Dan Burrett

News from the world of Television

Dan Burrett

Postby cart_machine » Wed May 06, 2015 2:56 pm

DAN BURRITT NAMED HOST OF CBC NEWS VANCOUVER SATURDAY & SUNDAY
May 6, 2015 – CBC British Columbia today announced the appointment of Dan Burritt as the new host and producer of CBC News Vancouver Saturday & Sunday. Burritt has been anchoring the weekend newscast since February, while reporting for CBC News Vancouver at 5 & 6 p.m.

“CBC British Columbia has always been rooted in the community, telling the compelling and unique stories of our audience,” says Johnny Michel, senior managing director of CBC British Columbia and Alberta. “Dan’s new role brings his strong reporting skills to the weekend and will further strengthen our local news offer.”

Burritt joined CBC British Columbia in 2012, first as a reporter in CBC’s Surrey bureau before landing at CBC News Vancouver as a reporter and backfill host. Prior to CBC, Burritt was a radio reporter and anchor after completing an undergraduate degree at The University of British Columbia (UBC) and earning his diploma in broadcast journalism from The British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT).

"I'm born and raised on the Lower Mainland, and feel a strong pride in reporting stories that matter most to people in Metro Vancouver,” says Burritt. “I’m thrilled to bring a fresh perspective to the newscast and connecting with our audiences as news breaks and stories develop across our region.”

Burritt replaces Renee Filippone, who is now based in Toronto as senior business reporter for CBC News.

CBC British Columbia has been strengthening its media platforms to meet the growing and changing needs of their audience. Continuous updates on local stories and breaking news are posted online throughout the day, with fresh content appearing across social media channels alongside a live blog and reporters’ tweets from the field. CBC’s mobile first strategy includes an intuitive CBC News app which is customizable by region with weather and traffic updates as well as the latest breaking headlines and on-demand content.

CBC News Vancouver airs weeknights at 5, 6 and 11 p.m., Saturdays at 10:30 p.m. and Sundays at 11 p.m. on CBC TV. CBC News Vancouver can also be seen on CHEK TV seven nights a week at 6 p.m.

CBC News Vancouver at 5 & 6 p.m. will be moving to a 60-minute format at 6 p.m. beginning this fall, with a continued focus on the best in investigative journalism and real-time conversations with the audience using social media. Viewers will see hourly news breaks throughout the afternoon and primetime, as well as expanded mobile content.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Re: Dan Burrett

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed May 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Dan is a fine guy and a good solid pro. Congratulations!

I enjoyed working with Dan, while we are at CKNW together.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Wed May 06, 2015 9:15 pm

That's great news... someone who presents rather than reads. Now at least I have a reason to catch CBC early evenings twice a week from CHEK. Filippone is a fine reporter, but had poor anchor delivery, to my mind.

Now if only they'd do something about Chatterbox Chang with his 'outros' to stories. I have no interest in hearing his opinons of how terrible/sad/horrible/awful some situation appears to be. Mind you, I'll never know as I gave up watching.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Re: Dan Burritt

Postby MonteVideo » Thu May 07, 2015 8:29 am

BURRITT

It's written at least six times in the release. That's what you get when you don't have professionals posting on the board.

As you were.
shoop shoop diddy wah
MonteVideo

Postby CraigMcCulloch » Thu May 07, 2015 2:14 pm

Great news. Dan is an outstanding journalist and a great guy to deal with in person. Hopefully, he will help bring back some ratings (yes, CBC should be capable of getting some) to that operation. There are some fine people working there...
CraigMcCulloch

Re: Dan Burritt

Postby xwdcatvb » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:31 pm

Is it just vacation time, or what?

Burritt really hasn't been seen consistenly on weekends since being named by CBC.

Sat/Sun 25/26 July, a Beeb import, Sonia Deol, has been cook-and-bottlewasher, even covering the weather inserts. Interestingly, there seemed to be more and shorter stories both evenings on the 6 pm 'casts carried by CHEK.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen