rant agenda or the 'talent' that delivered it all: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/26 ... 49856.html
arthurdent
Advanced Member

Re: Sun News Network on 'Death Watch'

Postby PMC » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:44 pm

This is a better link to the actual story

http://canadalandshow.com/article/sun-n ... deathwatch
PMC

Postby tuned » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:17 pm

Sun News got shafted. Cable companies are forced to carry the news channels of every other media conglomerate in Canada except the one from Quebecor. Just another example of Canadians not giving a damn about free speech. Do I think Sun News is a great channel? I have no idea since I've never had a chance to watch it. I do know that I'm not impressed with BC1, the CTV News Channel or CBC's Newsworld and I'm stuck paying for them as part of my cable package. Canadians love having their government interfere in the marketplace but you'd think they'd insist the rules would apply evenly. So when I hear people whining and moaning about cable companies and the CRTC all I hear are a bunch of hypocrites. That's just half of the hypocrisy. Quebecor created a lot of brand new jobs in an industry that has lost a ton of them in the past decade. It seems no good deed goes unpunished.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:38 pm

tuned wrote:Sun News got shafted.

Some would call that karma !

tuned wrote: Do I think Sun News is a great channel? I have no idea since I've never had a chance to watch it.

After reading your piece, you qualify for a job there. Don't confuse the issue with facts :lol:
PMC

Postby tuned » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:44 pm

I've been paying for the CTV News Channel for almost twenty years and I never watch it. When it first went on the air it had production values that make the Home Shopping Channel look like HBO. Anybody remember the spinning wheel of anchors? Back then it was called CTV News 1 and I think the one was a reference to their budget. In 2011 after raking in millions extorted from Canadian cable subscribers they took some of that money and hired an American outfit to design new logos and and a new "on air" presentation.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:47 am

tuned wrote:Sun News got shafted. Cable companies are forced to carry the news channels of every other media conglomerate in Canada except the one from Quebecor. Just another example of Canadians not giving a damn about free speech. Do I think Sun News is a great channel? I have no idea since I've never had a chance to watch it. I do know that I'm not impressed with BC1, the CTV News Channel or CBC's Newsworld and I'm stuck paying for them as part of my cable package. Canadians love having their government interfere in the marketplace but you'd think they'd insist the rules would apply evenly. So when I hear people whining and moaning about cable companies and the CRTC all I hear are a bunch of hypocrites. That's just half of the hypocrisy. Quebecor created a lot of brand new jobs in an industry that has lost a ton of them in the past decade. It seems no good deed goes unpunished.

You do realize SUN was not the only application before the commission, right? Did denial of the other evil liberal media boogeymen outlets necons like to deride, get screwed too?

So... if SUN was granted mandatory inclusion, would that not invalidate the latter part of your point? SUN is a sinking ship and even by Quebecor's admission was an existential decision. In other words, petitioning the government to be granted corporate welfare.

Free speech? That's the drivel I've come to expect from the hypocrites who jump on their high horse to ride down the low road with double standards as saddlebags.

I'm no fan of the CRTC either, but at least they know the difference between unifying the country, instead of ripping it apart.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:52 pm

None of the all news channels should have mandatory carriage. There is plenty of news on the OTA channels included in basic cable. I bet the other news channels would be in the same financial dire straits as Sun News if they weren't forced down cable subscribers throats. If I'm forced to pay for that blowhard Kevin O'Leary on CBC Newsworld then Sun TV blowhards should get the same deal. Canadians don't believe in free speech. It's one of the main differences between Canada and the US.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby gwp » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:00 am

Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
Fundamental Freedoms
2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d) freedom of association.

Perhaps SUN news should put up a tower and level the playing field with CBC, CTV, Global, etc. If cable companies thought it attracted and audience they would carry it.
gwp
gwp
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:03 am

They tried that. However, broadcast licences differ from specialty channel licences (i.e., news networks) under CRTC rules. Sun News grew out of Quebecor buying the station after CHUM bought Craig Media's assets including what was then, Toronto One.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKXT-DT
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:32 pm

I would love to see the hard numbers on ALL cable offerings.

We have a largish and bloated, over priced, SHAW package - and I realized we watch maybe, 10 or 11 of the channels regularly. We are dropping it this month.

I wonder how many of these channels are attracting flies?

My wife is a Netflix Freak - and with Comcast - I have it on the big screen - for under $10 a month?

Cable is a Dinosaur, if you believe the "new paradigm" hype.

Now back to CNN.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:50 am

Greetings Everyone,
Tuned you can watch Sun News Network on Bell TV (or Bhell as Mike might put it!) ... Bell Satellite TV carries it and they used to carry RTV which is Russian TV News Network with reporters from the USA and even Larry King was on RTV. I am no fan of Sun News Network having watched it quite a few times. Yeah they have news and right wing tv talk shows. Some points are interesting but overall I find its based on a lot of sensationalism!!! Not a big fan of tv much at all however i do really like CP24 which is the local All News TV station in Toronto 24/7, they have a great car talk, pet talk and real estate show as well. One of the anchors Ann Rohmer is fantastic and I love her broadcasting skills. Its very oriented about Toronto with regular traffic and weather reports. Its carried on Bell (Bhell) Satellite Dish TV Network along with many other channels too . Here in the Cobourg, Ontario area we get all the Boston TV stations from Bell Satellite TV including Fox too. Again I am not a big tv fan and prefer listening to radio a lot more! But just thought I would mention this. As far as I know Bell Satellite TV service is available across Canada and in the Lower Mainland of BC too. I have my cell phones with Bell/Solo and they gave me full information in Langley about hooking up to Bell Satellite TV out there instead of cable. Which I might do at the new home we are buying in Murrayville. By the way CHEK TV 6 Victoria is carried here on Bell Satellite TV too, like watching it when I miss BC a lot which has been quite a bit over the past year or two!

So if Sun Network goes I won't miss it! I really got a kick out of watching slick Russian American style TV from Moscow with all English reporting etc... Quite an interestng take on the news and some of it pretty funny stuff! Like I said US broadcasters like Larry King are on it as well as Russian reporters!

All the best to you! 73s From Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen