Brian Williams out of the anchor chair at NBC

News from the world of Television

Brian Williams out of the anchor chair at NBC

Postby kal » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:55 pm

It's been an interesting week for Brian Williams at NBC.

The issue here isn't so much one mistake, as a mistake that has been propagated over time, and that may have been a factor in elevating Williams to his position atop the NBC News team. That has lead to questions about some of his other reporting, notably that during Hurricane Katrina. With a branding of "the most trusted news anchor" there is cause for alarm from his bosses. Then again, some say that certain bosses were aware of this embellishment and supported him nonetheless. There aren't many widely recognized news anchors. When trust in one is questioned it diminishes the entire profession by extension.

Now that he is off the air there is certain to be an investigation into his reporting and embellishment of particular stories.

As Harvey Oberfeld has stated in some of his pieces, certain anchors have a "gravitas" that is not easily duplicated. Tony Parsons had this quality; so, many would say, did Williams. Let's see if he returns to his position at NBC.

kal
Advanced Member

Re: Brian Williams out of the anchor chair at NBC

Postby drmusic » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:02 pm

On the topic of gravitas, yes, I think Williams has it, but he also puts at risk with too many comedy appearances. Once in a while is fine. As for this, I don't think he survives it.

Gravitas? Scott Pelley has it big time. I thought Diane Sawyer had it, though others may not agree. Virtually no one at CNN does these days, and that especially goes for Wolf Blitzer and his monotonous yelling, and Anderson Cooper's "holding people to account by getting angry" bit.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:06 pm

Well said. Yes, Scott Pelley is terrific. I think you are correct; Williams can't survive this. Then, who is waiting in the wings at NBC? Perhaps they go outside and pull in Katie Couric. What would Walter Cronkite have said? Interestingly Tom Brokaw, according to published reports, is not calling for his successor to stand aside. But who really knows? There are public reports and then there is the behind-the-scenes action.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:43 pm

Katie Couric?

If Brokaw throws you under the bus, and stories of "inflationary" stories, circulating for years, are proven true - he's done.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:02 pm

Here's an article arguing that Williams will see that anchor chair again, primarily because of his "entertainment" appeal on all those other programs where he seems to pop up regularly.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/08/brian-williams-nbc-iraq-katrina-scandal

Anchors nowadays, it would appear, aren't what we once wanted.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:18 pm

Out for six months. Suspended. Without pay. And just hours after we learned that Jon Stewart is leaving The Daily Show. Which of the two is the most trusted name in journalism? Or was? I believe a recent poll had Stewart ahead of the real anchors!

Here's the full release from NBC. It's pretty damning for Williams. (purloined from The Drudge Report)

Date: Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 4:48 PM -0800
Subject: Brian Williams
To: "@NBC Uni NBC News All"

All,

We have decided today to suspend Brian Williams as Managing Editor and Anchor of NBC Nightly News for six months. The suspension will be without pay and is effective immediately. We let Brian know of our decision earlier today. Lester Holt will continue to substitute Anchor the NBC Nightly News.

Our review, which is being led by Richard Esposito working closely with NBCUniversal General Counsel Kim Harris, is ongoing, but I think it is important to take you through our thought process in coming to this decision.

While on Nightly News on Friday, January 30, 2015, Brian misrepresented events which occurred while he was covering the Iraq War in 2003. It then became clear that on other occasions Brian had done the same while telling that story in other venues. This was wrong and completely inappropriate for someone in Brian’s position.

In addition, we have concerns about comments that occurred outside NBC News while Brian was talking about his experiences in the field.

As Managing Editor and Anchor of Nightly News, Brian has a responsibility to be truthful and to uphold the high standards of the news division at all times.

Steve Burke, Pat Fili and I came to this decision together. We felt it would have been wrong to disregard the good work Brian has done and the special relationship he has forged with our viewers over 22 years. Millions of Americans have turned to him every day, and he has been an important and well-respected part of our organization.

As I’m sure you understand, this was a very hard decision. Certainly there will be those who disagree. But we believe this suspension is the appropriate and proportionate action.

This has been a difficult time. But NBC News is bigger than this moment. You work so hard and dedicate yourselves each and every day to the important work of bringing trusted, credible news to our audience. Because of you, your loyalty, your dedication, NBC News is an organization we can – and should - all be proud of. We will get through this together.

Steve Burke asked me to share the following message.

“This has been a painful period for all concerned and we appreciate your patience while we gathered the available facts. By his actions, Brian has jeopardized the trust millions of Americans place in NBC News. His actions are inexcusable and this suspension is severe and appropriate. Brian’s life’s work is delivering the news. I know Brian loves his country, NBC News and his colleagues. He deserves a second chance and we are rooting for him. Brian has shared his deep remorse with me and he is committed to winning back everyone’s trust.”

Deborah
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:22 pm

Good luck with that.
Once you break that trust with your audience, you are through.
He won't be back.
Leslie Roberts at Global Toronto found out that conflict of interest rules still will be upheld by any organization with balls.
Lying to your audience in a newscast or elsewhere violates every principle of newsgathering and dissemination.
It's the same as witholding vital facts to protect someone or something.
Yet we still have legislative reporters on radio and TV here in Vancouver whose spouses work for the Provincial Government.
Only the CBC finally took action after pressure from other news organizations to make a change.
The local news director tried to brush it under the rug, the Ombudsman found Conflict of Interest and the CBC President refused to deal with it.
Global and that Shaw owned radio station still don't care.
You're either squeaky clean and honest or you're dirty.
There is no in between.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:36 pm

Done like dinner.

Mr. Cleaver said it better than I can.

What a fool - a $10 million a year gig. This is the biggest downfall since - oh, I dunno, maybe Alan Freed, and Payola...? I

t's quite a story.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:17 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:This is the biggest downfall since - oh, I dunno, maybe Alan Freed, and Payola...? I

t's quite a story.

How quickly we forget===========Rolf Harris
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby SKradiophile » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:43 pm

There is no possible way for NBC or Williams himself to redeem him or his news department. The more the suits explore his other likely on air fabrications, the deeper in trouble he will become. But did not one other person either with him on any of those assignments or editors back in their perspective suites/offices catch any ONE of those to be false? Was Williams so revered/feared that not one person thought to take him aside and, say Brian, did that really happen that way? Now those in charge of the NBC news division are going to have to tap dance as quickly as humanly possible to never have this sort of event happen again. Saying that, looks like NBC Nightly News without Williams hasn't lost one eye ball so far and we know changing viewer habits for supper hour casts is often impossible to achieve. (Those incompetents at CBC offices however have mastered that impossible task handily and repeatedly since 1990.)
SKradiophile
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:29 pm

I can't believe all the holier-than-thou claptrap I'm reading here.
For pete's sake, it's not like he stole office supplies or any other criminal offense. I am fascinated that with all the bad stuff that is going on in the world, the media is so centred on ripping apart one of its own.
Take FOX 'News' - they present the 'facts' as suits their political style. A couple of weeks ago they were falling all over each other apologising after someone said part of an English city was a "no go zone" because of Muslims. Yes, I realize none of them are news anchors, but my guess is that they want to be perceived as one.

But back to Williams, yes, what he said happened varied from time to time. No one was physically hurt by what he said. Certainly his credibility will take a hit, but how many of us have been given a do-over when we screwed up at work. Give him the 6 months and let him come back. If the viewers don't come back, THEN make changes.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:35 pm

Good point. If I ask myself which Newsman I would trust, Brian Williams or some guy who makes outrageous medical or health claims in commercials for a product, yeah, Brian would get my vote.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen